advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Interspace tonearm data?

krenzler

pfm Member
A friend of mine is looking at a new cartridge for his NA Horizon with Interspace tonearm. Currently running a Grado Gold1 but he wants to try something else (with more openess up top). He's considering a DL-103R (phono stage is Trichord Dino).

Problem is it's nearly impossible to find any data on the Interspace arm. All I get from the current NA website and also looking at Vinyl Engine tonearm database is a mounting distance of 222mm (they call it a 10" arm) and eff. mass of 11,25 - both the same as Rega arms which I know also came with the entry level NA decks.

https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm...ohlo=&ohhi=&search=search&amlo=&amhi=&cw=&mp=

Anyone here have experience with the Interspace arm? Will it play nice with the DL-103 or would extra mass placed at the headshell be better? How much weight can the arm balance out? Is offset and overhang same as Rega also? I can see that VTA adjustment is not an option on this arm (again like Rega).

Any info on Interspace or other NA arms would be much appreciated.

OK, thanks that's good to know. Haven't had a look at it myself and my friend is not experienced when it comes to turntable/tone arm set-up.

And yes just now looking at pictures of the Horizon via Google I can see the collet.

I'm also interested in suggestions of carts that work well with the unipiviot space arms.

(My space arm has a DL110 currently)

I'm also interested in suggestions of carts that work well with the unipiviot space arms.

(My space arm has a DL110 currently)

I used a 103, a 103r, an AT33PTG and a DVXXII in a Spacearm and they all worked well.

Over the decades, I have used numerous different cartridges with Nottingham Analogue arms - Decca, Koetsu, Lyra, Rega, Ortofon MM and MC, Shure, Dynavector, Denon etc, etc, etc. Never had any problems.

That's encouraging. So the NA arms are unipivot with added stability?

Anyone know if the counterweight is heavy enough to balance out something like 18g (DL-103 + mounting hardware + extra mass brass spacer)?

I am reviving this thread because I have just bought a 10" Interspace tonearm.
Does anyone know how this lower-end tonearm compares to a Roksan Nima, for example?

NAS 10 inch tonearms are really 9 inch - they are 10 because of the strange way NAS define the OAL.
I have used both NAS tonearms and the Nima, but not the Interspace, and not at the same time, or on the same deck, but have comapred them each to other tonearms.
So, educated guess - they will sound different, but probably neither abviously "better" than the other.
I have used Space and Anna arms on a Hyperspace and found them both very pedestrian. Based on that, I strongly suspect that I'd prefer the Nima.
Beware, as I said - educated guesswork.

NAS 10 inch tonearms are really 9 inch - they are 10 because of the strange way NAS define the OAL.
I have used both NAS tonearms and the Nima, but not the Interspace, and not at the same time, or on the same deck, but have comapred them each to other tonearms.
So, educated guess - they will sound different, but probably neither abviously "better" than the other.
I have used Space and Anna arms on a Hyperspace and found them both very pedestrian. Based on that, I strongly suspect that I'd prefer the Nima.
Beware, as I said - educated guesswork.

This has not been my experience. I had a NA Ace Spacedek with heavy kit platter with Anna tonearm and it gelled beautifully with an open and musical sound, with an early Lyra Delos. I then put an SME IV tonearm on it and I ruined the sound, more impressive hifi but I just didn’t enjoy it.

I have a Space Arm on my Empire together with a Benz Wood. It’s a really nice combination and I’ve never felt the need to change it. I can’t comment on the Nima arm as it wouldn’t be fair to try and pick it out of the one system I’ve heard it in. In comparison though the Space Arm is rock steady having a pair of stabiliser bars situated in the bearing housing below the pivot point.

The Interspace tonearm is now waiting for me at the post office. I will pick ot up tomorrow but won't be able to dem it until I have sorted out my room.

An awful lot of people find things great, or better than great, until they try something better.

I bought my current spec' hyperspace based on use with the Spacearm that came with it. To be honest, I couldn't really detect any significant difference when I bought the Anna, although I had only one arm pod at that time. I was encouraged to try another toenarm by somoene who had tried an SME on a Hypersapce and found that a retrograde step compared to the NAS arm.
I sold the Anna. Nothing "worng" with it, I just much preferred another tonearm.

The Hyperspace now has a Hadcock and a Shroeder DPM on, both with a Spirit cart'. I might prefer the Hadcock, but it is close - they are different.
I also much preferred the Hadcock to an ARO on an LP12. I found the ARO marginally "better" than the NIma, but not by a margin that was close to being reflected in their prices.

Very seldom do you come across anyone waxing lyrical about NAS tonearms, and even more rarely when mounted to anything but NAS decks.

Cart's have been DV20X2, Delos and Spirit.

Very seldom do you come across anyone waxing lyrical about NAS tonearms, and even more rarely when mounted to anything but NAS decks.

Vinny, I’m not waxing lyrical as you put it about my NAS tonearm but on my Empire/NAS combination my Benz sounds better than anything else I’ve had it on :)
Maybe they’re not so popular because they look a bit cottage industry?

Sorry Vinny, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. It wasn’t meant to be derogatory. There’s no doubting the quality of the work that goes into a NAS arm but they don’t have the same visual appeal that say an SME does.

Sorry Vinny, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. It wasn’t meant to be derogatory. There’s no doubting the quality of the work that goes into a NAS arm but they don’t have the same visual appeal that say an SME does.

LLOL - beauty will always be in the eye (and ear) of the beholder (listener), for sure. :)

advertisement

Back