advertisement

The 'Wagatha Christie' affair is far from over ...

It isn’t him risking bankruptcy.
He has nothing to with it.
It’s a row between Mrs Rooney and Mrs Vardy.
It’s his vacuous wife in court being sued.

It’s his money that’s funding the case surely?
No, it be legal expense funders. When I were but a lad champerty and maintenance weren't allowed, and were both crimes and torts. Now they're a potential source of profit for venture capitalists.

No, it be legal expense funders. When I were but a lad champerty and maintenance weren't allowed, and were both crimes and torts. Now they're a potential source of profit for venture capitalists.
Do you know this for a fact? Seems a very poor bet.

Mrs Vardy is not coming out of this well

Nope. So much for restoring her damaged reputation. The Guardian last week seemed to think she’ll win the case though, as there won’t be any hard evidence to support Mrs Rooney’s claims.

From today...

Sherborne said he wished to search the WhatsApp messages held on Watt’s phone but it had been dropped over the side of a boat and was now “lying at the bottom of the sea in Davy Jones’ locker”.

Vardy asked the court: “Who is Davy Jones?”

Nope. So much for restoring her damaged reputation. The Guardian last week seemed to think she’ll win the case though, as there won’t be any hard evidence to support Mrs Rooney’s claims.

From today...

Sherborne said he wished to search the WhatsApp messages held on Watt’s phone but it had been dropped over the side of a boat and was now “lying at the bottom of the sea in Davy Jones’ locker”.

The scenes of her walking in like some Mafia Don. The Rooney party seemed a lot more low key.

The ‘it was a joke’ defence does appear rather lame.

From today...

But surely these Phones (presumably iPhones) have iCloud (or such) backups. I would have expected an independent IT expert charged with obtaining evidence to investigate whether the phones were backed up to the cloud before they were "lost" in Davy Jones Locker and such. It should also be apparent if any backups were deleted on purpose.

Last edited:
Cases like this give all the clever sensible people like us a chance to sneer at the dimmer members of the lower classes with too much money, engage in a bit of in intellectual snobbery, schadenfreude and, I dare say, the occasional touch of misogyny, all at the same time and in an apparently guilt free way. I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Cases like this give all the clever sensible people like us a chance to sneer at the dimmer members of the lower classes with too much money, engage in a bit of in intellectual snobbery, schadenfreude and, I dare say, the occasional touch of misogyny, all at the same time and in an apparently guilt free way. I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Misogyny aside, yes of course. Guilty as charged. I thought much the same when reading about this again earlier.

In mitigation, everything about this libel action is patently absurd and funny af!

Who on earth put Beks up to this? Calling a libel trial when the whole world knows it was you wot dun it. Maybe her agent told her it was another kerchinnng opportunity ( but the agent’s signed off sick and can’t attend).

As one journalist put it, “Rebekkaah Vardy spent millions for a 75 page evisceration of her character”. One brief commented that he was certain her QC would have sat her down, looked her in the eye and said “there’s a reasonable chance you could lose, are you sure you want to go through with this?”

advertisement

Back