advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Awesomeness in tiny boxes but you simply cannot move enough air with drivers as small as the B110.

They are superb as close monitors and as background speakers for people doing voiceovers they are perfect as they convey everything....except volume.

Love them or hate them they do sound fantastic but you have to remember these gems (LS3/5A) were not designed as hi-fi speakers in the first place.

I love them but I personally like a bit more 'substance' when I'm in the mood for dancin'.

Awesomeness in tiny boxes but you simply cannot move enough air with drivers as small as the B110.

They are superb as close monitors and as background speakers for people doing voiceovers they are perfect as they convey everything....except volume.

Love them or hate them they do sound fantastic but you have to remember these gems (LS3/5A) were not designed as hi-fi speakers in the first place.

I love them but I personally like a bit more 'substance' when I'm in the mood for dancin'.

My Falcons play as loud as I need in a smallish room. I’ve never found myself needing higher volume, it’s a living room not a club, after all.

I wonder how the Chinese SoundArtist LS3/5A copies sound, compared to the current UK crop?

Tacky grilles aside, they do look the part:

I own a pair of these, bought them out of curiosity, to compare to my Spendor LS3/5A’s. They definitely sound like LS3/5A’s, no matter how much it’s protested in other forums. They have better bottom and top end (cleaner) than my Spendors. Work great with Quicksilver Mini Mites (in 6L6’s pseudo-triode).

Any updates on a new date for the shootout?
I have [yet] another pair of speakers to bring along, just bought the 11ohm Spendor LS3/5As off @foxwelljsly. My first taste of "real" LS3/5As in my own home.
Having owned what some might call the pinnacle of LS3/5A type speakers, Harbeth P3ESRs & Stirling V3s, I was stealing myself to be disappointed. Needn't have worried, they sound superb, every bit as good as I had been led to believe they would, definitely keepers.
I do seem to have lucked out with the new flat I bought late last year, both the Stirlings & these Spendors are outputting unfeasibly low bass frequencies in this room with absolutely no sign of boominess with the speakers just 300mm from the front wall & with no apparent negative affects on the soundstage depth.
TS

I have [yet] another pair of speakers to bring along, just bought the 11ohm Spendor LS3/5As off @foxwelljsly. My first taste of "real" LS3/5As in my own home.
Having owned what some might call the pinnacle of LS3/5A type speakers, Harbeth P3ESRs & Stirling V3s, I was stealing myself to be disappointed. Needn't have worried, they sound superb, every bit as good as I had been led to believe they would, definitely keepers.
I do seem to have lucked out with the new flat I bought late last year, both the Stirlings & these Spendors are outputting unfeasibly low bass frequencies in this room with absolutely no sign of boominess with the speakers just 300mm from the front wall & with no apparent negative affects on the soundstage depth.
TS

I was tempted by those Spendors, Tony.
Pleased to hear you have acquired them.
As I have the Stirling V3s and the ex. BBC Radio Leicester ‘3/5as I though another
pair couldn’t really be justified...

TS
I’m really pleased to hear they’re sounding good. Try as I might, I simply had nowhere suitable for them to shine.

Hi all, sorry for the radio silence on this.
Since I last started to sort a new date my partner and I have split and so I'm massively preoccupied elsewhere as you might imagine.
I'm not able to move this forward at least for the short term.
If anyone is keen to pick up the batton I can give you the details of Paul who has the link to the venue. He's a great guy and very helpful.
Again, sorry for the pause on my part. Once everything is a bit more steady I may be able to pick it back up.
Thanks

My searching came up with the original thread, so anyone reading the new one please come on here.
( I was unsure if old threads were deleted )

I’ll ask Tony L. to delete ‘An LS3/5A Shootout-Second Attempt’

Thanks.

advertisement

Back