advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

In a sane country the democrats would wipe the floor with the republicans in the mid terms.

AIUI technically they do, the electoral collage is just rigged to weight the old slave states in a design flaw dating back to the very beginning. Just like the Tories in the UK the Republicans could never win a fair fight. They need a heavily stacked table. The Democrats win the popular vote, and usually by several millions.

AIUI technically they do, the electoral collage is just rigged to weight the old slave states in a design flaw dating back to the very beginning. Just like the Tories in the UK the Republicans could never win a fair fight. They need a heavily stacked table. The Democrats win the popular vote, and usually by several millions.

This is true in the presidential election, but not the senate or the house.
The senate is, of course, strongly geared toward minority rule, but the democrats can hold the senate if only they get out the vote in the swing states.
The house is only biased in as much as the districts are gerrymandered, something which both parties have been up to (I suspect, but don't know if the GOP have been more successful in their gerrymandering.

This is true in the presidential election, but not the senate or the house.
The senate is, of course, strongly geared toward minority rule, but the democrats can hold the senate if only they get out the vote in the swing states.
The house is only biased in as much as the districts are gerrymandered, something which both parties have been up to (I suspect, but don't know if the GOP have been more successful in their gerrymandering.

In many states you'll see that the actual number of votes cast for Democratic congresscritters exceeds the votes cast for GOP ones, but due to the way the districts are drawn the state will have more GOP reps than DEM.

I suppose there is still some hope that multiple GOP persons will be damaged by the House open Jan 6 hearings.

There is definitely enough there, there for the hearings to have an effect especially with independents. My doubts are more about how well the Dems are going to do teh politics of it to maximise there advantage.

Same with the Roe vs Wade / SCOTUS stuff as well. The two together should be enough to make some difference.

In many states you'll see that the actual number of votes cast for Democratic congresscritters exceeds the votes cast for GOP ones, but due to the way the districts are drawn the state will have more GOP reps than DEM.

They used to call that a putsch. Something that happened elsewhere.

Last edited:
If they GOP gain control, they'll will carve out an exception to the filibuster to pass a national ban on abortions. The Democrats aren't willing to do the same thing to protect abortion rights, mainly due the 2 senators you mention.
Willing or not, they are not able, due to the two senators you mention.

According to the Washington Post

“Victories by Mastriano, Budd show potency of Trump’s false stolen election claims in GOP

Republican candidates who sought to overturn the 2020 election won statewide primaries in Pennsylvania and North Carolina on Tuesday, reflecting the lingering influence in the GOP of former president Donald Trump’s false claims that the vote was rigged against him.”

Sadly, it would appear the rumours of Trump’s demise are not true

I don’t understand US politics well enough to independently fact-check this, but it looks like a huge amount (a 4TB drive) of evidence has just been released in ‘discovery’ against the ‘Proud Boys’ militia relating to the Jan 6th coup attempt (Twitter). Hopefully a lot of them will be going down for a very long time.

Found this:
According to court filings, federal prosecutors have shared more than 24,000 files consisting of closed circuit video from the U.S. Capitol Police, police body-worn camera footage from multiple law enforcement agencies, and Secret Service surveillance footage. Files have been made available via two different databases.

The defense was grousing about it, I think maybe they think they are being snowed with too much evidence to review. https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol...osecutors-over-access-to-pre-trial-discovery/

This is interesting too; the suggestion that certain Republicans with access may have led one or more ‘tours’ the day before that gave Trump’s thug militias a reconnaissance opportunity (Twitter). Looks like there may be video evidence. I’ve also read suggestions that the building was closed to the public on the 5th due to covid, which would make any such tour all the more damning.

It has been over a year since Democrats accused the GOP of providing Capitol tours prior to January 6th. The accusations were, of course, denied.

A letter has now been sent to Rep. Barry Loudermilk of Georgia.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/politics/barry-loudermilk-capitol-tour-january-6/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/politics/barry-loudermilk-capitol-tour-january-6/index.html

“…The letter notes the committee has reviewed evidence that "directly contradicts" previous claims by Republican lawmakers who said security footage from the days before January 6 shows "[t]here were no tours, no large groups, no one with MAGA hats on" of the US Capitol complex.”

In other words, the GOP lied about this, and now they’ve been caught.

Edit: Tony got there before me.

Republicans are appointing partisan election officials as fast as possible. With a partisan Supreme Court in place will the USA be a democracy, however flawed, at all much longer ?

If the Democrats lose the next election America is over. I can’t see democratic process surviving if a now clearly ‘Dark MAGA’ (i.e. fascist) Republican party win. Ireally do think things are that close.

One PoV: a clear majority of Republican voters in PA supported a black woman or a Muslim. Democrats take note.

This is interesting too; the suggestion that certain Republicans with access may have led one or more ‘tours’ the day before that gave Trump’s thug militias a reconnaissance opportunity (Twitter). Looks like there may be video evidence. I’ve also read suggestions that the building was closed to the public on the 5th due to covid, which would make any such tour all the more damning.

There were already stories of this by Jan 7.

Barry Loudermilk is now my second favourite American name. Madison Bumgarner remains a solid #1.

advertisement

Back