advertisement

For lovers of exotic cables...

I struggle to see the performance advantage of using a very conductive material (tellurium copper) coated in a relatively far less conductive material (rhodium). Then again, I'm so far outside the target demographic for this product I don't even show up on their market research reports.
Rhodium is a good contact plating metal since it is resistant to corrosion while having low electrical resistance and better durability than gold. It is also ludicrously expensive. For domestic audio applications, gold or even nickel plating is perfectly adequate.

The difference between solid copper plugs and brass plugs might be a fraction of a m-ohm. About the same difference as adding 10cm to the wires. Ie absolutely SFA.

What did you think when you heard a system using them ?
So the system was running Siltech, which I usually like. However when Jack put the copper cables in there was a definite uplift in quality. Then the silver version went in, and i thought this was going to get bright but it didn’t it just brought more of everything.

Now ive never found Siltech to be dull but in comparison in that system they certainly sounded it. But I don’t think the inakustik would sound good in a bright system, they would be too much.

My late friend Pete Skinner gave me some LFD cables..and my hifi then sounded completely different..so much better!

Always good fun when you can have a major impact on someone's hifi life.

One of my oldest friends, who like me had pretty much given up on 'serious hifi' from the mid '90s, came round to my house in 2004 to hear my then recently acquired system; Opus 21, Sugden MasterClass and LV OBX-R2s, Finite Elemente Master Reference rack, and cables at that point would have been from LV and Electrofluidics IIRC.

He just about battered himself black & blue playing drums on his thighs for two or three hours.

Fast forward the best part of two decades and he's now got a system with so many zeroes in the price tag it would make Rishi Sunak blink.

Needless to say, his wife has never forgiven me...

One thing that confuses me about the audiophile cable market is I’d have thought the set-up costs were huge unless you are simply printing a brandname on a commonly available design from an existing major cable supplier, e.g. IIRC both Linn K20 and Naim A4 speaker cable was the same stock BICC stuff with a different colour sleeve and the brandnane stamped in.

In a declining market such as two-channel audio it would surely be prohibitively expensive to do much more than this below say vdH or Kimber level who have been well established for decades. Far easier for someone to knock out a new amp, pair of speakers or whatever as you can get boards stamped out by PCBWay, it is easy to find companies who will CNC small batches of cases/cabs, and everything else can be bought off the shelf. A genuinely new cable would need a lot of real investment, surely?

There's plenty of oems who will brand up anything you want from their catalogue. The moq's won't be small, but the price per unit pretty modest.

There's plenty of oems who will brand up anything you want from their catalogue. The moq's won't be small, but the price per unit pretty modest.

Yes, I realise that and cited a pretty famous example, but if one wants something sufficiently fancy to write a page of implausible prose about with cross sectional renderings etc exposing the ‘unique technology’ and it not to be easily recognisable or infringe any other brand selling the same thing, surely that costs?

I'm not sure it does Tony. That's just made of lacquered silver wire, some Teflon tube, a bit of 3d printing and a bucket load of bling. Compared to the msrp I bet the BOM is a 10th.

I guess this comes down to how you enjoy your hobby.

Offering what seems to be an incompletely finished product for that much, requiring the customer to pay extra for burn-in and/or special burn-in to complete its manufacture, is surely something only a high-end audiophile could love. In my world the customer would be livid, but I assume RK & RA know their customers.

Different "end points" for different burn-in options? If so, that's an innovation that had not occurred to me.

I once had occasion to consult the Gore Aerospace catalogue.

The description of how one of their cables was constructed rang a bell. Sure enough on checking it was very close indeed to the details on a particular high-end audio cable's web page. That's not conclusive, of course, but certainly suspicious.

Is there something about the requirements for operating reliably in an airframe that aligns with what you need in a high-end home audio system?

Hi, yes they may be £35k but but did you read the add properly, £3% off if you go to Brugg to pick them up, I'm on the phone :eek: :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back