advertisement

Still enjoying my dream deck, the TD 124/II. Hoping I’ll keep it for a long time along with the SME M2-9R.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading the SPU #1S to the SPU Wood A but there’s been talk of QC problems. The SUT and Leben phono stage should work well with it if I do decide to get one though.

J0uTlqc.jpg

Still enjoying my dream deck, the TD 124/II. Hoping I’ll keep it for a long time along with the SME M2-9R.

I’ve been thinking of upgrading the SPU #1S to the SPU Wood A but there’s been talk of QC problems. The SUT and Leben phono stage should work well with it if I do decide to get one though.

J0uTlqc.jpg

A thing of beauty even though I haven't been into vinyl for some time.

No offense to anyone here but your photos are, as always, outstanding. More of the rest of your system and speakers please.

Thanks very much, I do try! Still the same for the last 6-months (which is pretty good for me).

Rega P7 / AT33PTGII / Ray Samuels Nighthawk F-117 Phono
Yamaha CD-NT670D
Bryston B60R
KEF Reference Three-Two

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

and there have I been damning with faint-praise the 124 and 3009 combo - looks absolutely beautiful in your pic.

It’s actually the M2-9R although I did originally have a 3009/S2 Imp on this deck. The M2-9R was made to have correct geometry for the SPU G pick-upheads and also retains the classic look of the 3009 but with improvements in all mechanical areas. Also has a steel arm tube which I’m not sure the 3009 did? My partner took the photo - much better than my efforts!

Very nice. Could you give your impressions on the Bryston/Kef Ref combination? Do they lack/excel in any particular areas? Thank you

I think its a great combination. I think if I had a much bigger room you would want something with a bit more power but for my room its perfectly fine. I keep coming back to this B60R (the second I've owned) after trying other amps, it just gets on with the job of making the noise louder. I really can't add much more than that!

Reactions: RoA
It’s actually the M2-9R although I did originally have a 3009/S2 Imp on this deck. The M2-9R was made to have correct geometry for the SPU G pick-upheads and also retains the classic look of the 3009 but with improvements in all mechanical areas. Also has a steel arm tube which I’m not sure the 3009 did? My partner took the photo - much better than my efforts!

ah, right - I thought that model of arm had a straight arm-tube only (or maybe I'm confusing it entirely with something else in their model line).

Granted for the initial purpose, but reverb timing is clearly measurable in a domestic room - the difference its made in this room has been very profound. The 8c's full spectrum from 250Hz to 20Hz is better balanced.
Even general chat/human voice in the room has been greatly improved, a balloon pop or clap test easily demonstrates this.
I’m another 8c’s user that is only using the built in DSP to make room correction below 200hz. I wouldn’t say the difference is “profound” in my room, but I have also found a little room damping or diffusion quite useful, but just on my side walls reflection points rather than behind the speakers that are about as close to the front wall as Cereal Killers. Mine are closer to the side walls though to give a wide sound stage at my listening position that is just a little beyond an equilateral triangle with my speakers.

One side wall is all plaster with a large metal radiator and the other all has glass double doors. Slap echo is fairly obvious with loud handclaps, but not audible with a little diffusion. When listening to music the central focus is improved as is image depth and instrument focus if the recording is good enough. Before the 8c’s my speakers were much further in the room. There were large corner bass traps and much more side wall damping.

advertisement

Back