advertisement

Courtiestown - Naim Amplifier (Avondale) Upgrade Project

I have been buying Chinese stainless steel ones for my Hackernaps, I guess RS need to justify there vastly expensive prices some how.

Pete

Pete,

Quick check on eBay. 100off M3 x 20mm pan head screws £5.52 (inc. 'free' postage), RS £5.93 so if already making an RS order.................. That isn't to say RS can't be beaten more substantially.

I have spent hours chasing down 'cheaper' prices but you also need to ask what your own time is worth doing the searching to save, in some cases, pennies?:D

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

I'm currently going around in ever decreasing circles on the LED front.

Both CAP6's are identical in that:-

1. The PCB's are the same
2. They are fitted with identical components throughout i.e diodes, capacitors, LED load resistors and LED's
3. The LED dropping resistors are as shown in a previous photograph at 20k
4. On one board the LED's light up quite happily and on the other not.

Without thinking to try them out I have fitted 'new' LED's and still no joy.

More head scratching. Tested the LED's that have been removed as 'non-functional' and they test good on my Fluke and light up red at 1.65V and green at 1.85V.

I've come away from it for a while to type this EM and have a beer whilst considering what I am missing, help definitely required.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

So tonight's question is when is a plated through hole not a plated through hole??????????

The next photograph tells all:-

YZe2CN5.jpg

It's not overly pretty but:-

vxxs2Lm.jpg

The LED's now light up......................................

PCB's back in the box and I'm getting ±51.5V and ± 58.7V.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Richard
The LED dropping resistors are as shown in a previous photograph at 20k
20k is maybe a bit high, 2.7K @ 53V supply will light the LED @20ma, 3k @ 60v, 4.7K will give you a dim light and a good bleed resister when switching off
Anything up to 10K would work and I would use the same colour LED for both + & - phase

Alan

I've had good service from these guys for s/s screws etc.

https://www.ebay.com/str/kaysfasteners

Those are quite good prices, just ordered some M3 x 20mm.

Currently sat listening to London Grammar's 'Truth is a Beautiful Thing', where the hell was that bass hiding under the Naim amplification??? Bearing in mind the rear woofers are still driven by a NAP250 - possibly to be changed by this time tomorrow.

Regards

Richard

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Good Morning All,

Have listened to a couple of 'go to' tracks this morning i.e. Madonna's 'Drowned World/ Substitute for Love' and Lady Gaga's 'Always Remember us this Way', something substantial has changed on the bass front. OK the streamer is at a volume level of 80 but the bass is literally 'crawling out of the floor' and is under near complete control.

I must go and let the horses out and get on with assorted chores, I can't just sit here listening to music...........

Regards

Richard

Graham,

DdmqLFD.jpg

That's all four links cut.

Still got to double check the wiring again later this morning.

Also need to work out quite how you attach the feet.........., I clearly need to look out the box I bought off you or the video's......

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Box arrived from Digi-Key this morning:-

sNYJSZT.jpg

Lots of bits maybe????????

0ynw8RG.jpg

No just two back order Zeners - a case of excessively large packaging???????

Regards

Richard

Maybe not advertise your home address and phone number on the internet?

Agreed though, ridiculous packaging.

Edit, just realised, that's most likely not your home address is it!

Good Afternoon All (again),

The house address is well known in various quarters not least of which when I was Secretary of a Land-Rover club and it is also a listed business address for my (limited) business in the marine world.

Have just completed another check of board/amplifier wiring so will shortly power this thing up........., still time for another mug of tea though. This picture from this morning after the bottom panel was fitted c/w anti-vibration feet including felt pads:-

FAf1SmV.jpg

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Good Evening All,

There's been a setback today in that I finally decided to get on with powering the amplifier up and almost immediately it was apparent that something was amiss. I was seeing circa 2.2 - 2.3V bias but was seeing very high voltages on the speaker terminals i.e. -38V one side and -49V the other.

I have been in contact with Graham and will be carrying out further investigations tomorrow.

I'm not too disheartened more mystified. I see the stereo 'Voyager' as a more 'complex' build than this amplifier.

Having gotten to the bottom of the power supply issues I was quite happy that they were performing correctly.

At no point was any power knowingly applied to the NCC300 boards before the links were cut. Everything was 'dead' as the loom was made up.

Graham assures me the boards worked when they left him.

In terms of power there are only 7 connections to the boards. A positive, negative and earth to the MiniCap6 from the regulator side of the board and a positive, negative and two earths from the top half of the board to the CAP6. TBH just how difficult can it be?????

The wiring has been checked repeatedly. The link cables I've made up as part of the loom have all been tested for continuity. That they go from and to the correct location has been checked repeatedly.

Having said this something has taken out both boards.

Suggestions welcome.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back