advertisement

New gas combi boiler quote

Ponty

pfm Member
The gas boiler in Mum’s flat is about 20 years old (Worcester). She has a maintenance contract with a local firm who are very good. Their top level support will not be available moving forward due to age and parts availability. We asked about replacement and they’ve quoted for a Worcester Greenstar 4000 30kW combi boiler. Fully installed with clean and flush of the system etc is £3,183 inc VAT with 10 year warranty. I think it’s a good idea to replace now, just want to sense check the quote. Any opinions?

Just done exactly the same for my mum. The old boiler was on its last legs and was not far off being unsafe. It was not economical to repair. The new boiler went in and gas consumption has dropped noticeably, maybe 20%. A good thing given where gas prices are going. Go for it, just make sure you fit the filter they recommend.

The gas boiler in Mum’s flat is about 20 years old (Worcester). She has a maintenance contract with a local firm who are very good. Their top level support will not be available moving forward due to age and parts availability. We asked about replacement and they’ve quoted for a Worcester Greenstar 4000 30kW combi boiler. Fully installed with clean and flush of the system etc is £3,183 inc VAT with 10 year warranty. I think it’s a good idea to replace now, just want to sense check the quote. Any opinions?

I'd say that was a good price however I'd personally go for an 8000 Life combi which is WB's top of the range boilers and probably only about £200 more than the 4000 to buy, also I'm sure WB are having trouble sourcing fans for their 4000 boilers or maybe it's the 2000 but I'd give them a call and ask.

I think that the 4000 boilers can't have an external condensate waste if that's a consideration.

I'd say that was a good price however I'd personally go for an 8000 Life combi which is WB's top of the range boilers and probably only about £200 more than the 4000 to buy, also I'm sure WB are having trouble sourcing fans for their 4000 boilers or maybe it's the 2000 but I'd give them a call and ask.

I think that the 4000 boilers can't have an external condensate waste if that's a consideration.

Interesting, thanks. They’ve included an upgrade of the external condensate pipe (40mm) in the installation.

Interesting, thanks. They’ve included an upgrade of the external condensate pipe (40mm) in the installation.

Might be the 2000 range re external condensate and component shortages but give Worchester Bosch a call they’re brilliant on the phone.

0330 123 3366

Fantastic, thank you. I agree that it’s worth fitting the best boiler for the job, will ask them to quote. It’s quite a tight spot so there could be a size issue.

Think the boilers are the same size.

Just checked, aye a wee bit of a difference.

Height
724mm
Boiler Width
400mm
Boiler Depth
310mm

Boiler Height
780mm
Boiler Width
440mm
Boiler Depth
365mm

good price i think . had 3 new boilers in past year and thats a reasonable price . [ all equivalent vaillant ]

Fair price, I paid just under £3k for similar 2 years ago. 30kW seems a lot for a flat, is it a big place? If more than one bathroom it goes up, obviously, modern showers can be hungry beasts.

Shows how prices have changed. It cost us over £4k for a new Worcester Bosch boiler over a decade ago.

Fair price, I paid just under £3k for similar 2 years ago. 30kW seems a lot for a flat, is it a big place? If more than one bathroom it goes up, obviously, modern showers can be hungry beasts.

The 30 KW output refers to the hot water output so that output will deliver around 12 litres of hot water at a 35 degree rise in temperature the heating output can be range rated down to whatever the heating load is think that particular boiler can go down to 6 KW heating output.

With Vokera boilers you adjust the fan speed can’t remember how the 8000 life is range rated think it’s fan speed on that boiler too but both are adjusted on the boiler control panel however those settings are password protected.

Most combi boilers these days have pretty low heating outputs relative to the hot water output all Worchester Bosch Combi’s regardless of hot water output eg 42 KW had a maximum heating output of 30 KW except for the 27 KW Combis think nowadays they’re even lower at around 25 KW heating output.

4000 Life
Boiler CH Output (Kw)
Max DHW Output (Kw)

8000 Life
Boiler CH Output (Kw)
Max DHW Output (Kw)

VOKERA UNICA MAX 35C is similar in outputs to the 35 KW 8000 Life

https://installers.vokeraaffinity.co.uk/utility/InformationSheet.ashx?code=20188336

Shows how prices have changed. It cost us over £4k for a new Worcester Bosch boiler over a decade ago.

Worcester Bosch boilers are still relatively expensive relative to most other boiler manufacturers boilers Brian I was paying about £1200 for a 37 CDI back in 2008/9.

Thanks twotone, that makes sense. I had an interesting couple of meetings with the engineer at a recent factory, someone who should have known better put a proposal in for 20-odd pressure washer points and when we started the calculations the water and power requirements were astronomical. Of course the hero of the hour, having refused all assistance and assured us that it was all under control, had done none of this. We had to carry out a full rethink, during which any input from our hero was significantly absent. 30,000 litres of hot water takes some heating and storage, and the effluent plant wouldn't have handled it either. Sadly I had to move to another site before we could come up with a proposal, it would have been something to behold.

2 bed 2 bath, circa 1100 sq ft. Re did the kitchen and bathrooms pre covid (thankfully). Should be set for a good while with a new boiler installed.

Thanks twotone, that makes sense. I had an interesting couple of meetings with the engineer at a recent factory, someone who should have known better put a proposal in for 20-odd pressure washer points and when we started the calculations the water and power requirements were astronomical. Of course the hero of the hour, having refused all assistance and assured us that it was all under control, had done none of this. We had to carry out a full rethink, during which any input from our hero was significantly absent. 30,000 litres of hot water takes some heating and storage, and the effluent plant wouldn't have handled it either. Sadly I had to move to another site before we could come up with a proposal, it would have been something to behold.

An ACV Tank system would have been one solution. They use these in high demand situations like hotels:

https://www.acv.com/gb/about

An ACV Tank system would have been one solution. They use these in high demand situations like hotels:

https://www.acv.com/gb/about
Yes, that's the sort of thing that we put in food factories. You can imagine that 30,000 L of water needs a tank just over 3m x 3m x 3m internal, are a frame to hold it together, insulation. Then 4k J per degree C times delta T, divide by the time available for heating and get kW, look in horror at that number, then turn it into BTU, work out that the current boiler needs all day to heat it and it's already at 60% capacity, so a new boiler at so many hundred thousand, it's a very interesting if scarily expensive exercise.

Worcester Bosch boilers are still relatively expensive relative to most other boiler manufacturers boilers Brian I was paying about £1200 for a 37 CDI back in 2008/9.
Interesting. We took the middle of 3 quotes which was from British Gas. They did a real hash of it, coming back multiple times, moved it twice and destroyed a board once. A bloke from Worcester Bosch came for a look and was appalled. 2 years on we were still having issues with it and in the last decade it's suffered a few breakdowns. It's probably a decent boiler but they knacked it on initial install. I will probably have to change it soon so following this thread with interest.

advertisement

Back