advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinatis now shipping to the UK again, £6 delivery for 6, £8 for 12, free postage over £150 with code FREEPOSTAGE, paypal, no minimum order requirement, capbern 2017 for £20. Fill your boots.

Vinatis now shipping to the UK again, £6 delivery for 6, £8 for 12, free postage over £150 with code FREEPOSTAGE, paypal, no minimum order requirement, capbern 2017 for £20. Fill your boots.
And they do referrals too. I’ll defer to manders if he says he wants to hand them out (he mentioned them first) but if he doesn’t you can contact me for £10 off a first order of £100. And a £10 voucher for me too. Hundreds of satisfied forum members so far! OK, one. Plus me.

I need some convincing,a cru bourgeois from St.Estephe "amazingly delightful and forward" come
back and tell me" c'est le Petit Jésus en cullote de velours"then maybe.

Had a taste of Chevalier Montrachet recently. Well yes nice enough, but not nice enough for that price.
I wonder who exactly buys these wines....

I need some convincing,a cru bourgeois from St.Estephe "amazingly delightful and forward" come
back and tell me" c'est le Petit Jésus en cullote de velours"then maybe.

Yes it could be marketing. But I can say this about the 2014 I drank the other day. You know how there are some wines which you hate and don't drink, and others which you drink but you don't much like, and others which you like and drink and really look forward to having some more of the same the day after and then think about opening another bottle the day after that. The Capbern was like that for me -- but nothing follows, it was a sunny day, probably just put me in a good mood. But it's only wine, it's only money, who cares?! No pockets in shrouds.

And they do referrals too. I’ll defer to manders if he says he wants to hand them out (he mentioned them first) but if he doesn’t you can contact me for £10 off a first order of £100. And a £10 voucher for me too. Hundreds of satisfied forum members so far! OK, one. Plus me.

Leave it with me, I'll order in the next few days -- if you or anyone else has time, it would be nice if they could mention anything interesting and affordable on the website because you can create a mixed case.

Where I've had no luck is with Beaujolais -- I wasn't mad about the Ronsay you all raved about here. So Beaujolais suggestions from Vinatis wouldn't go amiss. I'm also thinking of exploring the new wave in Muscadet.

That Rolly Gassmann Sylvaner is just unique ,just not what you expect and for £13.95 it's well just try it.
"Very deep gold for such a young wine. Rich, pungent, open, broad nose. Lots of fun here, more evidence that Alsace Sylvaner can be a seriously interesting dry wine"

Leave it with me, I'll order in the next few days -- if you or anyone else has time, it would be nice if they could mention anything interesting and affordable on the website because you can create a mixed case.

Where I've had no luck is with Beaujolais -- I wasn't mad about the Ronsay you all raved about here. So Beaujolais suggestions from Vinatis wouldn't go amiss. I'm also thinking of exploring the new wave in Muscadet.
Have you bought from them before? If not, I could refer you!

Well, OK, if you insist - it’s always easy spending someone else’s money. BUT caveat emptor, etc.

Beaujolais - Ronsay is fine (I’m having a bottle tonight) but remember it’s M. Brun’s entry-level job. I doubt if he would choose it to represent his domaine, any more than Guigal would choose their CdR (an equally fine vfm wine.) The JPB Ancien is selling there for £10.82 if you buy 2. It’s way better than Ronsay. It’s the 2021 though, so I’d be inclined to squirrel it away for two years minimum. In fact the Vinatis prices for all the Brun stuff runs French prices close - eg Fleurie Grille-Midi @ £17.67. Just the other day I said £19 at the Wine Soc was good. But again, to be kept for a couple of years. They are also selling his Beaujolais Blanc Vinification Bourguinonne at £14 ish. I loved this (and said so here.) And I’d quite like to try his Gamay fizz, FRV100 (geddit?) at £17.76.

Some stuff in their sale (which ends on the 6th)

JM Sorbe Quincy £10.38 - used to be very good, though I’m told he has sold out to a big company now

Menetou-Salon rouge Henry Pelle £13.84. That would be a total punt.

Zuccardi Bonarda ‘Emma’ £20.22. Seems a remarkably good price. @BTC3 rates it and that’s good enough for me. Don’t blame him for what I say, though! Might go for some of that myself...

Finally, a real left-fielder - Terres d’Orb from the Cave de Roquebrun (a fine vfm co-op) at the reduced price of... £4.37. I used to drink this on touring holidays in the south of France a decade - or maybe two - ago. Thought it was wonderful for the price (used to be about 3€ in hypermarkets down there.) It might end up in Manders’ Pot, but at that price... and if you want the full-on Terres d’Orb experience, they do a 3L box for £15.56, perfect for a chef’s tipple/casserole split!

Later: money put where mouth is - six Zuccardi (for short/mid-term) and four Ancien (long-term) have been ordered. Thanks for the free postage code, worked just fine!

Addition: I’ve looked at my past orders from Vinatis (orders from Vinatis.fr and Vinatis.co.uk are aggregated, which is handy) and I see I bought this Tavel, which I liked...

https://www.vinatis.co.uk/37597-tavel-2019-chateau-de-segries

...and some Burgaud Beaujolais-Villages, which I found a little bof, but that’s moot as it isn’t available in the UK anyway...

...and we’ll cast a veil over the Jeff Carrel stuff, not one of my brighter ideas.

Last edited:
Yes it could be marketing. But I can say this about the 2014 I drank the other day. You know how there are some wines which you hate and don't drink, and others which you drink but you don't much like, and others which you like and drink and really look forward to having some more of the same the day after and then think about opening another bottle the day after that. The Capbern was like that for me -- but nothing follows, it was a sunny day, probably just put me in a good mood. But it's only wine, it's only money, who cares?! No pockets in shrouds.

As a seasoned pro*, I completely agree with you. I judge a wine on its aromatics, fruit, acidity, structure, vitality, balance and length, but I only really know that I love a wine if I drink a bottle and still want more.

*I tasted 106 wines in an hour and a half last Tuesday immediately before holding the phone remarkably straight for the pics of the Shard in the photo room. (I have, incidentally, written to the River Police to thank them for subsequently fishing me out of the Thames at Greenwich Reach, and to reassure them that I wasn't drunk, just a little emotional).

I tasted 106 wines in an hour and a half last Tuesday...
Off the top of my head I’d say that’s about, oh, 50.94 seconds for each one. Do they come to you on a conveyor belt, or do you have to factor travel between tables into that time? What about making notes? Finding the correct page in your ledger, time taken fumbling in your pockets for your pen, removing the cap, occasional refills from your bottle of Quink and of course blotting thoroughly? Or does your amanuensis sort all that for you?

Off the top of my head I’d say that’s about, oh, 50.94 seconds for each one. Do they come to you on a conveyor belt, or do you have to factor travel between tables into that time? What about making notes? Finding the correct page in your ledger, time taken fumbling in your pockets for your pen, removing the cap, occasional refills and of course blotting thoroughly? Or does your amanuensis sort all that for you?
You forgot the ones he loved add that on.

Off the top of my head I’d say that’s about, oh, 50.94 seconds for each one. Do they come to you on a conveyor belt, or do you have to factor travel between tables into that time? What about making notes? Finding the correct page in your ledger, time taken fumbling in your pockets for your pen, removing the cap, occasional refills and of course blotting thoroughly? Or does your amanuensis sort all that for you?

You've forgotten the repeated fumbling through all of my pockets for my glasses when they're parked on top of my head, nipping down to the gents to take discreet selfies, and having lunch.

Well, OK, it could have been two and a half hours. It's quite as easy to lose track of the time as it is your pens, sheets, glasses - and balance - at these things, you understand.

You've forgotten the repeated fumbling through all of my pockets for my glasses when they're parked on top of my head, nipping down to the gents to take discreet selfies, and having lunch.

Well, OK, it could have been two and a half hours. It's quite as easy to lose track of the time as it is your pens, sheets, glasses - and balance - at these things, you understand.

It must be a relief to come home and find you've not
bought anything.

Well, OK, it could have been two and a half hours.
Hmm...don’t know... I think you could be backtracking here to spare the blushes of your industry colleagues. Less than a minute doesn’t sound like a great deal of time to pick up on (then write down) all the silky tannins, crunchy fruit and fig, barnyard and garrigue flavours that make all the difference between a mediocre 91 and a stunning 92. Next time Jeb says ‘the finish seems to go on forever’ I’ll know he means to add ‘or for at least the 50.94 seconds before the klaxon went and I had to move on to the next one, anyway.’

It must be a relief to come home and find you've not
bought anything.

It can take some weeks to find out.

In regard of Uncle Marchbanks's comments on the subject of time on target, covid has very considerably thinned the crowd, and you are given a time slot, so the room is never too packed full of virus-ridden restaurant sommeliers and decrepit wine merchants slurping and spitting all over the place. Indeed, there wasn't even the usual, mildly panicked fight to get through the spitters to the spittoon, as clearly demonstrated in the lower photo;

VJZRWb.jpg

AF55n9.jpg

Below is the same room in a fairly calm moment 2019...

bmlQh9.jpg

PS My afemmeurensis was indisposed, which is why I was compelled to taste so many wines myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back