advertisement

LP12 makes front cover of Stereophile

Tony L

Administrator
A cover pic and subjective review by Herb Reichert of the full ‘Klimax’ (whoever thinks of these names at Linn please stop) spec LP12 in the June 22 issue of Stereophile. A really nice proper fluted wood plinth too, not sure of the finish, but it certainly looks great (seems lighter than afro or walnut).

Herb certainly seems to like it and I was pleased to see him refer to Fremer’s usual stuff as “1000lbs oligarch tables”, nit that this Linn is in any way a budget offering. Pictured on the cover with a what looks like a UK 1st press of Blue Nile’s ‘A Walk Across The Rooftops’, and that much I do have. I’m sure the review will be online at some point, I’m still a paper subscriber so the hard copy hit the doormat earlier.

A cover pic and subjective review by Herb Reichert of the full ‘Klimax’ (whoever thinks of these names at Linn please stop) spec LP12 in the June 22 issue of Stereophile. A really nice proper fluted wood plinth too, not sure of the finish, but it certainly looks great (seems lighter than afro or walnut).

Herb certainly seems to like it and I was pleased to see him refer to Fremer’s usual stuff as “1000lbs oligarch tables”, nit that this Linn is in any way a budget offering. Pictured on the cover with a what looks like a UK 1st press of Blue Nile’s ‘A Walk Across The Rooftops’, and that much I do have. I’m sure the review will be online at some point, I’m still a paper subscriber so the hard copy hit the doormat earlier.
Good spot on the LP :)

I have an online sub, works well on the iPad, think I paid $15 under £13 for 24 issues, link to pricing:
https://stereophile.secure.darwin.cx/I**A02S

I hardly ever buy mag these days, they are a waste of time, but I must admit that I'm far more likely to buy one if it has a turntable on the cover. They are still the most interesting Hi-Fi components.

I won't be buying that one though. Linn's pricing is ridiculous these days and there is nothing about that turntable that interests me. While I'm sure it will sound very nice, I find it hard to believe that it can't be equaled for far less money, either using aftermarket LP12 parts or a different deck altogether. I guess if you don't need to ask the price but I couldn't bring myself to buy it even if I could. I'd feel like too much of a mug.

They are both handsome in their own ways but I think the Oracle Delphi is a tad prettier and I have several of both with intentions of same arm on each.

Yep, and it was the first susser I came across back in the day (a mk2) that didn’t bounce all over the place.

My bias - BUT I think my Stack Audio Soprano / SUPAtrac LP12 is quietly stunning in a stealth sort of way.

Owned both at the same time no one ever remarked on the LP12, Oracle thats lovely " what is it "
Shame to say I was sheep back then, only wanted a Linn,
but I do like the proportions of the whole package and I only like the fluted plinth,
the Delphi really came of age from MK IV onwards, beautiful.

Shame to say I was sheep back then, only wanted a Linn, but I do like the proportions of the whole package and I only like the fluted plinth.

I wanted Linn and Naim before I'd heard any of it. Thankfully, I do actually like the noise the LP12 makes and I do like the looks. It's not flashy, unless you know what it is it doesn't draw any attention to itself, and feels solid and tactile in use. I prefer un-fluted which is ironic considering my last two decks have been fluted.

I've a mid 80's fluted afro with lovely figured diagonal grain and a mid 80's un-fluted rosewood, also with lovely grain. Both are by Greaves and both have the black painted lower plinth relief.
I'd be hard pressed to choose between them aesthetically. Sound wise at the moment it's the afro LP12 with Rega arm that wins on sonics.

I've a mid 80's fluted afro with lovely figured diagonal grain and a mid 80's un-fluted rosewood, also with lovely grain. Both are by Greaves and both have the black painted lower plinth relief.
I'd be hard pressed to choose between them aesthetically. Sound wise at the moment it's the afro LP12 with Rega arm that wins on sonics.

I agree, for me it was the rare, then discontinued "Rosewood" plinth, not to be confused with the Rosenut, that I personally gravitated to sound wise. And I have to agree with most here, the LP12 was, and still is a fine looking deck.

Ah we’ve been groomed to like the looks of the LP12. Fluted for me too, but I’m getting used to the looks of an intruder in da house.

advertisement

Back