advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Curious to know if anyone has knowledge or experience of RSC Pilot Watches; https://rscwatches.com/

I am considering the purchase of a limited edition chronograph, "designed by Ronald Steffen", in support of an aircraft restoration group, and would be interested to know if anyone might have any insight into quality, reliability, and so on. Many thanks.

Cheers
If you like the look, and the ones on the website are big chunky things at 47mm, go for it. They seem to be reduced to about £150, I imagine that the link with the aircraft resto group will add a bit but it's still affordable. The mechanical parts will be a generic bought in item so robust enough and serviceable when the time comes, the rest is just packaging.

Spent a few bob sprucing up my old SKX009.
New sapphire ar d/domed crystal/lumed sapphire bezel insert/new bezel and a watchmaker installed a new NH36 movement and crown..finished off with a new s/steel strap from Strapcode.
Very happy with the result!

Spent a few bob sprucing up my old SKX009.
New sapphire ar d/domed crystal/lumed sapphire bezel insert/new bezel and a watchmaker installed a new NH36 movement and crown..finished off with a new s/steel strap from Strapcode.
Very happy with the result!
Nice work! Why the complete new movement? I thought this range were very durable. Did it leak?

If you like the look, and the ones on the website are big chunky things at 47mm, go for it. They seem to be reduced to about £150, I imagine that the link with the aircraft resto group will add a bit but it's still affordable. The mechanical parts will be a generic bought in item so robust enough and serviceable when the time comes, the rest is just packaging.

Thanks Steve, this is reassuring. It would be a heart v head purchase, partly to support the group and partly given a family connection with the aircraft type. I don't need another watch, so it would be for posterity as it were. The group are restoring a WW2 Hawker Typhoon Mk1b to flying condition. My late uncle was CO of 182 Sqn flying Typhoons and was KIA in 1943.

The group are selling only 396 individually numbered Typhoon watches to correlate with the aircraft number RB396, with proceeds going to the restoration. No doubt a modest premium to pay, but it will be "unique" and associated with my family history.

Thanks again.

Gone for this today
I offered mine to my favourite dealer at the weekend. He groaned and said ‘I’ve got two of those in stock as it is’. Of all the Subs I have, that’s the one I don’t really bond with. Something to do with the top hat.

I offered mine to my favourite dealer at the weekend. He groaned and said ‘I’ve got two of those in stock as it is’. Of all the Subs I have, that’s the one I don’t really bond with. Something to do with the top hat.
He wouldn't remain my favourite dealer for long with remarks like that. A massively sought after model, and a grail for a great many people prepared to hand over a very hefty sum of money. My heart bleeds.

He’s got a red Daytona he won’t sell too. Where do you go to sell watches? Bricks and mortar for me only.

I offered mine to my favourite dealer at the weekend. He groaned and said ‘I’ve got two of those in stock as it is’.

I thought these things were guaranteed bankers that can only appreciate? Why's he moaning about having them in stock? Surely that's sort of his job as a watch dealer.

I thought these things were guaranteed bankers that can only appreciate? Why's he moaning about having them in stock? Surely that's sort of his job as a watch dealer.
You would have thought so. I can’t second guess the watch dealing business, it’s all greek to me with their margins, but I guess they don’t fly out the door at retail prices of £40k or more

Setting expectations - "yeah mate, these used to be very sought after, but the market's changed/got a couple in stock I can't shift-only took them in to help a mate out / could take it off your hands if you really want but../ price ? ...lucky if I could get 500 quid retail these days , and I've gotta make a few bob on it myself etc etc"

You know the form :)

A Rolex Sub mariner has allways been on my want list , But sadly ( for me ) Life / work / mortgage / divorce / has allways put an end to that , Maybe a bit late in life now :(

A Rolex Sub mariner has allways been on my want list , But sadly ( for me ) Life / work / mortgage / divorce / has allways put an end to that , Maybe a bit late in life now :(
Never too late if you can afford it. Buy wisely and you'll have something that isn't depreciating and can be sold at minimal or modest loss (if the tales are to be believed) when you shuffle off or need the cash. Nice and easy to pass on to your heirs too, should a rapacious nursing home be eyeing your few possessions. "Oh, this old watch? Yes, well it DID used to be Dad's but he gave me it a while ago. Yes, couple of years before he came in here, you graverobbing bastard. So it's mine now. Worth a few quid you say? Well well, is it now?"

Reactions: JTC
I've been culling one or two of my pricier pieces, simply because I think it's starting to get risky simply to wear them, which is, after all, the point. They've been good investments, and I have no particular future expenditure in mind, but the house insurance is starting to take notice, especially as I can't get a local safety deposit box any more.

I've been culling one or two of my pricier pieces, simply because I think it's starting to get risky simply to wear them, which is, after all, the point. They've been good investments, and I have no particular future expenditure in mind, but the house insurance is starting to take notice, especially as I can't get a local safety deposit box any more.
My Pal's insurance is OK if the watch is in a safe to BS whatever that is screwed to a solid wall in the house if it's not on his wife's wrist. Some sort of bimetal gold Rolex fwiw. I helped him install said safe, it wasn't expensive.

Yes, it's only recently they've been stipulating a safe, but to be honest, I'd much rather have a watch on my wrist. Like others have said, it's jewellery, but there comes a point that the risk (notwithstanding the poseur value) is not worth taking. I suppose that's the attraction of JLC or Patek - they're not Rolexes, and are therefore less interesting to your average crim.

I fancied one of those X Swatch/fake Speedmasters as a knockabout sort of daily ish watch, but word on the street seems to be hinting at them now not being released as a mass retail item as was promised. They were supposed to be available online at RRP a week or so after the frenzied release but no news as yet other than still no stock available in the bricks and mortar Swatch shops.

Since then I've been eyeing up vintage Seamaster 600s, someone slap me around the face and talk me out of it.

You would have thought so. I can’t second guess the watch dealing business, it’s all greek to me with their margins, but I guess they don’t fly out the door at retail prices of £40k or more

There not that much I'd say around 20k+ I was lucky and picked it up around 7 years ago when they were cheaper than the RRP non date Sub

You said “Bond” ;)

advertisement

Back