advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Max does not like Netflix.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60764810

Only because they had the ability to immortalise his freebie..best to distance from the truth etc

Netflix, as annoying as it is, is a huge part of the future of F1 with its ageing fanbase dying off, it needs fresh blood to ensure its longevity especially in the face of climate change and increasing social inequality.

Netflix, as annoying as it is, is a huge part of the future of F1 with its ageing fanbase dying off, it needs fresh blood to ensure its longevity especially in the face of climate change and increasing social inequality.

Yep, people who aren’t interested in racing, engineering etc, just personality and a screen full of data.

As with air shows and rallying, I’m just glad I saw some of the best of it.

Yep, people who aren’t interested in racing, engineering etc, just personality and a screen full of data.

Pretty much, i still think racing is at the forefront but its the world we have allowed the internet and media companies to create.

The internet, much like plastic, one of the greatest and worst inventions of humankind.

I havent been to an air show in years have they been ubered too?

Watching Netflix's Drive to Survive, covering the 2021 season, at the moment, and episode 3 or 4 looks at the Haas team, and their two rookie drivers, Schumacher and Mazepin. I hadn't paid that much attention to their title sponsor last year, and when the doc footage showed that Mazepin was the son of a Russian oligarch who made his fortune in fertiliser, and that his father was the title sponsor, my heart sank, and I thought "Oh, my ...this isn't going to go well for Haas this year". A quick google search, and

"“Haas F1 Team has elected to terminate, with immediate efffect, the title partnership of Uralkali and the driver contract of Nikita Mazepin. As with the rest of the Formula 1 community, the team is shocked and saddened by the invasion of Ukraine and wishes for a swift and peaceful end to the conflict.”"

I know it pales in comparison to the suffering in Ukraine, but I really feel sorry for the Haas guys who've put the work into this, only to be knocked down by this...

Watching Netflix's Drive to Survive, covering the 2021 season, at the moment, and episode 3 or 4 looks at the Haas team, and their two rookie drivers, Schumacher and Mazepin. I hadn't paid that much attention to their title sponsor last year, and when the doc footage showed that Mazepin was the son of a Russian oligarch who made his fortune in fertiliser, and that his father was the title sponsor, my heart sank, and I thought "Oh, my ...this isn't going to go well for Haas this year". A quick google search, and

"“Haas F1 Team has elected to terminate, with immediate efffect, the title partnership of Uralkali and the driver contract of Nikita Mazepin. As with the rest of the Formula 1 community, the team is shocked and saddened by the invasion of Ukraine and wishes for a swift and peaceful end to the conflict.”"

I know it pales in comparison to the suffering in Ukraine, but I really feel sorry for the Haas guys who've put the work into this, only to be knocked down by this...

I think from watching the episodes on Haas in the recent Drive to Survive, they will most definitely be happy his is gone and they get to work with a professional sportsman who's daddy isn't going to pull the financial plug because his son says Schumacher's car is 'better' and stuff :)

Thing is Tony as much as I would like to agree with you the sport simply will dwindle away to nothing if younger people don't embrace it. If Netflix and personality driven media is what does it then I'd rather that than nothing. Cricket was nearly dead in this country until the 20 overs game and now The Hundred arrived. Yes, to the purist it's not proper cricket, but it is making the game popular again. F1 needs to stay popular and changing demographics will see different aspects of it attracting them. It's just the way it is.

Thing is Tony as much as I would like to agree with you the sport simply will dwindle away to nothing if younger people don't embrace it. If Netflix and personality driven media is what does it then I'd rather that than nothing. Cricket was nearly dead in this country until the 20 overs game and now The Hundred arrived. Yes, to the purist it's not proper cricket, but it is making the game popular again. F1 needs to stay popular and changing demographics will see different aspects of it attracting them. It's just the way it is.

Not selling your TV coverage to a pay only channel and making it easier for a large audience to watch would go along way to getting F1 more widely followed. They keep trying to get rid of the highlights on C4 but have realised that this is often the only way they can introduce F1 to a wider audience who are not really dedicated to the sport and prepared to pay accordingly .

I think from watching the episodes on Haas in the recent Drive to Survive, they will most definitely be happy his is gone and they get to work with a professional sportsman who's daddy isn't going to pull the financial plug because his son says Schumacher's car is 'better' and stuff :)

Yes, Junior did seem to be a bit of a prima donna ...

Oh I know that, but in the end there’s no reason for such sports to exist in my world. Gradually equalising any sort of differences, and gradually introducing artificial interest…. Naaa. I’ll go and watch lawnmower racing.

Not selling your TV coverage to a pay only channel and making it easier for a large audience to watch would go along way to getting F1 more widely followed. They keep trying to get rid of the highlights on C4 but have realised that this is often the only way they can introduce F1 to a wider audience who are not really dedicated to the sport and prepared to pay accordingly .

It's no different to the football Premier League model which if you look at in purely business terms has worked well... sadly.

Oh I know that, but in the end there’s no reason for such sports to exist in my world. Gradually equalising any sort of differences, and gradually introducing artificial interest…. Naaa. I’ll go and watch lawnmower racing.

Yeah, fair comment. The rules being wound down to only allow a very narrow interpretability is one of my biggest bugbears. Like you I suspect, I remember fan cars, 6 wheelers, skirts for enhanced ground effect, 5 different engine cylinder numbers on the grid etc.

I wouldn't take the Netflix series as being 100% factually accurate though... there's some very clever editing going on there.

I tried watching Netflix's Drive to Survive - but I couldn't stand the style, I'll stick to watching the qualifying and races...

Drive to Survive is also not for me. Particularly as F1 is actually one of those sports where is usually, last year notwithstanding, more entertaining following the teams through the season than when the actual sport happens so not sure this needs any "enhancement". Also I am fairly convinced that most elite racing drivers are basically jerks because it's kind of what it takes to succeed in that world so I would rather not get to know them any better or half to watch their deranged egos and malformed personalities (Lord Sir Alex of Hamilton aside).

I wouldn't take the Netflix series as being 100% factually accurate though... there's some very clever editing going on there.

It's not factually correct. The editors use "creative license" to add drama, suspense, rivalry, arguments, fallouts etc. The episodes and series are largely based on real events; but it is also a work of drama and storytelling, rather than a definitive documentary.

I've watched Series 1 and 2, but I think I'll stop there. I can understand why Max refused to cooperate and I agree with him on that!

But NART were not the factory Ferrari team. The days of privateers running customer cars are long gone. As I recall the Belgians ran yellow Ferraris in sports car racing series too.

john_surtees__mexico_1964__by_f1_history_d6ey7fr-fullview.jpg
John Surtees clinched the F1 title driving a works car painted in those colours with the formality of entrant adjusted for political reasons. Seems close enough. Get Toto angry enough and cue the matt Mercedes.

It's not factually correct. The editors use "creative license" to add drama, suspense, rivalry, arguments, fallouts etc. The episodes and series are largely based on real events; but it is also a work of drama and storytelling, rather than a definitive documentary.

I've watched Series 1 and 2, but I think I'll stop there. I can understand why Max refused to cooperate and I agree with him on that!
Not sure why you quoted me as I said it wasn’t factually correct but anyway I actually quite enjoy it and it has got my partner’s 15 yo daughter into F1 so that’s a good thing in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back