advertisement

Reintroduced the Musical Fidelity P170 power amplifier in the kit (bottom shelf) and can’t decide between it and the NAP 110 which one will stay..............
Could you please say a few words about each power amplifier, especially comparing their sound quality? Thanks

Didn't think you had an LP12 Angus. When did that arrive?
I was looking to buy one so John from next door offered to lend me his while away on hols, it’s just had the Karousel bearing fitted by Robbie. Never owned one before, a Linn/Naim dealer pissed me off when I went to trade my RD80/Rogers for an LP12/Nait1 so I've never looked at Linn in 40 years, until curiosity peaked in lockdown and I bought an old Wakonda Pre/LK Power.

Not a bad set up....... But I'm deducting points because you should have an idler drive turntable too. On the other hand I do love Martin Logans..... so lets say 8/10. :)
I have more TTs ;)

The Logans are right up my street, I’m not hearing any of their supposed integration weaknesses or at least it’s not bothering me and the Anthem ARC EQ works very well to sort out the Bass issues in the room.

I bought a lovely SME 3012 a few weeks ago to use with my SP10 which had been lurking unused under the bed for the last year.

I thought the 3012 would fit fine on my plinth which had no armboard but had a cut-out for my SME V-12. Unfortunately it wouldn’t align due to the incorrect pivot to spindle distance for the 3012 and the limited back and forth movement thanks to the modified base on the 3012.

A big shout out to Lee Drage at Acoustand Audio who came to my rescue. I don’t particularly like the plinth and didn’t want to spend too much making it fit the 3012. Lee fitted a gorgeous armboard and resprayed the plinth as it was looking tatty. As you can see, he did a lovely job and for a very reasonable price. I couldn’t be happier with it.

Thanks also to Johnny at Audio Origami who rewired the arm for me after a clumsy moment.

It’s been an adventure but I finally got it up and running today. Very pleased. It’s sounding good.

DqdmXi8.jpg

XHRPAIC.jpg

Could you please say a few words about each power amplifier, especially comparing their sound quality? Thanks
Well, that’s what these forums are for so :

Naim NAP 110 :

Very lively, a ton of dynamic despite its diminutive size. To me, it just sounds as if the drumheads were tightened to the maximum giving them a maximum of resonance. Very deep and well controlled bass guitar although not perfectly tuneful and accurate. Cymbals are sometimes just a bit harsh when played hard, specifically on crash cymbals but not so much on hi hats. Piano sounds fantastic, you can really "feel" the little hammer hitting the string and lower notes are impactful. To me, Naim is unique on this.

Musical Fidelity P170 :

Right from the first notes, softer on the ears and a bit more relax while keeping all the PRaT Naim is known for. Snare drum snaps and punches as much as the 110. Treble is without any harshness compared to the Naim while being as detailed. Deep bass is all over the place with this power house monster but seems to be just a bit more flabby than the Naim. It’s helpful for poor recordings or the ones on the dryer side but can become a bit too much with modern recordings with emphasis on lower notes from keyboards or large size bass drums. Human voices are definitely sweeter than the 110. In general more tone accuracy but just a little less of this live effect the little Naim brings to the table.

A friend of mine brought his Bryston 4B SST to give it a ride and the result was very pleasant but rather quiet and without any snap so we unplugged it after 5 songs.

So my love and hate relationship with my NAP 110 is still going on !

If you think a P170 compares to a NAP110, rhythmically, you don’t understand rhythm, or there is something seriously wrong with the 110.

If you think a P170 compares to a NAP110, rhythmically, you don’t understand rhythm, or there is something seriously wrong with the 110.
I think your comment is bang on, the Naim seams to have more rythme so I may have misused the expression PRaT and should have said they have similar punch and energy instead.
You see, that’s why I can’t get rid of my 110 ! It has something unique I can’t find in any other amps.

I have more TTs ;)

The Logans are right up my street, I’m not hearing any of their supposed integration weaknesses or at least it’s not bothering me and the Anthem ARC EQ works very well to sort out the Bass issues in the room.
Just like the "... you can always locate a subwoofer myth" I've always found ML's supposed integration problems to be complete BS (unless you are sitting on top of them) The only reason I dont own a pair of older Logans today is that the electrostatic elements wear out and are very expensive to replace. I have a knackered pair in storage as testament to this.

Just like the "... you can always locate a subwoofer myth" I've always found ML's supposed integration problems to be complete BS (unless you are sitting on top of them) The only reason I dont own a pair of older Logans today is that the electrostatic elements wear out and are very expensive to replace. I have a knackered pair in storage and testament to this.
There are usually panels on eBay, mine would be about a £Grand each but hopefully they will not be required for a long time yet, only had the Logans for 4 years.

ICG_7070.jpg
I can understand the P170 vs NAP110 dilemma. I still imagine how my long departed Naim kit would have sounded on recordings that I play.
My decision would be for the P170. I used to work for a dealer of both, back in the day.
My attitude to Naim would be that if it makes your music enjoyable, then fine. But I found that the enhanced rhythmic character to be a bit false, obtained by stripping out ambient details and with it, timbre of voices and instruments.
I made my decision when I started finding it difficult to distinguish voices and violinists and sold the Naim.
I haven't found anything since to be unrythmical at all. And I do know what rhythm is. Trying playing the Rite of Spring in an orchestra without knowing.
Don't sell the 170!

I have more TTs ;)

Are you listening to them firing straight down rather than toed in?

I bought a lovely SME 3012 a few weeks ago to use with my SP10 which had been lurking unused under the bed for the last year.

I thought the 3012 would fit fine on my plinth which had no armboard but had a cut-out for my SME V-12. Unfortunately it wouldn’t align due to the incorrect pivot to spindle distance for the 3012 and the limited back and forth movement thanks to the modified base on the 3012.

A big shout out to Lee Drage at Acoustand Audio who came to my rescue. I don’t particularly like the plinth and didn’t want to spend too much making it fit the 3012. Lee fitted a gorgeous armboard and resprayed the plinth as it was looking tatty. As you can see, he did a lovely job and for a very reasonable price. I couldn’t be happier with it.

Thanks also to Johnny at Audio Origami who rewired the arm for me after a clumsy moment.

It’s been an adventure but I finally got it up and running today. Very pleased. It’s sounding good.

DqdmXi8.jpg

XHRPAIC.jpg

Wow, that’s fantastic. Congrats! What were you using before? How would you rate it?

Wow, that’s fantastic. Congrats! What were you using before? How would you rate it?

Thank you. The SP10 / SME 3012 series II / Kiseki Purpleheart is my spare deck. I have to say I rate it highly. I've been listening to it all night and I can't fault it. I'm really very pleased with it. Next year I hope to be able to afford an Ortofon SPU to put on the 3012. The SP10, 3012, SPU is a classic combo.

What were you using before?

My main deck is a Sony TTS-8000 / SME V-12 / Phasemation PP-500 in a plinth made by Acoustand Audio.

v5WWitp.jpg

What a damn beauty. Would love a deck like this -- a record player that does it all.

Are you listening to them firing straight down rather than toed in?
When the dealer did the initial room measurements and installed them they had them toed in about 5 degrees. Since then the system has changed umpteen times and I’ve added the Townsend bases, now I have them firing straight ahead, it gives me the presentation I prefer. The layout and room aren’t ideal however it actully measures pretty well, life got in the way of our house plans, overall I’m very happy with the sound I’m getting, defo my favourite and the best speakers I’ve had in 40 years.

Thank you. The SP10 / SME 3012 series II / Kiseki Purpleheart is my spare deck. I have to say I rate it highly. I've been listening to it all night and I can't fault it. I'm really very pleased with it. Next year I hope to be able to afford an Ortofon SPU to put on the 3012. The SP10, 3012, SPU is a classic combo.

My main deck is a Sony TTS-8000 / SME V-12 / Phasemation PP-500 in a plinth made by Acoustand Audio.

v5WWitp.jpg
Paul that plinth is stunning, it visually complements the design of the Lockwoods very nicely. How are you finding the sound of older SME arm vs the V?

advertisement

Back