advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Tori Amos at the Manchester Apollo love this venue how a concert hall should be with fantastic sound, oh and the music was great too

Dreamwife tore it up in Oxford last night with an uncharacteristically enthusiastic young audience. Oxford having a rep for crowds that are unexpressive, to say the least. Mandrake Handshake up next in a fortnight.

Went to a fabulous gig in a village hall Sat eve - Martin Stephenson (he of Daintees fame) charmed with some wonderful stories, great songs and amazing guitar playing. A tonic.

Samana in Manchester Gulivers, saw them supporting the smoke fairies and decided to see them on their own tour. A real find for me in 2022 with their new album just out. The venue was not quite what I expected but the music was spot, on if a little bit of a short set, they certainly couldn’t swing a cat on the stage it was so packed with gear, and the drummer played some sort of small tuba.

Manchester was the furthest north they came ( still a trek from Newcastle) catch them down south next.

Pictish Trail last night at The Boiler Room in Guildford.
We missed the first support act, Lucy Feliz; but the second support, Savage Mansions were pretty good; with the odd reminder of Wire in there.
Pictish Trail were fantastic, despite having to rejig the whole set, as they'd lost their keyboardist the day before the tour, and their bassist on the the first day of the tour - both off sick with covid. The bassist from Savage Mansions joined them for some of the set, with very minimal rehearsal, and knocked it out of the park.
A completely winning set. If they're playing round your way, I'd strongly recommend you catch them.

Just back from the Concert For Ukraine at the Cockpit Theatre in London. An emotional evening with incredible performances by some of my very favourite UK jazz musicians. Every indication that they've raised a good wad of cash!

The monthly jazz gigs at the cockpit were one of the few things I really missed when I moved to the country. Are they still running?

Midlake at the Roundhouse. Excellent if a little short (less than 90 minutes). Lots of songs from the latest album, as expected, but a good selection from previous ones as well.

Sat on a bench in Lewes listening to Samuel Ashton play. What a fabulous voice. He’s got some videos on YouTube, deserves to be heard more.

The Milk Carton Kids @ The Egg, Albany NY, Friday 8 April 2022 (in the small theatre, Bela Fleck was upstairs in the larger venue). Jaw-dropping musicianship and vocal harmonies. Postponed twice during the pandemic.

advertisement

Back