advertisement

Rega Elys question

Lee T

pfm Member
Can i replace the stylus on my Elys 1 cartridge with an Elys 2.

Forgive my ignorance, it's been 30 years since i last played vinyl.

I picked up a Planar 3 , mid to late 90's model & it still has the original Elys 1 stylus in place. The sound is a little rolled off in the top end & soft & fuzzy through the mids so thought it could be time for a needle change.

Yes of course you can, dead easy with new VM95C or E range as threaded holes.
Both much cheaper than Elys.

Can i fit a Audio Technica AT 95E to this arm.
Before you consider changing the cartridge out, have you made sure that the tip is scrupulously clean?

Certainly, the old Elys may be well past it, however, it's worth making sure that the sound you are hearing isn't being adversely affected by built-up crud.

There are many threads on here covering cleaning techniques and gear. Best to brush up before attempting any work. (get it?)

Yes of course you can, dead easy with new VM95C or E range as threaded holes.
Both much cheaper than Elys.
Mine has nuts on top of the cartridge assembly whereas the AT seems to have an open screw thread.

Mine has nuts on top of the cartridge assembly whereas the AT seems to have an open screw thread.
Yes, the screws must point downward through the headshell slots with these VM95 models. Best to use the supplied washers between screw heads and headshell, IME.

The only tricky bit is getting the cartridge positioned fore/aft correctly, as well as square in line with the headshell. With your Elys this was more or less taken care of via the provision of the third mounting bolt.

Alignment tips to follow, as and when needed.

Can I replace the stylus on my Elys 1 cartridge with an Elys 2.

No, but contact Rega and ask about their exchange program. It is very generous and there is a good chance they'll trade your cart in against a new model. Not sure, but ask.

A lot of people get hooked up in this lack of replaceable stylus but the exchange scheme actually works out cheaper in most cases.

Also, consider upgrading to the Exact. I don't like the cheaper Rega MM carts but the Exact is brilliant. I would say it's my favorite cart under £600 and does things few at any price get right.

I also really like Audio Technica carts, they are great value and I like the sound. If you go that route I'd aim higher than the VM95e. Yeah, it's a great cartridge for the money but it's very different from the Rega and you might not like it.

No, but contact Rega and ask about their exchange program. It is very generous and there is a good chance they'll trade your cart in against a new model. Not sure, but ask.

A lot of people get hooked up in this lack of replaceable stylus but the exchange scheme actually works out cheaper in most cases.

Also, consider upgrading to the Exact. I don't like the cheaper Rega MM carts but the Exact is brilliant. I would say it's my favorite cart under £600 and does things few at any price get right.

I also really like Audio Technica carts, they are great value and I like the sound. If you go that route I'd aim higher than the VM95e. Yeah, it's a great cartridge for the money but it's very different from the Rega and you might not like it.
Different how?

Can i replace the stylus on my Elys 1 cartridge with an Elys 2.

Forgive my ignorance, it's been 30 years since i last played vinyl.

I picked up a Planar 3 , mid to late 90's model & it still has the original Elys 1 stylus in place. The sound is a little rolled off in the top end & soft & fuzzy through the mids so thought it could be time for a needle change.

Pop an Exact on it and be surprised. The AT VM95ML or SH is excellent too.

Before you consider changing the cartridge out, have you made sure that the tip is scrupulously clean?

Certainly, the old Elys may be well past it, however, it's worth making sure that the sound you are hearing isn't being adversely affected by built-up crud.

There are many threads on here covering cleaning techniques and gear. Best to brush up before attempting any work. (get it?)
I will be doing this first & have sent for this Audiophile Vinyl Record and LP Stylus Cleaner Kit (15ml) with Applicator Brush. Clean and protect your stylus. : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo If it does little improve things i can use it in the future.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

First off I'd have it serviced with new oil and belt first (easy d.i.y) and then check out the Elys which may be on it's way out. Seems that Rega aren't filling the Elys slot missing in the MM lineup offering only the budget Carbon (which may well get you away) or the pricier Exact (which I think would under perform in the OP's Planar3). The AT VM95E has good feedback and seems like a cost effective way forward.

Different how?

The Rega carts have a full, warm sound while the AT house sound is leaner but detailed and tight. The cheaper Rega carts sound 'blunt' and soft but the Exact is still full sounding but adds the detail the cheaper carts are missing.

If you find your vinyl a bit soft and warm sounding an AT might be perfect for you. If you like as it is, get an Exact. It's a fantastic cartridge.

I'd forget the Elys,
Its temporarily not available from Rega and probably outgoing.
Bet they are working on a new range of (OEM ?) cartridges to sit between Carbon and Exact or their MC.

The sound is a little rolled off in the top end & soft & fuzzy through the mids so thought it could be time for a needle change.
From my memory of the Elys, that’s what it does, with soggy bass added.

I don’t know the current AT VM range but I’ve been plenty happy with an AT100E on my Planar 3. I should think the VMs have garnered practically universal praise for a reason.

I'd forget the Elys,
Its temporarily not available from Rega and probably outgoing.
Bet they are working on a new range of (OEM ?) cartridges to sit between Carbon and Exact or their MC.
During some recent interviews Roy Gandy mentioned that they've been looking closely at magnetism with an eye toward a new MM generator design.

Personally, I can't see them throwing in the towel and buying in middling to higher audio-technica OEMs when they have proven themselves capable of being top innovators in both the MM and MC markets. You may not agree, but Rega's MM design remains one of the most innovative, being as it is among the few to omit a tie-wire suspension that also necessitates a rubber damper to quell the HF resonances that such a tension wire exhibits (prequel to their MC design), not to mention that these components tend to lose their mojo quite rapidly. Despite omitting a resonant removable stylus assembly, Rega MMs can potentially be renewed almost indefinitely.

Last edited:
Craig, innovators or not, money talks, Rega are surely faced with the fact, building MC's generate more profit than a mid-priced MM.

Their Bias cartridge were around RRP €125.
Thats maybe €20-25+ in manufacture cost(pure guess), while a Carbon is most likely 1/3 or less in the numbers they purchase.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back