advertisement

Isle of Wight

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
We are thinking ahead to next year - post Easter. We've never been to the Isle of Wight, where is the best place (town/village) to stay, hotel recommendations?

Do you need a car?

Can you get there by helicoptor?

Are hellicoptors flown by pillots? And would they know the way to the Isle of White? ;)

(You can get to most places by helicopter - it's part of their appeal - it kinda depends where you're starting from.)

Not sure about helicopter but been there by racing yacht.
Are hellicoptors flown by pillots? And would they know the way to the Isle of White? ;)

(You can get to most places by helicopter - it's part of their appeal - it kinda depends where you're starting from.)

I went by racing yacht but never got past the beach, bbq and return, racing another yacht back.

Why?
I lived there 10 years and friends all over there still.
Once upon a time, The isle was like a 50's cartoon of a seaside town...crowded beaches smelling of sun tan lotion, screaming kids with candyfloss and coaches full of workers from the midland come for the sunshine and larfs. In remote corners, there did then exist quiet havens where more adventurous kids could splash on a rockpool beach. The Crab and Lobster at Bembridge really caught what you ate that day (my mates dad owned one of the boats), and the ferry only cost £5 for a return.

Most of that is gone now. They built 10,000 new homes, and even the caravan parks are closing down. Once posh Ventnor is now rotting noisily into a run down hole, and the good bits are now so remote even those who know where they are can't be assed going.

And for this, it's hundreds of pounds return.

I suggest you fly OVER it in your private helicopter, and land further west at some modern villa in posh land down the coast at Sandbanks. Much more you.

There is an alternative reply to this one, but you need the code 'I like the Isle of Wight' to unlock it ;)

If you want a sedate stay for genteel seniors, stay in Yarmouth or Ventnor St Lawrence (not Ventnor IMO) or Bonchurch; have a car; take the boat from Limington; drive to Limington through the New Forrest; this is an amusing restaurant, full of local colour

Salty's Bar & Restaurant, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, UK (saltysrestaurant.co.uk)

Can't recommend a hotel I'm afraid.

If you want something more "urban" (hardly the right word), well maybe the best you can do is Cowes.

The Hambrough in Ventnor is a decent hotel with good food, and the beach there really is quite pleasant, though it's a steep walk to the bottom. There are many decent artisan shops in the town. It's one of my favourite places on the IOW.

If you've never been, then it's worth doing, at least once. You definitely need a car to get around. All of the towns should be visited (Ryde, Sandown & Shanklin, Cowes, Newport, Yarmouth). You can head to the Needles, and get on the chair lift at Alum Bay, or walk on St. Boniface Down. Carisbrook Castle is an interesting place, as is the steam railway and Osborne House.

The Crab and Lobster is still going and a very nice place to visit. it takes about an hour to drive from one end of the Isle of Wight to the other and yes you will need a car if you want to visit all the interesting places. You have everything from the George at Yarmouth,(a Michelin stared chef has just opened a restaurant inside) to Warners adult only hotels/parks with every option in between. It has become the place for DFL's (Down from London) to flock to so prices can be expensive. If you just want to visit by helicopter you could always go to the Hut( https://thehutcolwell.co.uk/) for lunch it has it's own helipad, and a mooring if you would rather arrive by boat.

Glamping should suit, Go when they hold the next festival which is 16 -19 June. Probably get a deal with helicopter thrown in.

We rented a cottage in Ventnor to celebrate my 64th birthday! It's a Beatles thing ...

Bad memories. Was taken there by my parents in '63, weather was crap, occasionally worse. Dad had recently bought a Mini (the real one with clever engineering/suspension and a layer of salt under the primer). Enduring memory of introducing a fresh dog turd into the two cubic yard interior space on the sole of my shoes.

My partner's parents live their so we've visited frequently over the past 7 years or so, and we are getting married there in a couple of weeks time :)

Despite what a few here have said, I think it is a charming place with lots to offer, including a couple of great record shops! Like any 'classic' British seaside resorts, there are a few places which need some love, but it's pretty easy to see past or avoid these bits altogether. A car or alternative method of personal transport is definitely recommended to get to the good bits, but there are buses covering most of the Island.

We are actually staying at the Hambrough after our wedding for a couple of nights, and Ventnor is one of our favourite spots - it's really changed over the past couple of years with some great places to eat and probably the Island's best record shop - Reggies Retro!

Other things we've loved:
- Walk from Quarr Abbey to Ryde (Ryde has some great architecture and some interesting shops to browse)
- Walk along Appley beach to Seaview, nice cafe and pub along the way
- Cycling. Would love to do more there, but the ride alongside the Medina from Newport to East Cowes is off-road - lovely views, and pretty flat.
- Walk from Gurnard into West Cowes. Great views of the solent and the best side of Cowes to enjoy at the end, another good record shop too!
- Morning look around Yarmouth, lunch at the Off the Rails, then walk it off by doing the coastal walk to Colwell Bay, and then Totland if you're feeling fit.
- Steephill cove is lovely with some great spots to eat, and the coast walk back to Ventnor is great, but with a couple of steep (unsurprisingly) stepped sections.
- Walk from Shanklin Chine all the way along the promenade to Sandown and beyond if you want.
- Lunch or dinner at Woods Kitchen or Taverners in Godshill
- Osbourne House and the grounds are stunning, try and go when they have most of the house open (they sometimes don't), V&A chose that spot for a reason!
- Drive/ride along the Military Road and stop at a couple of the beaches, the view along the road is awesome

Yep, lots of walking there :)

Honda 70 tell em your joey dunlops social workers window cleaners twice removed 3rd cousin with social skills of a failed tory representative in Greenock and non glamper but fond of lamb cheeks on a bed of kuss kuss and cant take a puissant of ribbing but your an expert at anything that costs a fortune. Love ya loads x.

advertisement

Back