advertisement

Stylus Brushes

I also have an AT 637 but my stylus rarely needs this (RCM records)

I know it's a cliche but getting a half decent vacuum record cleaner has been my biggest upgrade in years. I buy lots of second hand vinyl and it's a relief to not have to worry about gunged up stylii!

If that is anything like as good and reliable as the AT637 it is worth every penny of the asking price IMO. My 637 is likely the best hi-fi accessory I’ve ever bought and I've had 40+ years use out of it so far. The pad still looks brand new!
It's one of those dilemmas, if I don't buy at the low price will my AT637 pack up after the price goes up? :)

Been using this stuff for what seems like forever. It never seems to go down.

Perfectly safe so far on a Nag MP300 after nearly 4 years.

Have a Moth cleaner so only use it when required.

CkPMS2M.jpg

Like the AT unit it's a piezo device with a pad glued. Should do the same service.

I wonder how easy it would be to cobble up something? My AT 637 is still fine after thirty years so I’m happy.You don’t need the light, just the mech?

I know it's a cliche but getting a half decent vacuum record cleaner has been my biggest upgrade in years. I buy lots of second hand vinyl and it's a relief to not have to worry about gunged up stylii!
I think it's sage advice, not a cliche. Having one rescues old vinyl and extends the life of your kit - what's not to like?

Been using this stuff for what seems like forever. It never seems to go down.

Perfectly safe so far on a Nag MP300 after nearly 4 years.

Have a Moth cleaner so only use it when required.

CkPMS2M.jpg
Looks like the brush from a Discwasher SC-2 kit.

Y'know, I think you might be right. It's getting on a bit now, but it still works.

A couple of strokes from the LP9 nail varnish brush across the top of it then a gentle back to front on the stylus and it's done.

Oof, choices - DS Audio ST-50 (seems crazy expensive for what it is, but good reviews etc), Audio Zomba mentioned above (anyone here got/used one?), or AT637?

What about Stylast stuff which has been going for yonks? Wonder if this, when applied to the AT637 brush/pad, would be more effective than a wee drop of IPA (not the pale ale!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R4T42JR/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Really fine and densely packed but very soft bristles.
Unfortunately they are horrendously expensive.......
I use the 2 small ones and gained brownie points for passing the larger ones on to my better half..

I use the small round type and with my arthritic hands find it poses less risk to the stylus than those dense bristled carbon type brushes. Also use a VP Dustbuster every few LP sides, plus 4 or 5 quick dips in a piece of Magic Eraser every 10 or so LPs. Can't remember when I last had a gunked-up stylus. My microfibre brush was actually advertised as a stylus brush...on ebay I think it was.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
FWIW I have been using a Discwasher SC2 brush for years and years...one swipe from back to front is all that's required. The SC2 is no longer available but one can sometimes find them on ebay. Project makes something similar and it works quite well. I also use Stylast liquid to treat the diamond.

I’ve never seen one in action but the thought of putting a stylus on any vibrating surface makes me wince as much as sand paper does.

I’ve never seen one in action but the thought of putting a stylus on any vibrating surface makes me wince as much as sand paper does.

It is effectively what you do every time you play a record! The AT is very high frequency, I’ve not taken a guitar tuner to it (I’ll do so later out of curiosity!), but I’d guess somewhere around 800 Hz to 1kHz, and it is very subtle/gentle. It certainly places no more stress on the tip or generator than tracking a record.

It's those batteries that came with AT637 that I'd like to get ahold of. Things lasted for decades.

I’ve switched mine to a Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable as I’d hate some crappy modern alkaline Duracell or Energiser to leak in there!

advertisement

Back