advertisement

Rega Saturn-r to Rega Saturn mk3. Not merely a cosmetic change!

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Enjoyed my Rega Saturn-r, but took the plunge and traded in the -r for the mk3 (visually matches the rest of my Rega gear nicely) despite a guy at Rega previously informing me that it was only a cosmetic change over the previous model!
But, when installed at home, I can confirm that it is indeed a step up, being more detailed, and controlled sounding, with better bass definition and instrument separation than the previous model. And in my home the difference was immediately discernible. Now really enjoying CD again as my second source. Highly recommended player, but still bemused as to why the manufacturer says that there is no difference in the sound over the previous model. Whatever changes were made in design of the mk3 have clearly had a positive impact on the sound, or is it my imagination?

Maybe your Saturn-r had a slight issue and had been performing sub-optimally all this time? I have always wondered whenever I buy a new piece of hardware 'what if I get a duff one, how would I know, would I be able to hear it?'

I thought it had been discussed that it was indeed different not just a case update?

From their webpage
  • Enhanced output amplifier circuit
  • Enhanced digital power supplies

Could be right Tiernose, but why seagullsnacker, did not the rep at Rega advise, yes improved, and due to ‘enhanced output amplifier circuit/enhanced digital power supplies’??

Thanks For the reply Paul. Anyway, very happy with it, and it is certainly, in my view, an improvement on the outgoing model, both sonically and visually.

I thought it had been discussed that it was indeed different not just a case update?

From their webpage
  • Enhanced output amplifier circuit
  • Enhanced digital power supplies
That's what they said when they changed from the Saturn to the Saturn-R.
Let's see if they have improved the software, I had problems with a Saturn-R that stayed frozen stopped regularly. I also don't like its internal construction, all complex surface SMD electronics and Chinese Sam Young electrolytics. It would be nice if the nichicon fine gold from the first Saturn-R series had been mounted again.

Rega are in the habit of making small, incremental upgrades to their components throughout their lives without telling anyone so it's not a big surprise if a new Saturn sounds a bit better than an older one for that reason alone. I'm just glad they're keeping it in production, it's a great machine.

Enjoyed my Rega Saturn-r, but took the plunge and traded in the -r for the mk3 (visually matches the rest of my Rega gear nicely) despite a guy at Rega previously informing me that it was only a cosmetic change over the previous model!
But, when installed at home, I can confirm that it is indeed a step up, being more detailed, and controlled sounding, with better bass definition and instrument separation than the previous model. And in my home the difference was immediately discernible. Now really enjoying CD again as my second source. Highly recommended player, but still bemused as to why the manufacturer says that there is no difference in the sound over the previous model. Whatever changes were made in design of the mk3 have clearly had a positive impact on the sound, or is it my imagination?

British understatement? Glad you are enjoying your new CD Player.:)

Ron,
I got the new Saturn R - 3 months ago and love it.I had an old Planet before and the Saturn is so much refined.Really enjoy playing CDs on it.
Fabulous player and as an Aethos user theirs really great synergy with it.Can't stop buying albums on CD off E bay and classical from charity shops.It's really made me enjoy CD like never before.
Have used an old Pioneer PDS 801 as a transport on optical out and it sounded pretty decent on the Saturn dac.
There's a real zest and vitality and as you say no digital coldness about the sound.Sounds like a well sorted turntable to my ears.

Yes Miss Ariel,
I too have an Aethos. Great amp!
I concur with your views of the Saturn-r, a really enjoyable listen, which I could enjoy, in spite of having recourse to an ‘Akurate’ level LP12. Sometimes had to remind myself that I was not listening to analogue, which is the highest praise, but Cd’s seem to be a safer buy in many respects, as the number of returned as defective, warped or noisey vinyls i’ve Had to deal with, has been significant. How come I didn’t encounter such problems with my old vinyls, some of which I purchased fifty years ago, and which still sound great?
The Saturn mk3, to my ears is a little more controlled and more detailed sounding unit than the Saturn-r, but they’re both great players

Ron

Concur with what your saying about Vinyl and especially new vinyl.I have about 2500 albums and last year I got a copy of Pink Floyds Animals on a remastered 180 g copy to replace my old copy.
It was £25 but their was a slight scratch on the first song only for 20 seconds.But not something I was expecting.The same on Genesis Seconds Out album also on 180 g vinyl a scratch on the pressing not serious but slightly annoying.So I am slighty weary about buying new vinyl especially at the retail cost.
So for me and what you say cheap as chips CDs there's never any issues just put on and play and enjoy.
This week I got the Beatles Sargent Pepper on CD £ 3 off E bay as my vinyl was a bit scratchy.I was just astonished how great it sounded.
Like you I have an Akurate level LP12 and its so nice to enjoy either medium and TBH since getting the Saturn listen to far more CDs then vinyl.
Just love the vibrancy about the sound - imaging - separation is first class,you can follow everything in the mix easily.
It just paints a really cohesive musical picture and with a very well recorded CD on par with my LP12 .

Whilst playing around with The new Saturn, thought there was a little harshness in the top end, on some cd’s (probably less well mastered cd’s, I suspected) but I recently upgraded my interconnects between my Rega Aria 3 phono stage and Aethos amplifier, and suddenly thought why not try these same interconnects in place of my trusty Rega Couple mk 1 interconnect. Massive improvement! but then they were 4 times the cost of the Couples, so would be expected to be! More detailed and separated, sweeter top, and therefore more engaging. Couldn’t listen to the Couple again. Perhaps, however, the latest incarnation of the Couple has improved?
Incredible what improvements can be wrought by such changes, and how an interconnect can hold back a system!

Whilst playing around with The new Saturn, thought there was a little harshness in the top end, on some cd’s (probably less well mastered cd’s, I suspected) but I recently upgraded my interconnects between my Rega Aria 3 phono stage and Aethos amplifier, and suddenly thought why not try these same interconnects in place of my trusty Rega Couple mk 1 interconnect. Massive improvement! but then they were 4 times the cost of the Couples, so would be expected to be! More detailed and separated, sweeter top, and therefore more engaging. Couldn’t listen to the Couple again. Perhaps, however, the latest incarnation of the Couple has improved?
Incredible what improvements can be wrought by such changes, and how an interconnect can hold back a system!

What are the new interconnects you tried? I have an Osiris and Aria 3 and currently have a very basic cheap interconnect so would be interested to know what you tried that worked.

Massive improvement! but then they were 4 times the cost of the Couples, so would be expected to be! More detailed and separated, sweeter top, and therefore more engaging.

I think the Couple is fine. It's not the best cable but it's not the most expensive so that's ok. The cables I have are better than the Couple but they cost more so.

Like you I have an Akurate level LP12 and its so nice to enjoy either medium and TBH since getting the Saturn listen to far more CDs then vinyl.

That is interesting. Since building my latest LP12 I have not listened to CD at all! I love the Saturn-R, great machine, but the LP12 is a lot better. The Saturn is not even on the rack right now.

That is interesting. Since building my latest LP12 I have not listened to CD at all! I love the Saturn-R, great machine, but the LP12 is a lot better. The Saturn is not even on the rack right now.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations Colin on building a peach of an LP12.
It's great having 2 sources which are pretty well matched.Like you my LP 12 just shades it with the Saturn R.But I so love the lack of fath about the CD format and track access.
If the Saturn R isn't even on your rack maybe lend it to Derek...only a suggestion ;)

advertisement

Back