advertisement

Whisky II

Will do. I loved the Arran Amarone finish, sadly unavailable now, and am hoping the Bodega offers something similarly memorable. I'm not a huge fan of sherry finishes, I find them a little sweet, but I'm prepared to risk it, because Arran.

The wee tremor of excitement as the last bottle of Glenallachie cask strength batch 7 fell into my virtual basket quickly turned to horror at the realisation that it'd sold out during the payment process. Anyone want to 'fess up?
Iirc there were 39k of the batch 6 and it was restocked at least once so you'll probably get another chance... fingers crossed.

Currently I'm finding better value in the rum world.

Aha, is there a rum thread already?

I'm pretty clueless on rum to be honest. Have tasted the odd one that was very pleasant but not known the brand or type.
I was gifted a Bacardi Carta Negra which is, frankly, rather poor. Not sure how I'm going to make it disappear without arousing suspicion of the benefactor.

Anyway, what is inexpensive but worthy of sipping-rum status or at worst on the rocks?

Aha, is there a rum thread already?

I'm pretty clueless on rum to be honest. Have tasted the odd one that was very pleasant but not known the brand or type.
I was gifted a Bacardi Carta Negra which is, frankly, rather poor. Not sure how I'm going to make it disappear without arousing suspicion of the benefactor.

Anyway, what is inexpensive but worthy of sipping-rum status or at worst on the rocks?
Relatively new to rum but have discovered a few favourites so far. Price-wise, £35-£50 in the UK can get a good sipping rum. El Dorado (from Guyana) 12yo and, worth a few extra, the 15yo. Both are quite sweet but recent bottles have had far less sugar added than earlier versions.
RL Seale 10yo from Barbados, Foursquare distillery is lovely stuff. Good strength and natural presentation. Also from Foursquare, Doorly's 12yo. Again, all natural, less sweet, and complex, so should appeal to a Scotch drinker. Not tried, but the XO is meant to be good (and cheaper).

Personally, like whisky, I'd avoid low strength bottles or fancy packaging. Also note that many rums can be excessively sweet (additional sugar added), the age statement can relate to the oldest rum in the blend (unlike Scotch), although not in the case of the aforementioned rums, which is the youngest, and the hotter climate matures the spirit far quicker than Scotch.

(And yes, there's a rum thread on here somewhere)

I had a bottle of that and found it to be decent in rum old fashioned's and other cocktails.

I'm no expert but have enjoyed the likes of the Kirk and Sweeney 12 year old, Ron Zacapa 23 and Diplimatico.

Just Whisky auction house has said it would not take Springbank 10 bottles that are being released by the distillery for the Ukrainian relief effort, hopefully a few more of them follow suit.

Just Whisky auction house has said it would not take Springbank 10 bottles that are being released by the distillery for the Ukrainian relief effort, hopefully a few more of them follow suit.
Fair play and, as you say, hopefully the other houses will follow suit.
And well done to Springbank...but...
they will be selling these at just above normal RRP!
Come on. They could triple the price and still sell out, or alternatively send them to a charity auction.
The normal 10 is sold out; the new Loch blend...sold out
Do they have a marketing department? Or Finance? I get they are a model business and that is partly why they are lauded by enthusiasts but...
It's not just me - their Instagram account was swamped by appeals to put the price up when they posted the announcement.

Last edited:
Just opened this...

Ardbeg-Scorch-Committee-Release-Whisky.jpg

advertisement

Back