advertisement

Whisky II

Went new bottle crazy last night (cabinet door won't quite close):
Green Spot - nice easy sipper; cookie dough; malty.
Lum Reek 10 cask strength - Walker's peated blend. Not as in yer face as the Benromach Peat Smoke Sherry cask but seemed to go down rather quickly.
On offer at £50 here and another 8.25% off with Topcashback:
https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/produ...-strength-batch-1-blended-malt-scotch-whisky/
Last dram was the BBR Williamson 2014 - if you like Laphroaig you'll love this. Had a second one.

Funny old lot the F&F. Plenty still around at decent prices, while others about as available as rocking horse shit. Beautiful labels tho,’ it must be said.
You probably know but Rosebank* = closed distillery so "Fly me to the Moon".
Roy Duff said if you ever see one in the wild at RRP buy it but for gawdsake don't open it!

*"In October 2017, Ian Macleod Distillers announced that they had acquired the Rosebank Whisky trademark from Diageo and the site from Scottish Canals in order to re-establish Rosebank Whisky by building a new distillery and re-commencing production in the old style.

Rosebank distillery expects to reopen in July 2022. Full planning permission has been granted and the contractor ISG is now working on the site. Fans have been publicly excited for the grand return."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosebank_distillery

You probably know but Rosebank* = closed distillery so "Fly me to the Moon".
Roy Duff said if you ever see one in the wild at RRP buy it but for gawdsake don't open it!
Yeah I did actually have one, opened and drank it about 10-15 years ago. It’s my Japanese collection I can’t bear to open now.

Speaking of which my spies tell me:
"Longrow 18 (2018), some kilkerran, and springbank 10 available at Bacchanalia, Cambridge."

Hi there,

I’ve great memories of rosebank back in the day when it was readily available and was lucky enough to visit the distillery when in production. If I remember correctly it was unusual in that it used triple distillation. These days if I have one recommendation to make it would be Benromach which in recent years has become my go to. Ps never forget craigellachie.

Regards Brian

Benromach is another distillery on my to-try list. The 10 seems good value? As do the cask strength expressions. Thoughts?

Benromach is another distillery on my to-try list. The 10 seems good value? As do the cask strength expressions. Thoughts?
As @Cambs12 said the experienced Drinkers say Benromach is like old school stuff...a good thing, not subtle though...which suits me.
The 10 is often under £30 and definitely worth it at that price.
The Peat Smoke Sherry Casks is like an Islay with smoke dialled down and more bonfire than iodine...Lagavulin rather than Laphroaig. Paid low £40s for mine and very happy at that price.
I haven't opened the CS yet...hmm.

Cheers all, sounds promising. I recall a slightly tipsy conversation with an Irishman who highly recommended a cask strength Scotch, and I’m pretty sure it was a Benromach. I shall grab a basket and toddle off to MoM

How you finding the Loch?
It’s beginning to open out a little now, after being open a week- ten days and a few pours later. The rough edges have been sanded off and it’s settling down into a vaguely Caol Ila-ish coastal, lemony flavour. Not too bad but I still don’t think I’d rush out and restock.

Ralfy gently slaughters the new(ish) Ben Nevis 10:

Now most of the time I think I'm clueless but I have one of these and have been less than impressed with it: for pretty much the same reasons as Ralfy states ..maybe I'm starting to get it.
I also have a spare as I bought two last year on reputation...not good...

Ralfy gently slaughters the new(ish) Ben Nevis 10:

Now most of the time I think I'm clueless but I have one of these and have been less than impressed with it ..maybe I'm starting to get it.
I also have a spare as I bought two last year on reputation...not good...
Re: his ownership comments. Things might have improved since I toured the distillery several years ago and was quite struck by how tatty the place was. At the end of the tour you didn’t even get a customary drop of single malt, but a shot of their ‘Spirit of Ben Nevis’ blend. Bunnahabhainn proves a distillery that doesn’t polish up its metalwork doesn’t signal poor spirit. But I did get the impression that Ben Nevis was less than loved by its owners (at that time Beam Suntory-I think). I haven’t had a bottle for a good few years but have to say the couple I do remember were very good indeed.

I'm trying not to tell people, but the Benromach 15 year old is ridiculous value if you like a well-balanced sherried highland malt. Just don't tell anyone....

I've been to the distillery a couple of times, probably 40 years and a couple of owners apart. It used to be a well-kept local secret,with the vast majority of the output going to blends (they told us 1% or so went to single malt bottlings). Now more modern outlook (and labels) but still very decent malt. Another favourite of mine is the peated special that they produce once a year - and only under pressure - which doesn't have an age statement and is excellent value, if a bit uncomplicated.

If only I hadn't drunk the bottles from 40 years ago, I could have cashed in!

advertisement

Back