advertisement

Graham ( Chartwell ) LS 3/5A vs. LS6 vs. LS 5/9

Chris81

pfm Member
Hello,
I'm currently listening to a pair of Graham Chartwell LS 3/5A but I'm curious how the other speakers LS6 and LS 5/9 will sound and if they are significantly better.

My room is relative small 3,155m by 4,49m (14sqm) and I'm sitting 1,7m away so close to near field conditions.

I really like the nimble, detailed and detailed midrange, the imaging and that the speakers completely disappear. They also work very well in the small room and the room nodes are relativ low.

I'm curios if the LS6 and / or LS5/9 are better in every way or if there will be disadvantages too if I will switch to one of them.

If I wish for something to improve with the LS3/5a it would be a deeper bass and more air (no more brightness!)

The LS5/9 will play deeper but won't give me more air because of its larger diameter dome tweeter.

The LS6 will also play a bit deeper but I have read that the bass isn't as tight or more on the soft and warm side. They will probably will have a bit more air.

I would appreciate you experiences with these three speakers and how you would describe them in comparison.

I believe @RossB has had direct experience with a few of the Graham models and has commented here before on them relative to each other.

I have read his posts in the Graham LS5/9 thread. I'm a bit confused because @Ayya Khema described the LS5/9 as slightly bright in the HF. In a German review the LS5/9 was described as a bit dark and warm. @Strictly Stereo measured the LS 5/9 in room and I didn't see any signs for this compared to the LS6 he also measured at the same position.

Last edited:
Graham makes great speakers, I'd pick the LS6 over LS3/5a.
That is if room is not larger than say 25-35 sqm. (14-15 sqm sound ideal if you can get them out from wall.)

I have experienced the ls6, ls5/9 and owned Falcon ls3/5a gold badges. The latter are the best for nearfield overall.The ls5/9 work really well in small rooms for such a big cabinet and the bass and mid are spot on but in my opinion the top is not as extended (some people like that). The ls6 top is great the mid not as good as ls3/5 and bass is definitely not as tight as either ls3/5 or 9. Shame you can’t pick the best bits of each but hey ho!

I have the LS 5/9 run by a Belles SA30 class A power amp and a Supratek Cabernet pre in a 4.27cm x4.20cm so the dreaded square room!
Sounds sublime, but I very seldom play very loud and I sit kind of in a near field position so it works wonderfully for me.

I've owned LS3/5As for over 40 years so am very familiar with the sound. I've tried to find a "better" speaker (Aerial 5B, LS5/12A, Harbeth P3-ESR) but always come back to the humble LS3/5A. I did recently have the opportunity to hear the LS6 (not sure why they call it an LS6 - its nothing like the Rogers LS6 of yore). Very nice speaker but absolutely nothing like the LS3/5A. It wouldn't work for me but you may like it.

Why are all these names in two parts?. Does 5/9 signify something? Does P3-ESR or LS3/5A mean anything? Curious - so many BBC related speakers use this terminology. Maybe I have missed something?

Why are all these names in two parts?. Does 5/9 signify something? Does P3-ESR or LS3/5A mean anything? Curious - so many BBC related speakers use this terminology. Maybe I have missed something?
  • LS1/ - general use (offices, content monitoring, etc)
  • LS2/ - drive units
  • LS3/ - for OB use
  • LS5/ - for studio use
The number after the slash is simply the number assigned to a design, given out in order.

Don't confuse any Graham Audio speaker number with the BBC or Rogers originals.

Yes they make superb loudspeakers, no question, but their numbering is pure marketing speak. The worst example being LS5/8. BBC originals are active with separate power amps including inbuilt crossovers. Quad or Chord manufactured. The Graham one is passive.

• LS1/ - general use (offices, content monitoring, etc)
  • LS2/ - drive units
  • LS3/ - for OB use
  • LS5/ - for studio use
The number after the slash is simply the number assigned to a design, given out in order.

Don't confuse any Graham Audio speaker number with the BBC or Rogers originals.

Yes they make superb loudspeakers, no question, but their numbering is pure marketing speak. The worst example being LS5/8. BBC originals are active with separate power amps including inbuilt crossovers. Quad or Chord manufactured. The Graham one is passive.

Grahams', like Stirling Broadcasts', are (spec-meeting) BBC-licensed and they actually measure better than the original-Rogers equivalents.

I would agree that current-Rogers are not at the same level.

Grahams', like Stirling Broadcasts', are (spec-meeting) BBC-licensed and they actually measure better than the original-Rogers equivalents.

I would agree that current-Rogers are not at the same level.
The only BBC licence these days is commercial. They may measure better (and even sound better) but IMHO that doesn't justify the terminology.

The only BBC licence these days is commercial. They may measure better (and even sound better) but IMHO that doesn't justify the terminology.

If they are replicas or revised versions using modern drivers and electronics components why not?

advertisement

Back