advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice

20220507-195213.jpg

That looks interesting ,what is it?

Keepin it simple.

A Saar Riesling Kabinett bargain at the price.Delicious.
Ockfener Bockstein (…)
Just learned one way of saying hangover "avoir la gueule de bois"
Maybe more relevant this morning based on what you were drinking: “Katerfrühstück”.

Rummaging through an old filing cabinet for something (cufflinks, monocle, can opener - can’t remember which, it was nearly ten minutes ago) I found a Wine Soc 1995 Rhône EP flyer. Anyone care to guess what I paid for my Beaucastel?

No, thought not.

OA_vHjFPSpK1PFRCtRLFSA_pb_x600.png

Lama di Pietra from Puglia, this is a real bargain at about £10 a bottle, much better than any supermarket wine at that price that I've had. Day 1 it was really classy, refined wine, rather like an Italian version of Chocolate Block -- not a lot of character but very smooth and drinkable. Day two it had lost some of its refinedness, it had developed some more earthy tastes, still delicious.

To be honest I'd forgotten how cheap it was, I was pleased with it yesterday thinking I'd spent twice that amount. If someone gave it to me in one of my Italian favourites in London -- Fumo near the ENO for example -- for £15 a glass I'd wouldn't complain.

Back on this. It is an outstanding wine and if prices haven't changed too much, and amazing bargain.

Good God MB you paid £15.89. Your carefully cultivated image as the bargain hunter par excellence shattered in a day. I'm in shock.
Ha. Cultivated by whom? It wasn’t quite that much (a pedant writes) as duty and VAT weren’t as high back then. But £12.24 was an excellent price for the ’96s. I see the Wine Soc price for the 1997 was £73/6 IB (although I didn’t buy any) and by 1998 it had leapt to £100 (and they didn’t allocate any to me, bastards. I had to make do with just the Télégraphe at a mere £74 - and still one left!)

I also found a 1999 invoice from Ernest Burn, which gave me a real shock until I realised it was priced in Francs rather than Euros.

^ as you know I was a late developer so my earliest Beaucastel was the 2001. By pure luck that was a good year.
Opened a Leeuwin Art Shiraz. Didn't enjoy it quite as much as previous bottles: maybe needed more air or different food or ...

Last edited:

Vinatis delivers.
You might wonder about the single bottle,well it's a kinda homage to JC @Marchbanks for guiding us through these troubled waters, unfortunately he won't be drinking it.

Vinatis delivers.
You might wonder about the single bottle,well it's a kinda homage to JC @Marchbanks for guiding us through these troubled waters, unfortunately he won't be drinking it.

Be aware of their vigorous and frequent email promotions. Well done -- targeted at your previous purchases and always interesting offers. But frequent.

Be aware of their vigorous and frequent email promotions. Well done -- targeted at your previous purchases and always interesting offers. But frequent.
Vinatis France did 13% off a selection of wine for Friday 13th and free 24 hour delivery on a doz, including Le Versant and Brun Fleurie Grille Midi. We didn't get that over here. Bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back