advertisement

Super glue…

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
…am looking for a decent super glue that is not “runny” - SWMBO bought a bed frame for the spare bedroom that had taken a mild knock, she liked and had a big discount. There is a diamond looking bauble thing that needs to be stuck to a brass type stem but my normal glue doesn’t hold it. Thoughts anyone, and thanks in advance.

…am looking for a decent super glue that is not “runny” - SWMBO bought a bed frame for the spare bedroom that had taken a mild knock, she liked and had a big discount. There is a diamond looking bauble thing that needs to be stuck to a brass type stem but my normal glue doesn’t hold it. Thoughts anyone, and thanks in advance.

Hard to say without seeing the repair needed but I would recommend a 2 part epoxy resin glue like araldite. It will set hard and has very good gap filling qualities. Superglue can be made to work with thicker versions and filler materials but probably not ideal.

picture?

My first thought is - what is your normal glue? Once we know what you've used unsuccessfully, we might have a clearer idea of what would be better to use.

As above, unless you need super quick clamp/drying time, or clamping is necessary and tricky, go for a 2 part epoxy.

Super glue (CA) can be brittle, makes repositioning tricky, and isn't likely to be as strong on the materials you mention.

My first thought is - what is your normal glue? Once we know what you've used unsuccessfully, we might have a clearer idea of what would be better to use.

Previous glue was Loctite. Araldite looks to be a good solution so picking some up in an hour.

Thanks for the excellent prompt replies!

Look for any of the superglue "gel" versions if the problem is the glue dripping / moving before you can join the two parts.

None of the superglues I have used are much good at gap filling as a warning.

A good squirt of activator on the non glued part helps to start curing quickly, or join the parts and squirt activator anywhere some glue is exposed as it is kind of catalytic. Loctite 7471 or similar.

All told to me by a Loctite rep many many years ago. Also keep superglue in the fridge.

HTH, Tony

Gorilla glue.
Amazing stuff.
Not superglue as such.
It’s held a brick wall together at the end of my drive and kept something in place inside my dishwasher for over a year.
I use the brown one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001W030CW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Gorilla is a brand name. The type of glue here is a PU or Polyurethane glue. Used a lot in woodworking as well, very very strong and expands a little so gap filling. Can stain your hands and is hard to clean up and offgasses isocyanates but nice and inerts after curing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The only problem with gorilla glue and epoxies is that they can be very runny until they set and risk oozing out of the joint (particularly gorilla glue since it expands as it sets).
If absolute bond strength is not critical rubber contact cement (the sort you apply to both surfaces and wait 15 mins for it to "dry" before bringing the two parts together) can be very handy. However there's no wiggle room - it's got to be placed exactly right the first time.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P03S8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gorilla glue fan here too. It does expand a bit when setting and needs dampened surfaces to work (it is water activated). But yikes that stuff is strong. I used some to repair a clay roof tile about 4 years ago - it is still there surviving the elements today.

Araldite is also super good and easier to use than super glues - even the gel forms of them. Two part Araldite is superb if you have a means to hold the pieces until it sets - the same for Gorilla come to that. Araldite rapid is very good. I used it to repair a cracked cast iron water pump casing (frost damage) in the factory many years ago. The pump carried on running under high pressure and factory knocks for many years afterward - so it works!

advertisement

Back