advertisement

Stylus Brushes

I have used stylus cleaning fluid in the past,
but I no longer use it since I had my shelter 901 repaired due to damaged suspension and some slight corrosion on the cartridge yolk.
It was suggested that cleaning fluid may have been responsible.

Here's mine:

Lovely thing.

David Gammon was a brilliant engineer and certainly had class; likely why Margaret looked ready to shag him in this photo...

B27-AFC8-A-F6-CF-4-A97-86-FE-1-E316676-DB3-C.jpg

Last edited:
It is effectively what you do every time you play a record! The AT is very high frequency, I’ve not taken a guitar tuner to it (I’ll do so later out of curiosity!), but I’d guess somewhere around 800 Hz to 1kHz, and it is very subtle/gentle. It certainly places no more stress on the tip or generator than tracking a record.

Isn't the main difference that in a groove the force hits the stylus in a single direction with the natural flex of the cantilever? I think of vibration as a rapid backwards and forwards motion so the force on the stylus will equally be backwards against the cantilever. Maybe it's the way my mind (incorrectly) works that causes the wince.

10 year old wireless smoke alarms are due for replacement. Here in the USA you can get units that will take Lithium batteries or units that have no replaceable battery but are supposed to get 10 years out of the included proprietary battery (disposal once they go end of life). Another nice feature is wireless interconnect -if one is tripped -All will trip and will indicate verbally which location has going into alarm. I have never heard the Transcriptors arm -always been curious about it? Anybody with first hand experience ?

Gently placing a finger tip atop the vibrating pad of AT637 reveals that it oscillates up/down. The amount of travel is almost imperceptible.

I am fortunate to still have a AT637 which has served me well for many years. Now used dry
due to reason in my previous post.

I always wet cleaned a tip before microscopic examination during my audio service career - only if the customer returned with issues after a examination showed the tip was OK would I first look at the tip prior to cleaning. Oftentimes the notorious balls-o-crud would be obvious. Sometimes we could figure out what they were doing to their records to do this to the stylus tips -but it was not uncommon to have particular individual new records just do this/for no known reason ? But you can watch liquids crawl up a cantilever -so less is more is probably a good idea.

Yes, but annoyingly the ones I have just don’t seem to work with anything other than a very full alkaline battery. To be honest they bang through batteries so fast I don’t think there is a prospect of them leaking, plus 9V alkaline batteries are effectively double-sealed anyway (there are six individual 1.5V cells sealed in the plastic rectangular case). They start screeching very annoyingly for a new battery every six months to a year! It is amusing just how out of sync they are now despite all four being installed at the same time about 10 years ago.

FWIW I’ve never had a 9V battery leak, though I did replace the ones in my £300 Fluke multimeter and collection of sound-meters with lithium just to be sure. No way I want to be flushing corrosive battery gunk out of really nice kit!

Exactly, mine also take the 9v battery and as you I've never had them leak. I change them annually (they start 'bleeping' after about 20 months if left) with a reminder in the calendar to do so!

Indeed.

In other news: people who sell cartridges/styli want them to wear out quicker…

PS You can actually still buy it, I just googled ‘Linn green stuff’!
If its good enough for peter swain its good enough for me I've used it for years and its lapping paper ffs not sandpaper, id be much more wary of using a vibrating pad and fluid on my dynavector than the green stuff .

I’ve nothing whatsoever against Peter Swain even though I’ve never needed anyone to set a Linn up for me, but just look and think about this for yourself. First identify exactly where the playing surface of the stylus is and how it contacts the groove wall. Now ask yourself how rubbing a bit of abrasive paper flat across the very bottom of the tip helps! 100% marketing bullshit, 0% science.

The AT637 actually cleans the stylus, which is why I use it.

PS If you want a credible opinion ask Dynavector. I’m sure they’ll tell you exactly what they think of the Linn green stuff! (They recommend the soft brush they supply with the cart and fluid they make).

I’ve nothing whatsoever against Peter Swain even though I’ve never needed anyone to set a Linn up for me, but just look and think about this for yourself. First identify exactly where the playing surface of the stylus is and how it contacts the groove wall. Now ask yourself how rubbing a bit of abrasive paper flat across the very bottom of the tip helps! 100% marketing bullshit, 0% science.

The AT637 actually cleans the stylus, which is why I use it.

PS If you want a credible opinion ask Dynavector. I’m sure they’ll tell you exactly what they think of the Linn green stuff! (They recommend the soft brush they supply with the cart and fluid they make).

Well as I said I've used it for years and it works for me thats what matters,the brush supplied is good at the odd bit of fluff removal, wasn't aware dynavector still made the fluid.

advertisement

Back