advertisement

Three piece suit hire or buy Glasgow for Wedding

when we got married 17 years ago, it was jeans and t shirt. Walked down the aisle to "masked ball" from eyes wide shut. Firestarter whilst we signed the register.

Thinking about buying a suit from here below (thanks @dweezil ) two piece in sharkskin light grey wool it's coming in about £300 including delivery.

Thoughts guys?

• Jacket Style - Two Button
  • Lapels - Notch Lapel (3-3.2")
  • Buttons - Corozo Black (+£3)
  • Vents - Single Vent
  • Jacket Cuff Buttons - Three
  • Pocket Accent - Ticket Pocket (+£4)
  • Jacket Lining: - Light Gray Bemberg (+£25)
  • Jacket Lining Type: - Half Lining (+£16)
  • Elbow Patches - None
  • Waist Coat - No Waist Coat
  • Pants Lining - No Lining
  • Pocket Style - Seam
  • Pleats - Forward Single Pleat (+£4)
  • Back Pockets - 2 Welted Pockets
  • Belt Loops - Yes
  • Tailor Changes: - Yes - Change if required
  • Comments
  • Select Fabric: - Sharkskin Light Gray Wool (+£70)

https://www.studiosuits.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&missing=1

I've got a kilt job coming up in July; the things we do for our kids!

I'm almost the only English farmer here surrounded by Scots so might just have Union Flag underwear.

I'm of Scottish blood; so have our family tartan, Ancient Mackenzie :)

I don't do suits (well, suits don't do me); tall/wide/thick set... Not spending a fortune on a tailor when I can get a proper kilt made and its much more comfortable

Jacket Lining: - Light Gray Bemberg (+£25)

Grey as a lining? o_O

The lining of the jacket could be the highlight. Grey suit - either purple, mustard or green linings, anything but more grey.
The pockets could be lined with it as well.

Thinking about buying a suit from here below (thanks @dweezil ) two piece in sharkskin light grey wool it's coming in about £300 including delivery.

Thoughts guys?

• Jacket Style - Two Button
  • Lapels - Notch Lapel (3-3.2")
  • Buttons - Corozo Black (+£3)
  • Vents - Single Vent
  • Jacket Lining: - Light Gray Bemberg (+£25)
  • Jacket Lining Type: - Half Lining (+£16)
  • Elbow Patches - None
  • Waist Coat - No Waist Coat
  • Pants Lining - No Lining
  • Pocket Style - Seam
  • Pleats - Forward Single Pleat (+£4)
  • Back Pockets - 2 Welted Pockets
  • Belt Loops - Yes
  • Tailor Changes: - Yes - Change if required
  • Comments
  • Select Fabric: - Sharkskin Light Gray Wool (+£70)

Go for double vents.

I'm thinking buying Glasgow for a wedding might be out of reach unless you have extensive financial resources...so in your place, I'd probably just go with the suit hire.

I’ve been looking at this thread for two days, thinking should I.
You just did. :D

Congratulations to you and your family Tony, may the bride-to-be truly have the best day of her life!

I was gonna suggest Moss Bros as my mate hired suits from there for a few of us when he got married about 14 years ago, but it looks like they're gone, I didn't know until I saw your post. It looks like you've got a plan now so fingers crossed you find something that suits you to a tee. Here's to the happy couple, cheers :)

• Vents - Single Vent
That's like giving an addict a website where they can order crack cocaine.

It looks OK, particularly if it's been recommended by someone.

It's all personal preference, but I would go 4 cuff buttons, no real reason, and likewise double vent. I'm not sure what the difference is- maybe a single vent is meant to hang straighter when you have you arms up when waltzing. All but one of my suits are double vent.

Ticket pocket is personal choice, lining is when you go mad.

I must admit, the idea of having it made for you is quite seductive. Post up a photo when you get it.

That's like giving an addict a website where they can order crack cocaine.

It looks OK, particularly if it's been recommended by someone.

It's all personal preference, but I would go 4 cuff buttons, no real reason, and likewise double vent. I'm not sure what the difference is- maybe a single vent is meant to hang straighter when you have you arms up when waltzing. All but one of my suits are double vent.

Ticket pocket is personal choice, lining is when you go mad.

I must admit, the idea of having it made for you is quite seductive. Post up a photo when you get it.

Thank, this thread has been brilliant for ideas, as I said in the OP I’ve not bought a made to measure suit since 2009 (daughter’s graduation) and that was really easy but doing it yourself and buying online isn’t, when you go to a tailor, apart from him taking the measurements, the advice regarding the suit itself is invaluable ie trouser width, jacket buttons,vent and so on.

I might actually go back to Slaters and buy a made to measure suit from them as I looked at the one star trust pilot reviews for the suit shop in Mumbai and frankly they’re terrible so I not taking a chance ordering from them however I did like the site Paul linked to in his selfie post with his beautiful partner so I might have another look at that or even go down to London for a weekend with my wife and kill two birds :D

I'm thinking about buying this suit below guys, I'm going to call SC tomorrow and see if they can get one in my size otherwise I'm going to go to Slater's in Glasgow and have a suit made up or maybe buy one off the peg and altered, they also do Magee suits too but I don't think they have tweed ones in stock and they don't buy them one in for you they just sell what they have in, I asked the Edinburgh branch if they could source the tweed one and that was the reply.

https://www.stewartchristie.com/store/Magee-Nice-3P-Tweed-Suit-p121060189

https://www.slaters.co.uk/made-to-order

That SC suit is very elegant! If it falls through you could have a look at what these guys have to offer: https://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/clothing/suits/

if you’re going three-piece, and have a plainish lining for the suit, maybe consider a tartan waistcoat? Also, if you’re dancing, consider side tabs and buttons for braces instead of a belt - less hitching up of trousers that way. If you’re using a waistcoat, it can cover the braces if you’re not inclined to show them off.

I always prefer to go to these events as myself. So I suggest you buy whatever clothes you like and treat yourself to something you like and will wear for years. I’ve got several suits, probably two years since I wore one and then it was probably a meeting with some absurd banking client. I think of them as rather silly.

Thanks guys, I've kind of narrowed it down now, I'm either going to go to SC in Edinburgh and buy a tweed suit from them but they're not open on a Monday so I'll call them tomorrow and possibly make an appointment.

Then there's the Edinburgh Tailoring company who have really good reviews and who have a place in Bath street, Glasgow.

Finally there's Suit Supply in London re @Paul L on the first page.

I really like their suits but it means traveling to London to have measurements done or alternatively I can buy a couple of their ready made suits and send both back free of charge I or keep one if the fit is good or use the suits to obtain my measurements then order a custom made suit online.

I had a word with their customer service department this morning and the young woman I talked to was really helpful, it was she who suggested the above but she did say I would definitely be better making an appointment and going to one of the London stores to get measured and order a custom suit or even buy ready made in store.

Thanks

Tony

advertisement

Back