advertisement

Thanks - its proper room treatment with acoustic panels, the black backing is 9/10mm hi density rigid felt. They come 2.4m or 3m tall x 600mm wide, I cut them in two, so what you're seeing is 1500 x 600 panels in the pic.

https://www.naturewall.co.uk/collections/slatwall
The panels look fabulous but to claim it's 'proper room treatment' is stretching it a bit! It will certainly provide some scattering and absorption, but given the felt backing isn't even a centimetre thick I strongly suspect the absorption will work only on the highest frequencies. It should help to break up slapback/flutter echo but don't expect it to provide temporal diffusion or a reduction in low frequency ringing. :)

How do those panels work with the rearward firing woofers of the Dutch 8c’s?

Curious as I’m planning those panel for a planned revamp of my AV back wall. looking at a dark charcoal color as I find a dark wall makes the TV less obvious when off (less of a black square on white wall effect), and makes watching more relaxed against a dark background. I’m also eyeing Buchardt A500 speakers that have a rear firing woofer, and maybe the Dutch 8c although they are currently beyond my budget.

They very surprising help with the midrange cardioid effect and the room ringing (RT60). This can be very simply qualified with the clap test (none STD variety) it's much more rounded and wholesum (flowery description), or technically, the highs are better controlled bringing accuracy and clarity to the mids. Bass also feels a little more 'combined' as the overall balance has shifted.

I only use REW/RC from 20 to 250Hz. The rest is the cardioid mid-range (unaffected by RC settings) but is controlled by the rear wall boundary settings / DSP coupling effect.

I'm very pleased with the results. They are very intelligent speakers :) Well worth the extra over the A-500's

Just like the "... you can always locate a subwoofer myth" I've always found ML's supposed integration problems to be complete BS (unless you are sitting on top of them) The only reason I dont own a pair of older Logans today is that the electrostatic elements wear out and are very expensive to replace. I have a knackered pair in storage as testament to this.

There are usually panels on eBay, mine would be about a £Grand each but hopefully they will not be required for a long time yet, only had the Logans for 4 years.

There’s something I love about the Rega RS10 I picked up early last year and the wife accepts them (quietly loving the way they sound and less keen on the way the ML dominate the room with their height) so my ML Aerius i are boxed and in the loft, they will come out again one day probably when we move in a few years and when a different room does them justice. They do have new panels for company as I bought some late in 2020 in case they stop making them and I think cost around £860 for the pair.

Can you describe your source please
I thought room correction not needed as you can used DSP?

RC is done via REW and DSP from 20Hz to 250Hz. Room treatment is for MF/HF reflection's as the room was slightly lively.

Regarding source, probably easiest to show you, its the box sitting in the middle which is my 4TB SSD rooncore.
The white circle on the table is the system remote; audio play functions and volume control for both roon and TV https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonuimo-best-roon-controller-ever/167564

I thought room correction not needed as you can used DSP?
By 'room correction' do you mean acoustic treatment? If so, then no, this is a common misunderstanding. DSP can be used to correct (to some extent) peaks and dips in the amplitude frequency response heard at the listening seat but it cannot correct long reverberation times caused by reflective surfaces.

RT60 was formulated for large performing spaces not really pertinent for domestic rooms.
Keith

Granted for the initial purpose, but reverb timing is clearly measurable in a domestic room - the difference its made in this room has been very profound. The 8c's full spectrum from 250Hz to 20Hz is better balanced.
Even general chat/human voice in the room has been greatly improved, a balloon pop or clap test easily demonstrates this.

Inspired by @Jono_13

Ania on P6 playing Monk's Dream
IMG-20220330-210411.jpg

advertisement

Back