advertisement

Juan-les-Pins in August

Seanm

pfm Member
Anyone any experience? Have a family holiday to south of France in mind and this seems to tick a few boxes.

Anyone any experience? Have a family holiday to south of France in mind and this seems to tick a few boxes.

It will be quite crowded in August. It's small, touristy and quite chic, it has a nice little beach, you will probably see some magnificent yachts, there are decent restaurants, it's not cheap but not outrageously expensive. In August it can get really hot and it can get really windy, but you'll cope, it's not that bad. You can explore nice places nearby -- small coastal resorts, places off the tourist trap in the hills, Cannes, Nice, Aix etc. You don't really need a car to get around the coast, but it helps. You probably need a car to go into the inland (which I like very much -- some nice mountainous regions there.)

I certainly wouldn't mind staying there in August! I say yes.

My SiL used to live around there. It's absolutlely lovely in April/May but full of 'money' in Summer. I prefer the Catalan, Vermilion Coast to Nice.

I prefer the other end as in Canet near Perpignan.

Great little local wines, more relaxed, found some very good restaurants and decent shops for self catering.

Nice was nice, went a couple of times when we had a son living there, Marseille had some good bits, daughter lived there.

As Mandryka implies i'd avoid August, can be very hot and packed.

If you're driving in mid summer i'd try and do it at night, esp if you've got kids and they'll sleep in the car.

After couple of Med holidays in recent years involved suffering in high 30s temperatures, I've resolved to avoid hot regions in July and August. And I like hot weather, but pushing 40 is too much. Also, August is very busy in all the usual Southern Europe resorts and bet avoided unless you like crowds and peak prices.

Cote Vermeille does look lovely, and September the better bet. We're constrained by school holidays unfortunately, and reliance on an airport that serves London and Belfast (2nd leg of our summer tour), and our refusal to drive :rolleyes:.

Google's giving me 27 degrees average for Juan-les-Pins in August. That would be lovely. But not the true picture?

Juan les Pins (and more generally the Antibes area) is a nice place, but it will be very crowded in August, so you need to organize accordingly. Best to stay in a place where you don't need transport to get to the beach (assuming you want to spend a lot of time at the beach). September would be better if you are not limited by school holidays etc., and June even better. As others have said, expect temperatures in the high 30s, but the Med does cool things by 4-5 degrees (inland, it can get to the low 40s these days).

My daughter's in Ardeche now and it's forecast to be 29/30C over the weekend; she's coming back to England for August!

There is such a thing as too hot.
I lived in France, Loire valley area, in summer 2003, the heatwave. It was brutal. Day after day of 35 deg C. 30C in the office. It was awful. I remember one evening after work cycling home, and the breeze felt like opening an oven door. There were a couple of weekends when I couldn't even bear to go out. I avoid France for 6 weeks beteen mid June and early August. It generally eases a little in August, but you are a long way south.

In our experience, the trouble with the South of France is that the whole of France relocates there for August. So it's crowded and stinking hot. We always went in September (the Swiss schools have a holiday then, but the French ones done). It was still pleasantly warm and you could fire a cannon down most of the streets with minimal danger of hitting anyone.

It’s 34 degrees in SE Switzerland today, never before seen temperatures, so anything it possible as far as August heat in the Med is concerned. I think you’ll find it a busy, buzzy, very pleasant place to visit and stay. I’ve got friends with a place in Mougins (round the coast and inland a bit) and have visited a few times in August and always enjoyed it. Be aware of what you’re going into, and enjoy it.
We’ve got our first year of having to adhere to school summer holiday dates, so peak time in the Algarve it will be for us. I’d argue that’s less pleasant than J-l-P at the same time!

Think we’ve got your number now Sean,

I've seen all your qualifications
You got from the Sorbonne
And the painting you stole from Picasso
Your loveliness goes on and on, yes, it does
When you go on your summer vacation
You go to Juan-les-Pins

Google's giving me 27 degrees average for Juan-les-Pins in August. That would be lovely. But not the true picture?

Bear in mind that 27 degrees will be mean, there will be a significant variance, and there may be days in August when it's heavy, suffocating. There's a culture of siesta, when the sun is at its strongest, which is nice, so you have lunch and chill at home between 2 and 4. The problem is at night, if you've got aircon you can cool the place down before going to bed and keep a window open at night. Honestly the heat is not a big deal for me and I'm pretty fussy. If anything I get more annoyed by the mistral -- but if that blows strongly it tends to be only for a couple of days max. Your kids will love the mistral, it'll whip them up.

This year is seeing record breaking temperatures for May -- so, obviously, no-one can predict the weather.

I lived in France, Loire valley area, in summer 2003, the heatwave. It was brutal. Day after day of 35 deg C. 30C in the office. It was awful. I remember one evening after work cycling home, and the breeze felt like opening an oven door. There were a couple of weekends when I couldn't even bear to go out. I avoid France for 6 weeks beteen mid June and early August. It generally eases a little in August, but you are a long way south.
We were in Paris for this and loved it! Although my wife did get heatstroke, and our neighbour was hospitalised. We used to sit around in parks in the midday sun, drinking. No sense at all.

How old are the kids, Sean? The younger they are, the more of a PITA they’ll be. Ice creams, crepes and soft drinks will be top price and the kids’ll be constantly whining about the heat (is my experience). Also, most of Paris (it feels like) relocates to that coast in August.

advertisement

Back