advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair the plan is to no longer get our, or the robots', hands dirty.

I'd forgotten all about Patrick Minford. Now you've only gone and undone one of the few advantages to be found in early onset dementia.

Anyway looking him up again I was interested to discover (new to me) that he was economic advisor to the Malawi government in the 1970's. I'm not an expert on Malawi but happened to be there during the 1993 election that brought about the fall of one of Africa's longest standing dictators (Hastings Banda1963 - 1993). Banda had declared himself president for life in 1971 and went on to personally own and control businesses that between them were said to account for about 20% of Malawi's GDP. The people (one of Africa's most neglected and most illiterate publics) very obviously and unsurprisingly couldn't wait to see the back of him. I had never seen seen such enthusiasm for an election and haven't since either.

The great UK food disaster is underway...

"We found that labour shortages across the sector were causing crops to go unharvested and left to rot in fields, healthy pigs to be culled, and disruption to the food supply chain’s just-in-time delivery model."

"The evidence we have taken leaves us in no doubt about the seriousness of the issues facing the food and farming sector caused by labour shortages. These include food security, animal welfare and the mental health of those working in the sector. In contrast, the Government has not demonstrated a strong understanding of these issues, and even on occasion sought to pass the blame onto the sector on the basis of incorrect information about its own immigration system. The Government must radically shift its attitude and work together with the sector to devise solutions that speedily help address the problems it faces, in the short, medium and long-term to help the UK’s food industry and enable it to thrive. Failure to do so risks shrinking the sector and leading to higher food inflation at the price of the UK’s competitiveness, thereby making the country more reliant on food imports as we export our food production capacity—as well as the jobs it supports—abroad."

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/9580/documents/162177/default/

Brexit has led to the worst government of my lifetime, with Tory cabinet members so hopelessly unqualified for their job that they are further damaging Britain and our reputation on the world stage. Think Liz Truss, Chris Grayling, Dominic Raab, Nadine Dorries, etc etc. I think we need a term for this phenomenon. Let's call it 'Brexit-level competence.'

I'd forgotten all about Patrick Minford. Now you've only gone and undone one of the few advantages to be found in early onset dementia.

Anyway looking him up again I was interested to discover (new to me) that he was economic advisor to the Malawi government in the 1970's. I'm not an expert on Malawi but happened to be there during the 1993 election that brought about the fall of one of Africa's longest standing dictators (Hastings Banda1963 - 1993). Banda had declared himself president for life in 1971 and went on to personally own and control businesses that between them were said to account for about 20% of Malawi's GDP. The people (one of Africa's most neglected and most illiterate publics) very obviously and unsurprisingly couldn't wait to see the back of him. I had never seen seen such enthusiasm for an election and haven't since either.

This is what I remember of Hastings Banda :-

The great UK food disaster is underway...

"We found that labour shortages across the sector were causing crops to go unharvested and left to rot in fields, healthy pigs to be culled, and disruption to the food supply chain’s just-in-time delivery model."

"The evidence we have taken leaves us in no doubt about the seriousness of the issues facing the food and farming sector caused by labour shortages. These include food security, animal welfare and the mental health of those working in the sector. In contrast, the Government has not demonstrated a strong understanding of these issues, and even on occasion sought to pass the blame onto the sector on the basis of incorrect information about its own immigration system. The Government must radically shift its attitude and work together with the sector to devise solutions that speedily help address the problems it faces, in the short, medium and long-term to help the UK’s food industry and enable it to thrive. Failure to do so risks shrinking the sector and leading to higher food inflation at the price of the UK’s competitiveness, thereby making the country more reliant on food imports as we export our food production capacity—as well as the jobs it supports—abroad."

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/9580/documents/162177/default/
If we’re honest, we could all do with cutting back a bit anyway™.

Sir Keir should stop shrinking away from Brexit and he should promise that under a Labour government, Johnson and Mogg and Farage and all the rest of them would be put on trial for Brexit lies.

When (cos it's not 'if') found guilty, they would be sentenced to plant and pick fruit and veg in the fields for at least five years.

Minford was one of my lecturers at Liverpool Uni. Even as an undergrad we could tell he was an ultra free-market nutter. All the other lecturers made fun of him.

Minford was one of my lecturers at Liverpool Uni. Even as an undergrad we could tell he was an ultra free-market nutter. All the other lecturers made fun of him.

By strange coincidence one of my lecturers at Bristol (Willem Buiter) also liked to take the piss out of Minford, Friedman and all the other Monetarist loons. He'd impersonate (what we supposed he imagined to be) a Voodoo priest trying vainly to control the supply of money. He seemed to think it was very funny and we did all laugh but probably more because jokes in economics were vanishingly rare rather than because we actually understood his argument. We never did understand what Buiter was on about TBH. But were happy (and right) to hold Monetarism in disdain.

By strange coincidence one of my lecturers at Bristol (Willem Buiter) also liked to take the piss out of Minford, Friedman and all the other Monetarist loons. He'd impersonate (what we supposed he imagined to be) a Voodoo priest trying vainly to control the supply of money. He seemed to think it was very funny and we did all laugh but probably more because jokes in economics were vanishingly rare rather than because we actually understood his argument. We never did understand what Buiter was on about TBH. But were happy (and right) to hold Monetarism in disdain.
Buiter used to write interesting and quite entertaining columns in the FT, mostly about macro and central bank policy. About 10 years ago he got a big job as head economist somewhere (Citigroup IIRC) and that was the end of his moonlighting as a journo (a bit of a loss for the FT, I thought).

Buiter used to write interesting and quite entertaining columns in the FT, mostly about macro and central bank policy. About 10 years ago he got a big job as head economist somewhere (Citigroup IIRC) and that was the end of his moonlighting as a journo (a bit of a loss for the FT, I thought).

I seem to remember he also worked as a economic advisor to the early Blair governments. I used to fondly imagine Tony and Gordon having no clue what he was on an about either. Perhaps I should look up some of his old columns. I might stand a chance of understanding those.

And China is not short of people. Amazing.

They recognised early on that they needed to upskill and automate something totally lacking in the U.K., the only hope with China is that Xi Jinpings authoritarianism sends the economy in the same direction as Russia’s, unfortunately we can’t bank on that, they seem to be catching up in most areas caught up in a few and ahead in some others.

They recognised early on that they needed to upskill and automate something totally lacking in the U.K., the only hope with China is that Xi Jinpings authoritarianism sends the economy in the same direction as Russia’s, unfortunately we can’t bank on that, they seem to be catching up in most areas caught up in a few and ahead in some others.

Routinely by dint of stealing it, something at which they excel. They do a good line in deadly virus production too, it seems.

I've worked in theatre/music/events form most of my carrer and I'm just about retiring. I worked all over the EU and there was never any paperwork. Brexit has devastated an industry which took a lot of UK crews all round Europe being paid locally and paying tax in the UK. The ferry problem has cancelled this gig but there are countless more that never get organised any more. The EU offered a special opt out for musicians/performers but our friends in the Tory party said no.

Can't have anything that looks like a concession to the EU now can we. Arseholes cutting everyone elses noses off and their faces fine.

A recent RS order I placed took 11 days to arrive despite the fact that the parts were in stock - in their Belgian warehouse. It mostly only takes an extra day but sometimes "they run a check and demand extra paperwork"......

Nothing high tech, just ribbon connectors FFS.

Routinely by dint of stealing it, something at which they excel. They do a good line in deadly virus production too, it seems.

Yes it’s true they are veritable magpies but then so is everyone else, what you must understand is that 20 years ago their R&D was a bit second rate, it’s not now it’s world class and they are piling money into it the U.K. isn’t and will get and is getting left behind.

Yes it’s true they are veritable magpies but then so is everyone else, what you must understand is that 20 years ago their R&D was a bit second rate, it’s not now it’s world class and they are piling money into it the U.K. isn’t and will get and is getting left behind.

This is true.

Not much coverage in the media about the current chaos at Dover, funny that.

This is the Brexit thread. I suspect there's one on the suspension of P&O services elsewhere on the forum.

Anyway, there's plenty on it on the BBC. Try Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back