advertisement

Today I am a small blue thing..

sq225917

Bit of this, bit of that
I've been given a thing. A small blue, floppy, stretchy, insignificant thing.

It is without doubt the largest single analogue upgrade I've experienced in over a decade.

It has taken a laser to my analogue playback, and unleashed upon me a tidalwave of improved, focus, enhanced resolution, more hyper realistic timbre, it's extracted unfound levels of nuance and unlocked levels of refinement I previously thought hadn't existed.

It has utterly confounded me by unleashing a level of refinement and realism I didn't think could be pressed into a slab of vinyl.

What is it? Its a bloody belt. A 170mm ring of squidgy rubber. The world's not right tonight, not at all, something very wrong is afoot under my platter.

They're making magic under there... and I don't know how. I intend on finding out though, it shall be subjected to a variety of measured tests this weekend.

Si

A new drive belt on a TT can make a big difference in my experience. I am sure there are good objective reasons why this is the case that is way beyond my level of understanding. Subjectively I do think that initially, small changes can seem very big the first time you notice them, on subsequent listens they seem less so, again I am sure more knowledgeable people will know why this is so. I will just continue enjoying changes I think make the system sound better and returning to the previous if the change doesn't make it sound better.

I wasn't aware that I was having trouble it's a moderately new, less than year old, genuine linn belt. But this has me questioning my sanity.

I told Mike I'd try one, wasn't looking for an upgrade, but my deck has separate motor pod so allows for fiddling and measures thereof that most decks don't, so offered it up to Mike as test point.

Numbers to follow

Very much enjoying mine on the TD-124, but that is fixing an obvious issue with currently available belts (they are all way too tight for the 50Hz pulley!). TD-124 belts are a whole different ballpark to slow running long Linn/TD-160 belts etc. They move real fast (motor is 1400rpm or so) and can generate a heck of a lot of noise if anything at all is wrong. This one being the right length and a nice compliant material results in the quietest running I’ve ever had from my 124. Less sideways pull and stress on the motor bushings etc, plus the motor decoupling can work as intended as the belt doesn’t pull sideways to anything like the same extent. There is a break-in period of a couple of days before it gets really quiet, but once there it seems to stay running very well.

I’d certainly recommend this to anyone with a TD-124 as I honestly believe every other available belt is the wrong length (they attempt to be a fudge for both the 50Hz and 60Hz motor pulley, and there is best part of a cm difference in ideal belt length between them!). This is a really nice quality belt and actually the right size for the task it has to do. There is a different belt for either pulley option.

I agree, though I'm shocked I don't trust me ears, I'll be getting the scope out and doing some a2d tests this weekend to see what's actually changed.

I absolutely do trust my ears, and far more so than any random test tone measurement. It’s easy with a 124. It’s just quieter. You don’t even need to play a record to know that!

I have to hold myself to the same standards I expect from others Tony, it'd be hypocritical of me to not do so. I can't call bullshit on pointless bits of foo and then tell people about a great new thing but only tell them it's great because I say so.

Also, knowing what makes things better helps us all make more informed choices.

I have to hold myself to the same standards I expect from others Tony, it'd be hypocritical of me to not do so. I can't call bullshit on pointless bits of foo and then tell people about a great new thing but only tell them it's great because I say so.

Also, knowing what makes things better helps us all make more informed choices.
Fair enough. I hope you find something definitive.

I've been given a thing. A small blue, floppy, stretchy, insignificant thing.

It is without doubt the largest single analogue upgrade I've experienced in over a decade.

It has taken a laser to my analogue playback, and unleashed upon me a tidalwave of improved, focus, enhanced resolution, more hyper realistic timbre, it's extracted unfound levels of nuance and unlocked levels of refinement I previously thought hadn't existed.

It has utterly confounded me by unleashing a level of refinement and realism I didn't think could be pressed into a slab of vinyl.

What is it? Its a bloody belt. A 170mm ring of squidgy rubber. The world's not right tonight, not at all, something very wrong is afoot under my platter.

They're making magic under there... and I don't know how. I intend on finding out though, it shall be subjected to a variety of measured tests this weekend.

Si
You are peter belt and i claim my £5.
sry;)

advertisement

Back