advertisement

For lovers of exotic cables...

Lots of talk about air dielectric.

And then a little bit of talk about the wires being litz/ lacquered. So not an air dielectric, but a lacquer one...

Doh.

I often wonder who buys these things and then again why, what thought process goes on before the customer says to himself ~~~ yep, there the ones for me, I am happy to pay whatever they are asking. Please note I am not saying the purchasers are wrong or right, its their money and they are free to spend any which way they want to.

I often wonder who buys these things and then again why, what thought process goes on before the customer says to himself ~~~ yep, there the ones for me, I am happy to pay whatever they are asking. Please note I am not saying the purchasers are wrong or right, its their money and they are free to spend any which way they want to.
Long ago, I queried John Borwick, then the audio editor of Gramophone, on exotic cables. He commented that he thought that a decent wire sounded just like any other decent wire, but, and this is the bit I remember best, "I wouldn't dissuade an enthusiast from giving his super-system a birthday present, if paying over the odds makes him feel better." Agreed; if you like it and can afford it, go for it.

I don’t use expensive cables.
I don’t use cheap cables.
I don’t use cheap copies of expensive cables.

I stick to a sensible budget of my own making. and good quality cables.

for me, once you get over the £100 per meter, for either interconnect or speaker cable, I wonder just how much better a cable can be?

for me, once you get over the £100 per meter, for either interconnect or speaker cable, I wonder just how much better a cable can be?

I have gone the same way, I will continue to experiment (muck about) with various combination however I have definitely slowed down because even doing it yourself soon adds up to several hundreds of pounds. My starting point is always telluirum copper connectors, after that, well is up for grabs. Can I hear the difference, yes 100% I can although its now becoming more subtle as I suspect I have entered the realms of diminishing returns.

My speaker cables are a close copy of the Iconoclast https://www.iconoclastcable.com/speaker/index.htm.

I was drawn to their design after a lot of research in part because of their pedigree and in part because they are happy to share their design philosophy unlike many and in particular Telluirum Q who appear to me to prosper by smoke & mirrors. The raw materials were a fraction over £200 and it took me many man hours to figure out how to weave them together and then actually weave over 200m of thin wire. The result is very good but I wouldn't go to this much effort again, its ok for them, they have all the tooling and I imagine its takes them minutes and not days to make a decent length.

You could offer the first three lines to Cliff Richard.

Exactly the same for interconects, speaker and power cables, the cheap there is for Internet and power line between power strip and house main power box.

Heard these, specifically a set of silver XLR interconnects and speaker cables at the Audiobarn along with the copper version. The silver were a big step up.

how they compare against other cables i couldn’t say as only compared the silver against copper versions.

no mot in the market, just happened to be there.

I struggle to see the performance advantage of using a very conductive material (tellurium copper) coated in a relatively far less conductive material (rhodium). Then again, I'm so far outside the target demographic for this product I don't even show up on their market research reports.

I struggle to see the performance advantage of using a very conductive material (tellurium copper) coated in a relatively far less conductive material (rhodium). Then again, I'm so far outside the target demographic for this product I don't even show up on their market research reports.

I have never said I used Rhodium coated anything, for the record I totally agree with you. The whole Rhodium thing baffles me and if I am missing something then I am happy to be educated. All my connections are either copper or silver plated copper

Heard these, specifically a set of silver XLR interconnects and speaker cables at the Audiobarn along with the copper version. The silver were a big step up.

how they compare against other cables i couldn’t say as only compared the silver against copper versions.

no mot in the market, just happened to be there.
What did you think when you heard a system using them ?

I have gone the same way, I will continue to experiment (muck about) with various combination however I have definitely slowed down because even doing it yourself soon adds up to several hundreds of pounds. My starting point is always telluirum copper connectors, after that, well is up for grabs. Can I hear the difference, yes 100% I can although its now becoming more subtle as I suspect I have entered the realms of diminishing returns.

My speaker cables are a close copy of the Iconoclast https://www.iconoclastcable.com/speaker/index.htm.

I was drawn to their design after a lot of research in part because of their pedigree and in part because they are happy to share their design philosophy unlike many and in particular Telluirum Q who appear to me to prosper by smoke & mirrors. The raw materials were a fraction over £200 and it took me many man hours to figure out how to weave them together and then actually weave over 200m of thin wire. The result is very good but I wouldn't go to this much effort again, its ok for them, they have all the tooling and I imagine its takes them minutes and not days to make a decent length.
I use LFD cabling mostly..some Audioquest stuff too...better cabling makes for better sound!

advertisement

Back