advertisement

Exposure is the new naim

yuckyamson

pfm Member
Just saw the release of the new vxn series from exposure. Simple black boxes with power supplies and straight forward electronics.

For a while I'd lost hope in exposure after they veered the classic line (17, 18, 14/9 4dr, etc.) In favor of flashier looking stuff but this current lineup seems every bit as solid as the farlowe era kit....while still keeping it (the kicker) , reasonably priced.

The latest offerings from Naim are just so expensive that although the dna is there, the purpose just seems lost when you consider that the products no longer feel like the amplifiers for the common man.

That is what I see, anyway.

Big Naim chrome bumper fan here but if I was to invest big money on amps, I would give a try to Exposure 5010 series before anything at similar price from Naim.
I'm also the happy owner of an Exposure 21 preamp and to me, it looks like a two into one unit where the Hicap is integrated in the preamp instead of a separate box.

Just saw the release of the new vxn series from exposure. Simple black boxes with power supplies and straight forward electronics.

For a while I'd lost hope in exposure after they veered the classic line (17, 18, 14/9 4dr, etc.) In favor of flashier looking stuff but this current lineup seems every bit as solid as the farlowe era kit....while still keeping it (the kicker) , reasonably priced.

The latest offerings from Naim are just so expensive that although the dna is there, the purpose just seems lost when you consider that the products no longer feel like the amplifiers for the common man.

That is what I see, anyway.

The MCX was a departure for Exposure but that excepted have remained understated throughout the Farlowe/Classic/2010/3010/5010 series imo, all very much of the same form really. XM was for those who wanted a smaller system and I liked the XM top loader. The new VXN does appear similar to the previous XM series with active xovers etc.

Big Naim chrome bumper fan here but if I was to invest big money on amps, I would give a try to Exposure 5010 series before anything at similar price from Naim.
I'm also the happy owner of an Exposure 21 preamp and to me, it looks like a two into one unit where the Hicap is integrated in the preamp instead of a separate box.

I think the stars of Exposure were the 2010S2 (better than the "S") and the 2010S2D (same as the 2010S2, except for AV bypass). There is no need to upgrade to the new ones as they use more surface SMD components and are more expensive than before. Well combined with the right speakers, these amplifiers that I mention can give amazing results, of a high level and being on the same level as much higher cost amplifiers. I enjoyed a 3010S and now I have a 2010S2 and they are wonderful, maybe I like the 2010S2 better.

The good thing about this is that the 2010 ones are at very affordable prices for the magnificent sound result they offer and with very good components.

I think the stars of Exposure were the 2010S2 (better than the "S") and the 2010S2D (same as the 2010S2, except for AV bypass). There is no need to upgrade to the new ones as they use more surface SMD components and are more expensive than before. Well combined with the right speakers, these amplifiers that I mention can give amazing results, of a high level and being on the same level as much higher cost amplifiers. I enjoyed a 3010S and now I have a 2010S2 and they are wonderful, maybe I like the 2010S2 better.

The good thing about this is that the 2010 ones are at very affordable prices for the magnificent sound result they offer and with very good components.
Surface mounted components make these very difficult to repair so I too tend to stay away as well.

I remember going from a XX super to first edition 2010 I was disappointed.
Those XV/XX Farlowe amps were really good.
That was 20 odd years ago

What speakers are you using with the 2010S2?

s.

I remember going from a XX super to first edition 2010 I was disappointed.
Those XV/XX Farlowe amps were really good.
That was 20 odd years ago

Yes, the original 2010 was not near as good. BUT, the s2 version was a completely different amp than the original 2010. BUT, you should now hear the new 3510! Wow!

I've been giving the XM5 integrated amp some serious consideration lately

I'm thinking this coupled with their phono stage would be a good step up from my NAD

Definitely need a home demo on this one

Just saw the release of the new vxn series from exposure. Simple black boxes with power supplies and straight forward electronics. .
I thought the vxn range was just crossover components for use with a very small number of speakers e.g. Kudos Titan.

I have the XM3 phono stage though and it's better (to me) than any other sub-£1k stage I've tried.

Yes, the original 2010 was not near as good. BUT, the s2 version was a completely different amp than the original 2010. BUT, you should now hear the new 3510! Wow!
There was a big change from 2010 to 2010S. The 2010S improved a lot, even gave more current and power, among other things.

The 2010S2 improves on the 2010S, according to Tony Brady has higher damping factor and a more reliable and higher quality input selector. Textual words: S2 sounds better than S.

What speakers are you using with the 2010S2?

s.
Hello. I have 3 pairs of speakers. Some Spanish called "Pulsar Audio Ambiente Monitor Revelator" can be seen on the "studio22.es". Very balanced and easy to amplify, they use very good quality transducers. I also have with the Exposure some Harbeth M30 as well as some Diapason Adamantes 3, which are the best for my taste, although I do not have them with the Exposure because they are a little more demanding and I have for them a Pass Labs int150.

Both Pulsar and Harbeth go great with Exposure with all styles of music.

advertisement

Back