advertisement

DIY Turntable

Looks like it is the phono stage that is a channel down, not sure if it is just coincidence or not. Can't see any obvious signs inside, will probably have to get someone to look at it, if it is even cost effective.

The Brinkmann collar is a bit pants for the diy'er. I've got heavy (Magna Audio) stand alone base if you want to try a pod in the future, it doesn't work with my idlers.

The Brinkmann collar is a bit pants for the diy'er. I've got heavy (Magna Audio) stand alone base if you want to try a pod in the future, it doesn't work with my idlers.

Nice one, will definitely bear that in mind. I will more than likely have have another go as I've come across a couple of issues now.

Instead of getting a totally new dustcover have you thought of just polishing it out. If you keep it cool when polishing with an electric polisher, it will recover a huge amount from scratches and can look almost new. Take a look on Youtube. A lot of people have posted very helpful videos. You may not have the time though.

Last edited:
Well it's taken me until now to get around to this, haven't spun any vinyl since Christmas!

Decided the Brinkmann would be better off on an actual TT instead of my DIY Heath Robinson affair so knocked up a temp arm board for the LP12 to see if it would fit/work, was fairly straight forward so when I get around to it I will cut the blank Linn board I have for it I think. Decided I'm going to use my DIY effort with the spare Hadcock for MM duties eventually, but needed to get this going first as it was the easier one to finish.

Used those brass threaded inserts on the board as I've never liked screwing into wood with those tiny little screws. All set up and running nice, lid even fits easily!

Had to do the same as on my earlier efforts and recess the underneath to allow nuts for the arm collar bolts, used the brass thingies seeing as I had a load.

Also fitted an Armageddon whilst it was in bits

It isn't, its mounted to the same subchassis as the arm, both of which are suspended on the same springs. It's an lp12.

How is the bearing mounted to the woodwork?

Sorry, I've muddied the waters here by bringing the LP12 into the thread.

If you mean my DIY effort then the bearing is attached using the same method as the Rega bearing, there is an external thread on the bearing well and it is fixed with a nut and washer.

If you mean my DIY effort then the bearing is attached using the same method as the Rega bearing, there is an external thread on the bearing well and it is fixed with a nut and washer.

I did mean that one, yes. So the vertical alignment of the bearing is entirely dependent on the alignment of the hole drilled for it. There's no adjustment if it turns out to be slightly off?

I did mean that one, yes. So the vertical alignment of the bearing is entirely dependent on the alignment of the hole drilled for it. There's no adjustment if it turns out to be slightly off?

Not really, only if you make the hole so tight that the bearing is forced to sit at whatever angle you drilled it at, there is a gnats knacker's worth of slack between the hole to bearing so the underside face/lip of the bearing well always seats flush to the top of the plinth. First thing I did was spin it up by hand and it was so true that it produced an optical illusion of appearing to be completely static.

Not really, only if you make the hole so tight that the bearing is forced to sit at whatever angle you drilled it at, there is a gnats knacker's worth of slack between the hole to bearing so the underside face/lip of the bearing well always seats flush to the top of the plinth. First thing I did was spin it up by hand and it was so true that it produced an optical illusion of appearing to be completely static.

Yes, I rethought it while falling asleep last night, and concluded if the lower lip of the upper section, which sits on the top surface, and the nut below make a perfect parallel between their mating surfaces, and all else in the bearing is machined correctly, it will work out, and those two surfaces mating to the plinth will straighten it up.

advertisement

Back