advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Ian, I have to ask - how did the A40 do against the Mephisto? I suspect it held its own, but that piece is near the top of the range for Gryphon and pretty much end game for 99.9% of people.

You can’t really compare the A40 to the Mephisto on those speakers as they require a lot more power than the A40 has to make them really come alive. The Mephisto has the necessary power and as a consequence the Scintillas were more dynamic and just had more of everything when driven by the Gryphon. What would be really interesting is to compare the 2 amps on much less demanding speakers - something appropriate to the A40’s c.40wpc into 8 ohms. I understand Colin is working on revised versions of the M100 and WB amps based on what he has learned from the A40 and once ready there is a plan for Alan and Col to bring one (or both?) up to try on the Scintillas. That will be closer to being a fair fight . . .

You can’t really compare the A40 to the Mephisto on those speakers as they require a lot more power than the A40 has to make them really come alive. The Mephisto has the necessary power and as a consequence the Scintillas were more dynamic and just had more of everything when driven by the Gryphon. What would be really interesting is to compare the 2 amps on much less demanding speakers - something appropriate to the A40’s c.40wpc into 8 ohms. I understand Colin is working on revised versions of the M100 and WB amps based on what he has learned from the A40 and once ready there is a plan for Alan and Col to bring one (or both?) up to try on the Scintillas. That will be closer to being a fair fight . . .

Now Ian do not forget the coffee and custard tarts you said we could have when we come up.:)

Just got my IC40 digital cable. Only had chance for a quick listen but definitely better than my existing cable. Hard to describe the differences but it is a calmer listen with better bass. Will update again when I can get a longer listen.

OK everyone, we have been sending stuff around for over two years now, probably that covers just about everyone who wants a go?

If you are curious, even if you are only a tyre kicker (but can stand the postage), you are still welcome to try an EWA cable. Have a look at the first few posts in this thread to see what is available. I have the mixed box and the LS-40 back here now, and I know where the LS-80 is currently residing.

The mixed box is our 'lower mid-range' 25 series stuff; interconnects (RCA and XLR), and USB. There is also an MCS-5 power cable in there.

The other boxes contain LS-40, and the last LS-80. Contact me if you want a go, otherwise this tour can quietly fade away. It will always be on pfm as a reference for people to do their research. As of February 2022 this thread has been viewed 27,000 times, and the threads specific to speaker cables are even higher!

It’s a great idea and must have taken a lot of effort/faith. If it has paid off for you that would be a well deserved result. I did buy one of your early interconnects S/H so there’s something for the ‘bottom feeders’ too;)

Thanks so much Alan and Colin! It was great to try the box of other cables with my LS-80's — you really get to hear the difference when replacing all the cables rather than just one!

Thanks so much Alan and Colin! It was great to try the box of other cables with my LS-80's — you really get to hear the difference when replacing all the cables rather than just one!

No no do not blame me it was Alan's brilliant idea without it, these cables would no be here, thank you Alan.

It's been great, and we thank everyone (especially for the feedback and comments on this thread). It is true, we weren't being altogether altruistic, but as we are operating direct sales (with no dealers to demonstrate Colin's designs), a forum tour seemed a good way to get the products into people's hand. And we have certainly made a good number of sales as a result, for which we are grateful. Plus, I hope, pfm has benefitted from additional traffic and new members.

Once again, sitting listening to my ProAc SM100s, EWA A40, Chord Hugo TT2 and thanking the skies above I can afford this stuff. Should also mention the LS40, IC40s and MCS5s in the system. I still am so impressed with how much this system sounds like music. Much of which comes down to the affordability of Colin and Alan's products.

By the way I also recommend Tillimuqui Malbec.

Thanks Colin and Alan.

Cheers
Adam

Once again, sitting listening to my ProAc SM100s, EWA A40, Chord Hugo TT2 and thanking the skies above I can afford this stuff. Should also mention the LS40, IC40s and MCS5s in the system. I still am so impressed with how much this system sounds like music. Much of which comes down to the affordability of Colin and Alan's products.

By the way I also recommend Tillimuqui Malbec.

Thanks Colin and Alan.

Cheers
Adam
The A-40 is an absolutely superb amp and a screaming bargain to boot.

Has anyone compared the Starting point speaker cables with the LS-40's and 80's and can you give me an idea of the sonic differences?
I had both the 25's and 40's a while ago, now have the 80's and while I love what they do I am trying to tame a bit of excess bass in my square room so am wondering about trying some starting point's or maybe some 40's again which might just help and would give me some idea of what difference is - as I recall the 80's bought, amongst other things, a big increase in bass.. Not sure if the trade off will be something I can live with, but it has to be worth asking what experiences you've all had...

advertisement

Back