advertisement

Thatcher Statue

I'm cheered to read of the erection new statue of Margaret Thatcher in Grantham. Without this reminder of the history of our island I have no doubt her name would have soon faded from memory. And what a tragedy that would be.

It also seems to have provided a welcome boost in sales for local egg retailers. So win/win in my book.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tham-egged-within-hours-of-it-being-installed

£300,000 for a statue of the most hated PM in modern history, what a waste of money. Be more than an egg I'd be throwing at it along with many thousands of others who suffered under that bitch.
Oh come come, recently become the second most hated, shirley?

Under a Conservative govt, people will shortly be unable to afford to throw eggs. She was undoubtedly the most despised politician in Scotland my lifetime but Johnson has trumped her. Maybe someone will start an online appeal for egg money?

"It has been a rocky road. There was horror when it was revealed that a £100,000 unveiling ceremony was being planned. A Facebook group proposed an “egg-throwing contest” which attracted 13,000 expressions of interest." :)
Here’s a better monument and the artist was donating it to the Council.

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/n...statue-on-st-peters-hill-in-grantham-9157641/

9QKjzYk.jpg

Probably even more Tory now than when Thatcher was MP. 65% according to Wikipedia which also tells me the town is quite Labour but is heavily outvoted by the rural parts. Probably ought to have put the statue in a field somewhere.

Anyway leaving aside the hideousness of those depicted in statue form I'd like to draw attention to the innate hideousness of statues full stop.

Grim, goulish things mostly of improbably muscular chinless twats we've never heard of and don't want to hear about who lived when we all spoke Latin (apparently) . Ancient forgotten Rees Moggs made to look like seven foot Terminators. The whole lot of them ought long ago to have been reduced to hardcore or dumped in a national statue museum on the Isle of Man. Maybe replaced with some fun modern sculpture.

Anyway leaving aside the hideousness of those depicted in statue form I'd like to draw attention to the innate hideousness of statues full stop.

I don’t agree, there are some really good ones, e.g. I like the fairly recent one of Emmiline Pankhurst in Manchester (Wikipedia). The other one that comes to mind is the Fourth Plinth at Trafalgar Square (Wikipedia) which has hosted some wonderful stuff over the years e.g. Marc Quinn’s statue of Alison Lapper. Statues really don’t need to be vile old Tory slave traders or military butchers, they can be relevant, even fun.

advertisement

Back