advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

gavreid

Pretty Words...
Boris Johnson wants you to forget Partygate. Don’t let him get away with it
Stephen Reicher

"In other words, the ball is now in our court. It may be that our prime minister has given up on the truth. It may be that his party has given up caring about his giving up on the truth and no longer has the will to remove him. Some people may now argue things such as “despite Partygate, Johnson got the big calls right” or “we can’t remove him in the midst of a war” – so called “greater good” arguments, which have always served as cover for the most toxic abuses. But if we allow ourselves to be seduced by these arguments then we too are giving up, and accepting that the distinction between true and false is only a secondary matter."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-resigning-matter-democracy-peril-leaders-lie

Well I’m on the outpatient ward now in, as you might expect, a separate part of the hospital. Very new building full of new equipment and staffed by very young, enthusiastic staff. There are three of us in here, each with the trade mark cough. The lady opposite is late 80s.
I understood that the anti viral drugs (monoclonal antibodies) were to be supplied as pills (e.g. Pfizer), but not in your case if it is an infusion, and hence I have to wonder if I have got this wrong.

I understood that the anti viral drugs (monoclonal antibodies) were to be supplied as pills (e.g. Pfizer), but not in your case if it is an infusion, and hence I have to wonder if I have got this wrong.

That's a different thing. Ronapreve (sp) I think it's called. It's Roche, came on stream late last summer.

https://www.cas.mhra.gov.uk/ViewandAcknowledgment/ViewAlert.aspx?AlertID=103191

The published policy, providing access to monoclonal antibodies or antivirals as treatment options for non-hospitalised patients at highest risk from COVID-19 infection, has been updated to include additional licensed antiviral treatment options – oral PF-07321332 (may also be known as nirmatrelvir) plus ritonavir (Paxlovid) as a new first-line treatment option, and intravenous remdesivir (Veklury) as a second-line treatment option. Intravenous sotrovimab (Xevudy) remains in the policy as a first-line treatment option. Oral molnupiravir (Lagevrio) remains a third-line option. Positive PCR tests or formally registered positive lateral flow tests may now be considered to meet the eligibility requirement on confirmed COVID infection.

Hi Ian

That was my understanding too from a letter I received a few months ago confirming my CEV status and which included a PCR test for home use. It said drugs would be posted but this is not the case in rural Suffolk IME. I had sotrovimab.

Ray

60 220 cases reported today along with 191 deaths and 2 219 and 2 355 admissions to (30/3). I'll call that equaling the January peak - not a peep from Johnson et al of course on the day they sabotaged the testing programme...

Hi Ian

That was my understanding too from a letter I received a few months ago confirming my CEV status and which included a PCR test for home use. It said drugs would be posted but this is not the case in rural Suffolk IME. I had sotrovimab.

Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks for confirming. That was what my letter said as well.

Hope that the sotrovimab work quickly for you.

Ian

I would not die of shock to find that cabinet members had quietly had a second booster.
2nd booster is allowed in the USA now after 4 months.
Look after themselves.

So on April Fools Day 2022 with Covid cases at an all time high the UK government announces an end to free mass Covid testing in the UK. Breath taking...

Yes on the same day that an official survey stated 4.9 million people had Covid, my Father in Laws care home have removed the requirement for visitors to show a negative LFT and wear PPE when visiting a resident. Looking at the condition of the people in these places, God help them.

Yes on the same day that an official survey stated 4.9 million people had Covid, my Father in Laws care home have removed the requirement for visitors to show a negative LFT and wear PPE when visiting a resident. Looking at the condition of the people in these places, God help them.
It’s criminal what’s going on right now, but so few people seem to care. It’s like people have just come to expect the worst and been conditioned to accept it as the norm. It’s genuinely depressing.

PCR was positive of course and after a triage call from a doctor at the hospital, I am booked in for an infusion of monocochal antibodies this afternoon which is quite a relief as I know they need to be applied in the first five days to be effective.
Hope you’re doing OK?

The guy who works with my wife was also working in her office some of the day and tested positive yesterday and someone he was working with later that day in another building has just tested positive, still negative here, reckon the FFP2 masks we bought and which she keeps on as much as possible might have done the trick, the rest of them use those flimsy masks.

Tested positive again 6 days after first positive.
Bored with this already.
The Wife is still negative, some good news.

Did olbas oil inhalation, made the house smell like a Spa. Didn’t promote the expected expectorations, but did feel like I was doing something.
The Wife has given me various vitamin tablets. I am drinking more water.

Not been out of the house for days. Might walk The Field later. Looks a bit warmer, expecting 5° C. and a light Westerly

Still testing faint positive yesterday, not that it matters under the new regs. Antibiotics working for the ear infection diagnosed on Friday. Feeling much better today, tho.

Resumed piano practice yesterday, although the poorly left ear wasn’t helping much. Can hear much more clearly today.

Hope you’re doing OK?

The guy who works with my wife was also working in her office some of the day and tested positive yesterday and someone he was working with later that day in another building has just tested positive, still negative here, reckon the FFP2 masks we bought and which she keeps on as much as possible might have done the trick, the rest of them use those flimsy masks.

Thank you for asking. The antivirals seemed to have done the trick and got on top of it with the fever and body aches now gone. The Covid 19 App is telling me I can stop isolating from tonight but, having just done an LFT in which the T line was virtually radioactive, I shall be waiting for two clear tests before I go near the public again.

Mrs Mull just tested +ve again though a much fainter line. She first tested +ve last Sun... 8 days ago, although she had clear symptoms on the preceding Sat., or even Fri..
She's pretty much back to normal... sadly. ;)

I've stayed symptom free throughout and tested -ve a couple of days ago, though I still have some residual symptoms from the Sinusitis. I'll test again later, and again before I go for yet another knee surgery pre-op on Weds 6th, though that is not a hospital requirement.

AIUI, I'm OK to go out and mingle if I want as I'm triple jabbed,but obvs, I am a sensible considerate person so am being v. careful.:rolleyes:

Mrs Mull is off to older daughter's 'Cat Sitting' tomorrow but daughter, grandkids etc.. will be gone by the time she gets there and the only others she might meet are youngest daughter who is just getting over Covid and her partner who developed it about last Weds... so that should represent minimal risk.

I'm hopefully coming to the end of infection.

Last Saturday I tested -ve in the morning and went to see my brother and his family. They were seeing his wife's family on Mother's Day so they did a test Saturday night as what they considered to be a 'box-tick' exercise....except they were both +ve... :rolleyes: I subsequently tested +ve on Tuesday AM, symptoms kicked in Weds evening (cough, bunged sinuses/nose, mild headache). I W'dFH the rest of the week but Friday was rough - I had zero energy, put my emails on fwd to my boss and slept most of the day in the end. Was also incredibly tired yesterday.

Today I woke up at a decent hour and am feeling far more chipper. Still got the remnants of the cough although that's lessening all the time. I've not bothered testing again yet as it's not critical that I go anywhere, including back to the office. I'll wait until the symptoms go and then check. I know that legally I could've just carried on as normal, even knowing I was infected - and many people would - however it just seemed morally wrong to do so and as a result I've quarantined.

What's stupid is that without LFTs I'd have had to assume it was probably Covid - and without a test to report there'd be no way of tracking infections. In fact given that LFTs haven't been available through the Gov portal for some time it's likely even the current figures are under-reporting even now. Yet I'm sure the Gov't will point to the 'lower infection' figures and say their approach is working. We'll have to keep a close eye on the figures coming out of hospitals for severe infections and deaths. How many people will bother paying for LFTs going forward? Not many I'd wager.

Last time I checked the 'official' UK Covid stats around a week ago they showed infections were down by 3.1%. However, it also showed testing was down by 3.2% - funny that. Deaths? Up 25%. The Government might've decided they're done with Covid but it isn't done with us yet. All it'll take is a mutation that changes the spike protein and the vaccines are useless. The more it spreads, the more chance there is of that happening.

Edit: Just looked at today's stats:

P3kT5Xil.png

Positive tests are -12% yet deaths up 17% and hospitalisation up 11%. Testing down 8%. This makes it clear the hospitalisation/deaths stats will be the only ones worth monitoring now.

Like Trump said; "If we didn't do any testing, we would have very few cases."

advertisement

Back