advertisement

PVC outer sleeves

They certainly exist as Japanese albums usually ship in them. I’ve heard the ones with sticky flaps (which I dislike too) referred to as ‘Drake Sleeves’, whether they do a flap-free version I don’t know. The poly ones I use (from covers33) irritate me a bit as they do make it harder to get the record on/off the shelf, but they work and I can’t see myself replacing them at this stage even though I much prefer the Japanese style mylar ones.

Paclinq in Holland do these sleeves in many varieties and they are the clearest I have bought. The flapless versions are the best if records are inserted with the opening at the top of the album otherwise they tend to slide off when removing from "snug" shelves. I avoid the flapped versions now because no matter how careful you are, sooner or later that last drink will make you put an inner sleeve or worse an outer onto the adhesive with predictable results. Their terminology is "Blake" sleeves and they did provide excellent VFM however post Brexit VAT costs make them rather expensive these days unless they are running BOGOF offers or the like.

I have also used "Blake" sleeves purchased on Amazon from sources in China but have returned several packets as they have been undersized and VERY snug.

Paclinq in Holland do these sleeves in many varieties and they are the clearest I have bought. The flapless versions are the best if records are inserted with the opening at the top of the album otherwise they tend to slide off when removing from "snug" shelves. I avoid the flapped versions now because no matter how careful you are, sooner or later that last drink will make you put an inner sleeve or worse an outer onto the adhesive with predictable results. Their terminology is "Blake" sleeves and they did provide excellent VFM however post Brexit VAT costs make them rather expensive these days unless they are running BOGOF offers or the like.

I have also used "Blake" sleeves purchased on Amazon from sources in China but have returned several packets as they have been undersized and VERY snug.
See my post earlier about Vinyl Guru in Newcastle who supply the Paqlink sleeves etc

I generally don’t like using outer sleeves. It’s an extra faff and even if it does in some way protect from sunlight etc (mine are never in the sun) it just detracts from the artwork in some way. The only exception I make is for Japanese albums with obi strips which obviously need protection from snagging, but for those I use the thinnest plastic ones, with the open side at the top.

the shrink is a barrier layer between the PVC and the actual sleeve and the record. It certainly has to be better protected than most copies which will have had the shrink removed to open and play the record!

Need to be careful with that though too. I kept my original Massive [Attack] - Blue Lines in the shrink in its cardboard mailer outer and the shrink ended up welding itself to the record sleeve over the years. When I noticed and finally tried to limit the damage by removing the shrink carefully as possible, it badly damaged parts of the back cover picture. Grrr.

Can you buy those Blake style ones with a flap but no adhesive strip? I was looking for a thin outer protective sleeve but with a flap to stop dust migrating in.

Hey all. Most of my vinyl is in transparent outer protective sleeves. I hear that if these are PVC they may damage the actual LP cover or even the vinyl itself.

However, polythene sleeves are apparently ok. Is there an easy way to distinguish between the two types? Or should I take no chances and ditch the lot (probably 800+)?

The PVC ones are the thick and heavy ones that tend to go brittle and split given enough time. Poly ones are lighter, flimsier, and really not as nice to use, but they are safe.

Reactions: JTC
I’m gonna do a pass through. Even some relatively recent vinyl looks to have PVC sleeves (e.g. the SV 180g releases I seem to have loads of)…

Yes, the Simply Vinyl are definitely PVC. As stated upthread I think there are other factors and much of the nightmare stories have had less than appropriate environmental storage etc. I’ve had many of my most valuable albums in them, some for 40+ years, but I have no damp issues etc, and the vinyl is always in a poly or Nagaoka inner. Zero problems aside from the 7” singles I mentioned upthread that are in direct contact with the PVC. I do replace tired looking sleeves though, e.g. if they are yellowed or cracked, so maybe that saved me. I don’t have much in the way of Simply Vinyl, maybe three, but I’ve bought and sold a lot and I’ve never seen one with any issues, though again they do have poly inners.

I’d monitor rather than panic assuming you are using poly inners/Nags. Old 60s and 70s Decca poly inners are much more of a risk IMO, as are classical box sets (vinyl or CD) with foam inserts. Again there are threads on both somewhere. Record collections definitely do need checking and assessing now and again. Don’t assume nothing changes. I did a recent pass through when loading everything into Discogs and did a lot of cleaning, inner and outer sleeve swapping etc.

Interesting post and youtube video. I have records dating back to when I first started collecting records in the late 70's and I religiously put them in PVC covers on the day of purchase, hating the 'cheap, flimsy alternative covers' at the time. I have just gone through the oldest records I bought back then, while a few have got that rippling effect, only one had partial stuck to the cover. A little careful peeling separated it with no damage done. None have suffered the damage shown in the video. I do have a first pressing of The Wall and that is one of the gatefold PVC covers that had 'rippled. But again no impact on the record.

I am a little conflicted, no damage after 40+ years of ownership and record covers that have been protected to an extent that they still look brand new - much of this I put down to the robust nature of the PVC covers. Maybe it is the temperature that is the real killer here, so I for one will not be throwing out all my PVC covers but will continue to keep my records out of sunlight, stored vertically. I will swap out the 'rippled' covers with new PVC ones I have on hand as I suspect they will remain flat beyond my life!

Some may say that mad, but I am prepared to take the risk and keep the covers in A1 condition. If others have other experiences I would be really interested. Oh, and btw I was not so thorough to change many of the inners back then (I do now) so Tony, your theory while possibly helpful, is not the reason mine are ok.

You can get those Drake type sleeves without a sealable flap from Vinyl Guru.

I ordered from them the other day.

https://www.vinylguru.co.uk/collections/all/format-accessories
Thanks, just got these, they’re good. Not snug, which I’d prefer, but the right material.
I generally don’t like using outer sleeves. It’s an extra faff and even if it does in some way protect from sunlight etc (mine are never in the sun) it just detracts from the artwork in some way. The only exception I make is for Japanese albums with obi strips which obviously need protection from snagging, but for those I use the thinnest plastic ones, with the open side at the top.
And thanks for the tip of putting the opening at the top! Extra hassle but stops the billowing when placing back on the shelf.

Michael of 45RPM Audiophile on YouTube buys from these guys in Canada (even though he's in Germany). They seem to do a good range and they give the specs!

https://vinylstoragesolutions.ca/

They have a UK outlet

https://mintsleeves.com/

I’m currently sleeving my collection with these, they are by far the best outer sleeves I’ve used, you can combine two for a gatefold which is a great idea.
The mofi-like inners are superb too.

Not cheap by any means, but Highly recommended.

Most of my records are in polythene (not PVC) sleeves -so should be OK.

I have a Durutti Column "Without Mercy" reissue LP (which comes with a signed postcard)...

...a nice item but it comes in a PVC outer.

I keep all my Durutti LPs in a sealed vinyl box.

So the PVC is not subject to UV light - would it still be wise to remove the LP from its outer?

I just don't understand why some people still insist on using PVC covers. Certain storage conditions and PVC formulations may not create problems I agree, but why take the risk? The evidence is clear that 'fogging' can and does occur (even through a plastic inner sleeve) and I have personal experience of this. Even a record stored next to one with a PVC outer can suffer the consequences. Most of the records that I've sleeved with PVC has fogging and this is with various types of PVC outers.

Personally I would get rid of all PVC sleeves (in fact I've thrown out a big stack of nicely made unused PVC covers). If you want to keep them for whatever reason, remove the records and store them separately. I wouldn't keep the PVC sleeves with the records in a sealed box; the vinyl reacts chemically with the gas emissions from the sleeve.

There are many alternative plastic covers. If you want something 'better' to protect your record cover, just opt for the thicker ones.

52152092552_0072f724d2_b.jpg

I’ll just stick this here as an example of what I’m doing with outliers that come in PVC outers as part of the packaging/artwork. This Holger Hiller album is obviously a homage to the first Faust album, so clear vinyl in a clear inner with a printed clear (PVC) outer. I obviously want to keep it all together, but I’ve placed a card stiffener between the printed PVC outer and the now double-protected vinyl (a Nagaoka inside the original clear poly inner). There aren’t many records like this, but I have a few (The Orb’s UFOrb has an opaque PVC outer being another). They all need thinking about. I suspect this approach will work. There is a significant barrier.

advertisement

Back