advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

There's a much longer thread on the green place if you fancy biased
Guess a few there own a Solstice.

Some believe that audio fora must have at least one Naim bashing thread open at all times.

If this one closes, some clown will come along and open another one. Only one way to stop it…

C6762-E19-0-A54-4-C41-9-EBB-7-F31-A1-C4-A599.jpg

I’ve read a little too much of this thread for own good.
As I’m sitting here listening to Tanya Donnelly and the Parkington sisters eponymous album, the sounds are caressing my ears having left a Roon core on a Win 10 NUC, traversing the ether (wireless) to an Auralic Aries G2, thence to a Chord Hugo TT/ mscaler combination into a NAC 552, powered by a NAP 300 sending a signal to SL2/n-sub speaker combo. Manipulating the signal is a set of DSP convolution filters from Home Audio Fidelity to remove some room nastiness.

Roon annoy me sometimes.
Auralic annoys me sometimes.
Chord annoy me sometimes.
Naim annoy me sometimes.
Home Audio Fidelity is amazing and Thierry who is the main man is a true gent and has given me for half the price of a Naim power line what is referred to in Naim parlance as a black box upgrade.

Roon is probably the nearest to JV Naim, people with a vision trying to give people a great streaming experience but making a business out of it.
Auralic have a bit of the new pretender about them but their streamer/DAC/ clock / upscaler source at €25k makes me doubt their Robin Hood credentials.
Chord do seem to make pretty good sounding products at a relatively reasonable (high end) price but why do they need so many stupid shapes and silly lights.
Naim are no longer the “club” I felt I joined back in 2004, have become way too expensive ( I couldn’t countenance a NAP 500) and are clearly just another company like Roon, Auralic and chord.

What does amaze me is how this upsets people so much. I do realise that evangelical followers of a brand can really grate and I’m finding the Naim forum which I have contributed a fair bit to over the years to be a real pain in the proverbial for a few years now but why this bothers people so much I cannot fully fathom. It seems sometimes like an inverse unrequited love scenario.

There must be some traction and emotion to these topics though to generate such heat.

Naim to me (now) is no different to Panasonic / Miele / Bosch/ Volkswagen/ Auralic / Chord / Roon. I’ll purchase whatever products suit me and will try not to lose too much sleep over the ones that don’t.

However I suppose even replying to this thread probably indicates more conflicted emotions with the Naim brand than my post articulates.

Nowt as queer as folk.

And as I type the wonderful Roon extension “Random Radio”: has moved on to Eurythmics- Torch. (Why doesn’t Roon have this functionality without me having to run a virtual machine on my windows core running dietpi to run the Roon extensions program?)

Am I making myself clear?

.sjb

What does amaze me is how this upsets people so much. I do realise that evangelical followers of a brand can really grate and I’m finding the Naim forum which I have contributed a fair bit to over the years to be a real pain in the proverbial for a few years now but why this bothers people so much I cannot fully fathom. It seems sometimes like an inverse unrequited love scenario.
.sjb

It's very odd Mr Sloop. Perhaps someone dropped a NAP250 on their head when they were in their pram? Maybe Julian Vereker shot their dogs? Or they were frightened by one of those pesky Naim door-to-door salesmen, you know, the ones that forced you to sign up all your worldly wealth for a power supply? Their rabid rants on why they hate Naim so much don't really butter the parsnips, do they? It's all very perplexing.

I can understand the tribal nature of football but this kind of culture in hifi is probably the saddest thing I ever saw. I got a taste when I owned an LP12; it was all rather hilarious and pathetic in equal measure.

For those who may be interested Audio T in Brighton are hosting a LP12 Klimax Vs Naim Solstice this Saturday .

Thinks like that are of zero interest to me. The comparison is so system and set-up dependent it's really easy to swing the advantage one way or the other. The only think I care about it how something sounds in my house in my system.

Thinks like that are of zero interest to me. The comparison is so system and set-up dependent it's really easy to swing the advantage one way or the other. The only think I care about it how something sounds in my house in my system.

Or you might just have fun meeting like-minded folk and listening to music? I have zero interest in the Solstice and Linn full-fat, but do buy from Audio-T Brighton, so I feel sure they wouldn’t mind me spending an hour with them.

Heard the Solstice at Audio T brighton when they had their Naim/ATC event. Sounded very nice and I like the looks. Would be interesting to hear vs to level LP12 so might pop over

Or you might just have fun meeting like-minded folk and listening to music?

Dealer dem evenings are not my idea of fun. I can remember fun and was very different from sitting on a folding chair beside a bunch of sweaty anoraks listening to music I don't like on a system that usually doesn't sound very good.

What time? I was there a week ago having my Xerxes fettled and saw the Solstice sitting on a rack…

I didn't read a time on their blog post, I guess best to give them a call.

I guess you'll not be attending then

I guess you'll not be attending then

I live 460 miles away. Although having said that, I wouldn't be going if it was 2 miles away. I was in a shop a month or so ago and stood next to a Solstice chatting for twenty minutes and I didn't bother asking to hear it.

Maybe if it had a chocolate cake on it?

advertisement

Back