advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I am still trying to figure out vol 1 of Sun Ra at la Fondation Maeght where he plays a solo Moog synthesizer for both sides of the record!

I love that piece, the reissue by Recommended being one of the first Ra records I was introduced to in the late 70s, alongside the essential Heliocentric ESP titles. Other side long Moog solos appear on Nidhamu and My Brother the Wind.

This interesting documentary, Dark Matter - A History of the Afrofuture, is still available on BBC iplayer. Interesting subject featuring Sun Ra and many other artists involved in Afrofuturism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wfcj

I love that piece, the reissue by Recommended being one of the first Ra records I was introduced to in the late 70s, alongside the essential Heliocentric ESP titles. Other side long Moog solos appear on Nidhamu and My Brother the Wind.

This interesting documentary, Dark Matter - A History of the Afrofuture, is still available on BBC iplayer. Interesting subject featuring Sun Ra and many other artists involved in Afrofuturism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wfcj
I missed Dark Matter first time round so thank you for the link - very interesting and great to see Shabaka Hutchings along with the clips of Sun Ra. Will now be checking out Drexciya

I have been listening to a few Mathew Shipp recordings lately and have now ordered limited vinyl copies of two released late last year that I particularly liked.
One is a solo piano work ‘Codebreaker’ and the other is ‘Village Mothership’ a trio recording with William Parker and Whit Dickey. Mine should be arriving today. Both are available from Tao Forms on Bandcamp that has the usual track samples you can check out.

https://taoforms.bandcamp.com/album/codebreaker

https://taoforms.bandcamp.com/album/village-mothership

They are also available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Tao+Forms+Records&crid=21UKOH9ABUPL&sprefix=tao+forms+records,aps,141&ref=nb_sb_noss

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Reactions: kjb
I am not sure how Tao Forms differs from AUM Fidelity but I've enjoyed William Parker's and Shipp's albums from AUM. I also like Shipp's albums on Thirsty Ear. But those are old jazz, not new. ;)

I am not sure how Tao Forms differs from AUM Fidelity but I've enjoyed William Parker's and Shipp's albums from AUM. I also like Shipp's albums on Thirsty Ear. But those are old jazz, not new. ;)
While I am not that familiar with Shipp’s back catalogue I know he has been actively recording from the early 90’s and has played in trio’s with Parker and Dickey nearly as far back as that and his solo piano recordings go back someday as well. I must try to get a listen to some of that.

Then I am not really sure how we are defining ‘New Jazz’ in this thread? Does it just mean new recordings or very recent and not reissues even by established artists? Does it mean recordings by ‘new’ or relatively unknown artists or does it just meaning work moving Jazz forward into new directions? Very, very little of the latter about and that would eliminate most posts. :rolleyes: I think I am in agreement with your earlier post here for most of it if that is the intended criteria for most posts: “this is not 'new' jazz, just old jazz. But it might as well be, given what a lot of hyped new jazz is today :p. < quickly hides under chair>” ;)

I've got a couple of CDs by Shipp from 2003/4 on Thirsty Ear- Harmony and Abyss and Equilibrium, both with William Parker and Gerald cleaver- I think they were my introduction to Parker. Both records have a lot of electronics in with the piano trio. TBH it's a while since I played them: I'll sling them in the car for tomorrow's commute and will check out the links to the more recent stuff.

FWIW I think "new jazz" is both recently released and 21st century stuff people may now have come across. I cant quite get my head round the fact we're approaching a 1/4 of the way through the century : ((

My vinyl copies have just arrived and it seems Tao Forms is a just a new sub division of AUM. These are numbered TAO 06 & 07.

Gilles Peterson just has the finest taste in music. I'd be happy to rely upon his choices.

I like his ‘80s-influenced retro-club-funk project Str4ta (Bandcamp) too, really great funky stuff with some superb bass & synth playing. I was fast enough off the mark to get the white-label vinyl with stickers and it’s been in steady rotation for a long while now.

I’m really liking the new Hania Rani Live From Studio 2 album. Not sure if it’s jazz, probably more in the minimalist classical arena. It’s on Gondwana so I’ll stick it here. Interesting to note that vinyl is the only physical format, no CD. I assume this may become the new normal which is hugely disappointing IMO. I like having CD as an option. I bought the clear vinyl and it is really good.

I’m really liking the new Hania Rani Live From Studio 2 album. Not sure if it’s jazz, probably more in the minimalist classical arena. It’s on Gondwana so I’ll stick it here. Interesting to note that vinyl is the only physical format, no CD. I assume this may become the new normal which is hugely disappointing IMO. I like having CD as an option. I bought the clear vinyl and it is really good.

Lovely album. Tough to pin a genre on it. Neoclassical? Scandi/Euro Jazz? Google says she is Dance/Electronic. Whatever it is, I like it. Thanks for suggesting!

Binker and Moses - Feed The Machine

The whole thing is on YoyTube to dip into. Its a great mix of acoustic jazz and electronics. At one points ( around 46 mins) I had to check whether Evan Parker was guesting again but I think it's the way the loops are shaped against the live playing

New and much anticipated (by me at least) Kokoroko album up for pre-order (Bandcamp). I’ve inevitably gone for the limited white vinyl issue, hopefully its a double as it looks quite long…

New and much anticipated (by me at least) Kokoroko album up for pre-order (Bandcamp). I’ve inevitably gone for the limited white vinyl issue, hopefully its a double as it looks quite long…

Clicking your link and I can't find an album on their Bandcamp site, just the singles. Have you got a direct link to the forthcoming LP please?

Clicking your link and I can't find an album on their Bandcamp site, just the singles. Have you got a direct link to the forthcoming LP please?

That is very odd. Looks like they’ve pulled it! I got my order in ok so I’ll update later if I hear anything. It was announced via email earlier both via Kokoroko themselves and Brownswood. Standard black vinyl, 500 numbered limited white vinyl, CD and download. All tracks (around 15, though some only a few seconds) were up, I had a listen to a couple, very good.

That is very odd. Looks like they’ve pulled it! I got my order in ok so I’ll update later if I hear anything. It was announced via email earlier both via Kokoroko themselves and Brownswood. Standard black vinyl, 500 numbered limited white vinyl, CD and download. All tracks (around 15, though some only a few seconds) were up, I had a listen to a couple, very good.

I saw it too - for August shipping.

Definitely working: I've just ordered the white version.

Damn pricey p&p...

advertisement

Back