advertisement

DAC needed...bang for buck

If you can find one a Schiit Modi Multibit may be worth considering - for me it beat a Mojo (which I also liked) and matched a 2Qute.

^^^^^
That does look like another contender! Shame there's no stock anywhere.... anyone parting with one?

Chord Mojo mk1 replaced a Denafrips Ares II in my main system. I only tried it out to see how it sounded……..and it stayed

I’ve heard reports that the mk2 is slightly less analogue sounding but not heard the mk2 myself.

I have a Mojo and a recently acquired Mojo 2, I don't think the Mojo 2 is really any less analogue, it's slightly less warm at the bottom end, but it's better defined, so I think it's this that leads people to that conclusion.

I also have a Topping DX3+ Pro on my desk and it's competent and very versatile as a digital preamp for multiple sources, but musically it's nowhere near as engaging as the Mojo(s).

If anyone wants a Mojo2, Peter Tyson have open box units with 2 yr warranty for £399, which is where I bought mine. They also have the Qutest @ £999, but I couldn't justify the spend, the Mojo is a killer product and I consider it excellent value.

I'm quite liking the crossfeed on the new unit, for headphone listening, the lowest setting is subtle, but effective.

I have a Mojo and a recently acquired Mojo 2, I don't think the Mojo 2 is really any less analogue, it's slightly less warm at the bottom end, but it's better defined, so I think it's this that leads people to that conclusion.

I also have a Topping DX3+ Pro on my desk and it's competent and very versatile as a digital preamp for multiple sources, but musically it's nowhere near as engaging as the Mojo(s).

If anyone wants a Mojo2, Peter Tyson have open box units with 2 yr warranty for £399, which is where I bought mine. They also have the Qutest @ £999, but I couldn't justify the spend, the Mojo is a killer product and I consider it excellent value.

I'm quite liking the crossfeed on the new unit, for headphone listening, the lowest setting is subtle, but effective.

Interesting to note re the Mojo 2

I've still got nowhere with this but did have an extra thought.
If I were to remove the USB input from the equation, as I have a USB only DAC available, leaving just coax and optical what are my chances of finding something more engaging at a modest outlay?
This obviously opens the way to older DACs like DPA etc.

To any younglings who happen to come across this thread..please use your ears to listen..this is important..keep away from the measurists..they are like sirens..singing their hideous song hoping to drown the unfortunate sailor who listens to their nonsense..but the measurists don't realise that they are also trapped..forever singing..younglings avoid this trap! Listen with a open heart and not a closed mind..and great treasures in the music you will find...

O/T but reminds me of a word I saw on a digital photography forum: "Measurebater" or "Measurebating"

EDIT: I'm not suggesting anyone on PFM is a measurebater by the way. Just thought it was a neat word to warn us all from getting too obsessed by specifications.

O/T but reminds me of a word I saw on a digital photography forum: "Measurebater" or "Measurebating"

EDIT: I'm not suggesting anyone on PFM is a measurebater by the way. Just thought it was a neat word to warn us all from getting too obsessed by specifications.
I gave up " measurabating " and my hearing got a lot better! Lol..

I've still got nowhere with this but did have an extra thought.
If I were to remove the USB input from the equation, as I have a USB only DAC available, leaving just coax and optical what are my chances of finding something more engaging at a modest outlay?
This obviously opens the way to older DACs like DPA etc.
If you were to use the dac for streaming? Get hold of a usb/spdif converter and then older dacs can be used..

A CCA handles streaming so only optical needed there.
CDP is either optical or coaxial. I get better results via coax.
MDP is optical.
Lappy is the USB source.

If you were to use the dac for streaming? Get hold of a usb/spdif converter and then older dacs can be used..

Yes, exactly what I throwing out there. I've now heard a Mojo2 and found it very precise but cold to my tastes. On balance I preferred the 506.24's own presentation.

MDP is optical.
Lappy is the USB source.

Yes, exactly what I throwing out there. I've now heard a Mojo2 and found it very precise but cold to my tastes. On balance I preferred the 506.24's own presentation.

I wonder if the Mojo 2 might have benefited from a tweak of the inbuilt tone controls, apparently they’re quite effective I’ve read.

Possibly yes. I was asked not to tinker with that when I borrowed it.
By a friend or a shop? It’s easy to reset, so seems an odd restriction to impose on you? A shame really as it could have altered your (negative) findings about it.

More acquaintance than friend, as he was generous with the loan I didn't question his condition.
I can only assume he took some time to reach the setting he liked most.

(HiFi shops here? :D )

MDP is optical.
Lappy is the USB source.

My audio alchemy dac sounded very good fed qobuz..the dac in my musical fidelity pre amp sounded nice too! ( think it was an older dac ) I have a dac in my kingrex T20u 48kHz max..sounds fab! I like a dac to sound analogue..not sure modern dacs do anymore? Desperate get the last ounce of detail, but lose the musicality? In my opinion..

advertisement

Back