advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Definitely working: I've just ordered the white version.

Damn pricey p&p...
Same here

Hopefully well packed for £6!

Only 24 remaining for those interested as of Friday 4pm UK time

Black vinyl has '£9.60 shipping and tax for United Kingdom' - though I guess at just under £30 in total it's not massively more expensive than normal these days.

I've missed the limited white vinyl so I'm going to hold off and see how much the LP and CD are when they land in the shops.

For anyone who missed the Bandcamp/Brownswood numbered 500 white Kokoroko there is a Rough Trade 1500 transparent edition with free CD (looks like their previous 12” EP based on the cover art) up for preorder. They are doing an in-store signing there on the 8th April too.

So many issues of stuff today, there’s a blue ‘indies only’ one too! FWIW my approach, where there is choice, tends to be signed > numbered > anything else limited > standard.

I really like that Mary Halverson track - didn't realise she'd signed to a bigger label. It certainly seems to be reflected in the more polished SQ from the sample.

Produced by John Dieterich of Deerhoof!

Subscribers to Jazziz magazine get 8 free cds or digital albums per year. The fun is that the magazine features great photos of the artists and info.

I played their whole recent double-LP at 33, all four sides, and thoroughly enjoyed it, before realising it was a 45…

PS One should always be as John Peel as possible in these things.
True story: a promo copy of Robert Miles’ Children was received by an A&R at Universal Germany, who liked it so much he immediately licensed it for his territory. Only when the DAT masters arrived did he realise he’d been listening to it at 33 instead of 45. No matter, it was a very big hit anyway.

Used to listen to GP's show on Kiss fm in the early 90s. Remember hearing one of my fave jazz standards there for the first time, some fusion version of 'Night in Tunisia', though I like the Dexter Gordon version these days. He ran a club with the founder of Mo Wax about the same time, it was equal parts Hip hop and jazz, and much else in between, with a strong lean towards 70s soundtracks.

All great stuff. I don't know Aldana and don't have any of the albums but very interesting playing. I've always liked Ross's music whenever I've heard it and Halvorson sounds really different on this track. There's some great jazz coming out from the younger musicians in America.

Some interesting new stuff (imo) coming out soon from Melissa Aldana, Joel Ross and Mary Halvorson :-

UK jazz on the telly tonight. Not sure if this is a new doc or a repeat - will tune in either way.

Tina takes us on a musical journey where each city has its own unique sound and vibe, from the spiritual jazz of Matthew Halsall in Manchester to the electronic, emotional collaborations of Bristol’s Ishmael Ensemble, to the raw, impassioned, rave-inducing sounds from London’s Sons of Kemet. The documentary showcases live performances and interviews from some of the scene’s key artistes, including Emma-Jean Thackray, Steam Down, and Alabaster dePlume. It’s a fusion of eclectic influences and cultures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001770s

UK jazz on the telly tonight. Not sure if this is a new doc or a repeat - will tune in either way.

Tina takes us on a musical journey where each city has its own unique sound and vibe, from the spiritual jazz of Matthew Halsall in Manchester to the electronic, emotional collaborations of Bristol’s Ishmael Ensemble, to the raw, impassioned, rave-inducing sounds from London’s Sons of Kemet. The documentary showcases live performances and interviews from some of the scene’s key artistes, including Emma-Jean Thackray, Steam Down, and Alabaster dePlume. It’s a fusion of eclectic influences and cultures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001770s
Looks interesting - have set the record button :). Thanks for pointing it out Paul

advertisement

Back