advertisement

Elneum 23R Amplifier

For just an extra grand you get three legs!

I am always somewhat amazed (or would that be amused?) at those things that measure downright awful on the test bench, yet manage to sound great according to the varying ears that listen to them. While measurements of various bits obviously have meaning, maybe many also really do not matter as much as we are told they should.o_O
Same with my Lyngdorf 3400. Just read the most damning review of it on one of the measurement sites. Good job the bins are being collected tomorrow.

There is a U.K. distributor and I know The Audio Barn have one in stock.

FcVNw4R.jpg

And they sound amazing. :)

Somewhere I read that NORD sounded as good as Enleum!! (I noted it,as I'm using NORD amp currently.)
As to weird makes....I'm getting Diptyque DP 77 speakers soon.

I've been on the lookout for an end-game solid-state integrated amplifier for some time and the Enleum amp looks very promising.

However, the most interesting designs that have come to my attention (from Norma Audio, Soulnote and now Enleum) all feature a very low (10KOhms) input impedance and so are not good matches with valve source components, which generally have a high output impedance.

I've noticed that there seems to be a trend in solid-state amplifier design towards specifying low input impedances and this is frustrating for those of use who believe that valve preamp stages are superior to their transistor counterparts.

I wonder why it is that high end manufacturers fail to address this crucial impedance matching issue?

Would they claim that adding input buffer circuitry would have an impact on sound quality?

I rather suspect that they are simply unaware of the problem but, at these elevated price levels, that is inexcusable.

You may believe valve pres to be superior to their solid state counterparts. There will certainly be instances where that is the case. However, the Enleum is very clearly designed to be an integrated and every review currently available makes it very clear that you are wasting your time adding a pre as it won’t better what the Enleum does.

The choice is to stick to your dogma of choice or accept that both the manufacturers and reviewers might actually know what they’re talking about having tried it.

You've misunderstood the point I was making. I was referring to the output stage of valve sources, such as DACs and phono stages, so probably shouldn't have used the term "preamp stage". I wouldn't want to use a separate preamp with a high end integrated amp - defeats the whole purpose of buying a top class integrated.

As to whether my belief in the superiority of small signal valve amplification is dogma, well aren't we all entitled to express an opinion based on our own experience? Isn't that what makes this audio hobby so fascinating?

And since when have reviewers' opinions been anything other than entertainment, suggestions for further investigation of the item under review? You have no more reason to accept their views/experiences as fact than you do mine!

Happy to apologise for misunderstanding your point. I hope you’ll take my use of “dogma” as slightly tongue in cheek. We all bring our own preferences/prejudices to the table. My source is an Innuos Zenith 3 into a Chord Hugo TT2 so I’ll have the choice of amp or DAC mode. I do appreciate that with a valve oriented source your position may be different.

Have just contacted Enleum for a view on how well the 23-R might mate with my 16ohm Zu. I think Darko mentioned Zu in his review but that was 8ohm. Also contacted the UK distributor who kindly identified the current 3shops selling it. I am hundreds of miles away from all but, by chance, may be in Dundee soon, which puts me 35 miles away from Fife which gives me a long shot at a demo if I can sneak away from a 17 year olds university open day. The on;y other option seems 90 day sale or return.

The shop I mentioned above will loan you one for a week for a deposit if you cannot get to a shop. Better to try in your own system at home.

It is an excellent amp.

advertisement

Back