advertisement

isoacoustics isolators

A valid comparison would be to place the other pair on a directly coupled stand the same height as the isoacoustics stand.

We agree on something for once. I maintained equal heights for my comparison with and without the OREA pucks. There were small measured changes in the FR and waterfall, but no more statistically significant IMO than the small variations you already get when you repeat tests within a few seconds of each other, which supports my opinion that REW and/or the act of undertaking acoustical analysis in a typical domestic environment is not accurate enough to detect and attribute subtle changes.

Also, looking at distortion plots below approx 50Hz is absolutely useless unless you live in the middle of nowhere. If you have a road or railway line within a few hundred meters of you, like I do, or live in a place where it's often windy (which is pretty much anywhere in the UK!), you haven't a hope in hell of being able to take accurate and consistent low frequency distortion measurements.

@JTC - Using OREA pucks under my Celestions without a doubt makes them more forward and dynamic sounding, especially in the upper-midrange / lower treble. Without the pucks I usually run with a -1.5dB cut around 5kHz but with the pucks I need to increase this to -2.5dB to maintain a comparable tonal balance. Well worth it though for the improvements elsewhere, especially in imaging/soundstaging.

We agree on something for once. I maintained equal heights for my comparison with and without the OREA pucks. There were small measured changes in the FR and waterfall, but no more statistically significant IMO than the small variations you already get when you repeat tests within a few seconds of each other, which supports my opinion that REW and/or the act of undertaking acoustical analysis in a typical domestic environment is not accurate enough to detect and attribute subtle changes.

Also, looking at distortion plots below approx 50Hz is absolutely useless unless you live in the middle of nowhere. If you have a road or railway line within a few hundred meters of you, like I do, or live in a place where it's often windy (which is pretty much anywhere in the UK!), you haven't a hope in hell of being able to take accurate and consistent low frequency distortion measurements.

@JTC - Using OREA pucks under my Celestions without a doubt makes them more forward and dynamic sounding, especially in the upper-midrange / lower treble. Without the pucks I usually run with a -1.5dB cut around 5kHz but with the pucks I need to increase this to -2.5dB to maintain a comparable tonal balance. Well worth it though for the improvements elsewhere, especially in imaging/soundstaging.
Good points!

I also doubt that you can come to too firm a conclusion from REW measurements; useful as they are.

I did post about low frequency distortion measurements using REW, and I agree with you reservations about taking consistent measurements. As it happens, I am out in the country and as long as a vehicle isn’t passing in the lane my ambient noise levels are low and consistent in the middle of the night if there is low wind - on which point I just have to clench my buttocks when running a sweep.

Yep, I’ve dialled back the HF a bit on my Tannoys too. Very pleased with the outcome of my Gaia experiment.

It’s early but I just removed the bungs without moving the speakers and it’s sounding lovely (albeit at low volumes so far)...

Further update: I don't want to jinx it but I think the speakers seem fine where they are - no obvious peaks or nulls, nice tight and solid bass, all sounding balanced and correct. I think I slightly messed up the toe-in when putting the speakers+Gaias onto the spiked discs - but only slightly. Seems that I reduced the toe-in a bit so need to rotate the RHS speaker by a tiny bit, see if I can improve the imaging further, but it's sounding great as it is.... bit tight clearance for the door to its right hand side though, it clears with less than 10mm to spare, might move it a tad further, maybe to get 15mm clearance. Don't need much :)

Sounds like getting the Ardens off the carpet was the game changer.

Folks, I finally installed Gaia II on Marten Duke 2 standmounts. To cut a long story short, I am very impressed with the changes that the Gaias have brought to the system. Highly recommended if you can give them a try.

I have just put a set of Gaia 3 on my Audio Physic Tempo speakers. I was very skeptical about spending £400 on feet. But they do what they claim to do. I am a very happy with the improvements they have bought to my system.

Resurrecting this thread as im facing a problem.
I've changed my speakers recently going from a floorstanders to standmounts.
With my floorstanders as theyve only weight about 30kg been using gaia 3 with great results.
After changing the speakers my actual are around 44kg each so I have upgraded to gaia 2 for the correct weight.

Bought them brand new.
Fitted gaia 2 to the stands as recommended for the full even contact to the floor.
Started playing some music and- to my surprice the speakers sounding worse with gaia 2 than with the spikes,the bass is boomy and uncontrolled,also the midrange and highs became shouty and artificial sounding!

Honestly -ive had the gaia 3 with my previous speakers and the result was completely opposite with more controlled bass and all aspects of sound significantly better.

So here is my question: Could it be possible what I am experiencing is kind of mechanical loosening (burning in or adjusting and softening compund) so after some time they will improve to their original efect state?...
Anyone else experienced same problem ?

Thanks

to my surprice the speakers sounding worse with gaia 2 than with the spikes,the bass is boomy and uncontrolled,also the midrange and highs became shouty and artificial sounding!
That is not my experience. The Gaias reduced the bass boom as everything sounded cleaner and more controlled. Less effect on the midrange and treble but I thought the sound was slightly smoother, not the other way round. Obviously something is wrong with your set up and I have no clue what it is.

Check all 4 feet are uniformly loaded without any one hanging looser off the ground. What are the monitors and are the stands mass loaded? I use Gaia 2 on mass loaded stands too.

A question I already know the answer to - Tannoy Turnberry at 36kg.....I presume the Gaia III won't cut the mustard?

That is not my experience. The Gaias reduced the bass boom as everything sounded cleaner and more controlled. Less effect on the midrange and treble but I thought the sound was slightly smoother, not the other way round. Obviously something is wrong with your set up and I have no clue what it is.

Check all 4 feet are uniformly loaded without any one hanging looser off the ground. What are the monitors and are the stands mass loaded? I use Gaia 2 on mass loaded stands too.

Ive got some target stands very solid and mass loaded they are 24kg each plus speaker 18 kg each

Has anyone tried their sub isolation stand?

I use their ISO-200sub under my Dynaudio 18s and can place a coin on top of the sub balanced on edge whilst listening at 75db, it’s sat on a 40mm thick cut slab of slate and that is sat on 4 sorbothane pucks.

Seems to work perfectly well for my needs.

51993437729_9c4fbb00dc_4k.jpg

Any difference to the FR with and without?

Gawd knows, my mate set it up where it is as the best position for bass response in my room and I’m not about to claim my ears are special enough to notice any sonic differences, sub weighs well over 20kg as does the slate so it’s not being moved to find out :).

advertisement

Back