advertisement

Naim Nait 3 or Linn Majik? or...?

RichShortland

pfm Member
Hi all
Looking for a basic integrated (ideally with MM phono) to drive small bookshelf speakers (JPW Sonata) in a downscaled system for a while.
Thinking of a Naim Nait 3 or a Linn Majik.
Which would you choose?
Or what else at this budget? <£300
Thanks

They sound quite different but both have their fans.

The Nait can still be serviced by Naim (or a Naim agent using Naim parts) which is a plus point for me.

I've not idea which will fit better in your setup or suit your ears best :)

Note that Naim amps require 3m+ of suitable speaker cable, such as Naim NAC A5 or Linn K20 - both on sale today.

I'm using a Naim Nait 3 into a pair of JPW ML 510's at this very moment and to me it sounds really good. My Nait was serviced by Class A a year ago so its performing well. I also have an A&R A60 that is with AmpRepairServices for a service and recap and that will be interesting to compare with the Naim as it sounded pretty good before it was sent away.

There's this if its not too far away from you. https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-stereo-audio/naim-nait-3-amplifier-hifi-audio-/1424298065

And this, its newer model than mine and decent price. https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/cambridge-a-r-integrated-amplifier-a60/1432271035

A60 has mono button too. And it looks like its the AP model with Pre Out and Power in socket.

I went from a NAIT 3 to a Majik in my office, purely because I wanted remote control so I could mute it when the phone goes etc. Both great amps for what they cost me and nothing much to choose between sound wise, IMO.
Actually I'm currently using an ARCAM Delta 290, purchased from @Whaleblue earlier this year, which is also pretty decent.

I'm using a Naim Nait 3 into a pair of JPW ML 510's at this very moment and to me it sounds really good. My Nait was serviced by Class A a year ago so its performing well. I also have an A&R A60 that is with AmpRepairServices for a service and recap and that will be interesting to compare with the Naim as it sounded pretty good before it was sent away.

There's this if its not too far away from you. https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-stereo-audio/naim-nait-3-amplifier-hifi-audio-/1424298065

And this, its newer model than mine and decent price. https://www.gumtree.com/p/amplifiers/cambridge-a-r-integrated-amplifier-a60/1432271035

A60 has mono button too. And it looks like its the AP model with Pre Out and Power in socket.

Thanks for that - good shout on the A60

I went from a NAIT 3 to a Majik in my office, purely because I wanted remote control so I could mute it when the phone goes etc. Both great amps for what they cost me and nothing much to choose between sound wise, IMO.
Actually I'm currently using an ARCAM Delta 290, purchased from @Whaleblue earlier this year, which is also pretty decent.

Good to hear from a user of both the Naim/Linn - I'm wondering if the Naim just edges in terms of re-saleability, but probably not by much.
And interesting about the Arcam. Always found that era Arcam a bit laid back..?

I would go for the Nait 3 as it’s more robust and easier to service than the Linn.
For the price, the Nait 3 is a little gem IMO.

So… @Fergus I bagged an A60 (and matching tuner) for what looks like a decent £
Is a late one with the alps pots, pre/out and phono rcas.
Looking forward to giving it a whirl once connected. I’ll take a view then about a recap / service at some point.
Thanks all for the views and hep.

JUst talking about this the other day with a friend, asked about an inexpensive integrated for a 2nd system and the Majik came up -a real workhorse, well built & sounds great fro what it is, and comes with a MM/MC option- but their all getting quite old now and we never liked the cheap look of the newer Naits, although the 1 & 2 were classics. ...But then we wondered how the new Regas -io & Brio?- would stack up as one would get 20 trouble free years out of a new unit compared to the classic Majiks/Naits which may already need recapping/servicing to some degree to consider, and the costs associated with that in addition to the purchase price. But would love to A/B/C/D all of them together.

Last edited:
So… @Fergus I bagged an A60 (and matching tuner) for what looks like a decent £
Is a late one with the alps pots, pre/out and phono rcas.
Looking forward to giving it a whirl once connected. I’ll take a view then about a recap / service at some point.
Thanks all for the views and hep.
Excellent. I’m sure you will enjoy it. The later ones with the Alps pots are supposed to be the best version. Nice to get the tuner too.

I should be getting my A60 back from ARS early next week. It has been serviced, recapped and had an Alps Blue pot fitted for just over £200. I’m really looking forward to putting it up against my Nait 3. Along with my Technics SL-10 one of them will be part of my downsized system for my dotage! If it’s close the A60’s trump card could be it’s mono button for all my “old” records. Cheers

I ran my BC1s from an A60 for a short time in the late ‘70s and enjoyed the experience.
Then I tried a Meridian 101/103D combination and that stayed for many years.

Last edited:
You could save considerable GBPs here. A60, indeed; also you could much much worse than a 90s Yamaha integrated. My bottom-of-the-middle-range sample c. 1991 is my amplifier of the moment. It drives both LS3/5as & JPW Gold Monitors with aplomb. Very detailed; 65W; tone controls with bypass if you like. There's no mono switch but the next model up (AX-550?) has one as well as pre-out & remote control.

Don't rule out Rotel integrated, some great buys and not as old but very well put together.
I really like the RA 05 SE in isolation just as enjoyable as nait5i only when back to back I can tell the difference.
Many other really good Rotel amps with full remote control and am told decent phono stages I can't comment on that sorry

advertisement

Back