advertisement

Three piece suit hire or buy Glasgow for Wedding

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, my daughter’s getting married in August and I need to organise a suitable suit Im not keen on slaters but have seen a nice three piece on Moss Bros hire however they have no hire branches in Scotland and I’ve not been measured for a suit for about 15 years so I’m at a bit of a loss about ordering on line would much prefer to go somewhere and get measured properly or am I just being old fashioned.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tony

Whatever you end up doing, do not buy online. It's your daughter's wedding, and you have to look at your smartest. Buy it now so you have time for any alterations.

Hi guys, my daughter’s getting married in August and I need to organise a suitable suit Im not keen on slaters but have seen a nice three piece on Moss Bros hire however they have no hire branches in Scotland and I’ve not been measured for a suit for about 15 years so I’m at a bit of a loss about ordering on line would much prefer to go somewhere and get measured properly or am I just being old fashioned.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tony
Tony, first congratulations on your daughter’s forthcoming marriage- you must be very proud of her! The whole clothing retail sector has changed so much in the past few years. I got my last three suits a few years ago out of Fraser’s in Buchanan St- at their summer sale. They’ve got a big stock and their staff are down to earth and helpful. You could nip in one day for a reccie and ask when their sale starts.

Two piece will do, Also, avoid the penguin look.
Two piece with tartan cummerbund. My friend wore that for his daughter’s wedding recently - he looked great!

Personally I buy online and get a local seamstress to tweak things a little if necessary.

Buy it online.

Most websites will have size guides. Filter by percentage price reduction, your size/your preferred fit( slim, modern, normal etc), colour if you have an idea what you want.

Brands are less relevant but Boss, Zegna, Strellson, etc will be great. Ignore anyone telling you to spend hundreds on made-to-measure.

This should net you a higher end suit at a better price.

Order it now, to give you time to send it back if you get the sizing wrong. Eventually you will land on a brand/size/fit that works for you.

Go into Next.
Even if they haven't the right size in stock of your preferred cloth, you can get a fit from other items of the same style and delivery is free and quick, or you can nip back to collect.
My better half is picky over clothes and that is what she (we) did for her son's wedding, 6 weeks ago - she was more than happy. It was also cheap.
Only one thing to bear in mind - cheap suits have mostly fake pockets (I was told that the proper word is faux), for appearance combined with cheap prices.

buy online.

Few years ago about 3 days before Xmas day I had an urgent need for a dinner suit for new yeads eve. Found an online tailor who had YouTube video guides to measuring yourself. Took measurements, chose a cheap fabric, and sent off my measurements and lo and behold my suit arrived on 29th Dec, fitted perfectly was comfortable all for £99.

Only one thing to bear in mind - cheap suits have mostly fake pockets (I was told that the proper word is faux), for appearance combined with cheap prices.

It doesn't matter if the pockets are fake or real. Real pockets will be delivered with a couple of stitches sewing them closed.

DO NOT UNPICK THE STITCHING !

The pockets are not meant to be used and will just make the suit look baggy and lose it's shape

I got measured by Moss Bros for my wedding. When I got the suit the day before the wedding ( I was living away from my wife’s parish) it was about 5 sizes too big and I looked like Coco the Clown in it. Had to make a mad dash from deep in the Cynon Valley to Cardiff to sort it out, got there with literally minutes to spare before closing time!

I am assuming there is suit colour scheme

Green, I think, but I was just going to go with a navy blue three piece or black I'm obviously giving the bride away after that I'll be taking a back seat except for the meal with a short speech of mainly thanking people.

Studio Suits in Mumbai are good, wide range of fabrics and mine was a great fit.

Allow plenty of time to measure up, the instructions are on the site for each measurement.

Unfortunately i've lost a few kilos since.

Charity shops can have some amazing stuff; you're bound to no someone who can alter if required.

Tony, first congratulations on your daughter’s forthcoming marriage- you must be very proud of her! The whole clothing retail sector has changed so much in the past few years. I got my last three suits a few years ago out of Fraser’s in Buchanan St- at their summer sale. They’ve got a big stock and their staff are down to earth and helpful. You could nip in one day for a reccie and ask when their sale starts.

Thanks Hugh, yes we are very proud of both our kids.

Congratulations to you all Tony from me also. It was quite a shock needing a suit after many years last Autumn and just how decimated all the stores that used to be reliable are now, except for upmarket bespoke of course. Alas this probably doesn’t help as I’m near London and this was convenient enough for me but these people were good https://suitsupply.com/en-gb/ and I paid under £500 choosing something I can wear again.

I had to get this right as it was for my own wedding!

I guess I’ve finally put a selfie on PFM!

advertisement

Back