advertisement

Linn Sondek LP12 : Purpose built, or not and to what Spec ?

The OP asked for views, so here's mine.

Buy a new Majik-level LP12 if that's within your budget. For your hard-earned, you get a plinth variety of your choice and the best bearing Linn has ever made. You'll also have the privilege of a brand-new LP12 with no question about its provenance or state of wear. Over time, you can upgrade the PSU, tonearm, sub-chassis as and when opportunities arise. In the meantime, you'll have a deck that's visually to your liking, with a sound that Linn intended.

Going down the second-hand parts route and cobbling together an LP12 of mixed pedigree is just too fraught in uncertainties for me. But starting with a known baseline, you can better judge whether the next incremental upgrade takes you in the direction you want. That being said, do have a listen to a Majik LP12 first and see if that alone floats your boat.

FWIW - the view from Cymbiosis is that using a new base model, they will build a better sounding Linn than the Majik for the same price or cheaper.

FWIW - the view from Cymbiosis is that using a new base model, they will build a better sounding Linn than the Majik for the same price or cheaper.
I enquired what I’d need to add to get a fully working new LP12 based on the £2K deck which would have the Karousel, obvs need tonearm/cart.

subchassis (majik, kore or keel)​

power supply (majik, lingo 4 or radikal)​

motor (comes with lingo 4 or radikal)​

baseboard (solid or trampolinn)​

I enquired what I’d need to add to get a fully working new LP12 based on the £2K deck which would have the Karousel, obvs need tonearm/cart.

subchassis (majik, kore or keel)​

power supply (majik, lingo 4 or radikal)​

motor (comes with lingo 4 or radikal)​

baseboard (solid or trampolinn)​

Gus - you are welcome to demo/borrow my LP12 trampolin/Karousel/Lingo4/project arm and Adikt.

all set up by our nearest Linn dealer - Robbie at Robert Ritchie!

John

The problem with using a Majik deck is that the sub-chassis ties you to a Linn arm. And Linn arms are crazy poor value. A Mechanics Kit would be better as it doesn't come with a sub-chassis. Still van expensive way to get an LP12 though but if you want new.

I have had the same LP12 since the early eighties. It has had various changes over the years. Power supply, arm, cartridge, subclasses and bearing. The biggest single improvement in performance came from recently fitting the Karousel . To me the obvious way to start is with the base model and get Cymbiosis to build you a LP 12. That way you start with the best foundation - the Karousel bearing.

The Majik subclasses can be specified to fit Linn, Rega, SME or Naim arms.

You’ll not go wrong with Cymbiosis.

They're all fundamentally the same. Yeah, newer ones with alloy sub-chassis and trick power supplies sound better but it's all incremental. Most of the upgrades to the LP12 made a slight difference. You go back to an early one, or an Ariston to a mid eighties or even later and all the big bits are the same. And they all sound similar. You put a good arm on an old Ariston and it'll beat a later LP12 with a Basik arm on it.

Would I buy a new one? No. Just too darn expensive for what you're getting. I'd buy the nicest used one you can find and change it to suit what you want.

As is usual I fundamentally disagree with Mr Pig, Not all upgrades are incremental and make a slight difference, some are step changes and make a huge difference.

For this reason I'd recommend buying a new deck is actually the best value approach.

Unless youre an expert the second hand market is fraught with danger. There are very few bargains out there, and lemons abound.

The most expensive approach is probably selling the LP12 you already have to then purchase an expensive rega deck, to then change your mind and buy another Linn and then sully it with cheap aftermarket 'upgrades'.

Start with a basic deck and have the fun of upgrades. I only bought mine in 1989!

Karousel definitely makes a big difference, mine sounds awesome now.

I think you'll be very impressed with what the Mantra can do should you take it to the demo as Paul Mc suggests.

Do you mean I will be impressed by how close it sounds compared to a LP12, or that the dealer can add a new tonearm for example and make it sound much better ?

Do take the Mantra with you to the dem. A lovely deck I'd be happy to take off your hands for £250.

Yes it is nice. I suspect I will be keeping it though :).

And because it is a 1980s turntable - it probably resembles a LP12 of the same age, albeit of lower quality, and thus part of my mindset is that I should logically upgrade to the best LP12 that I can afford with some key recent updates in order to have a different sounding turntable with a tighter modern sound, but not losing that Linn magic.

The problem with using a Majik deck is that the sub-chassis ties you to a Linn arm. And Linn arms are crazy poor value. A Mechanics Kit would be better as it doesn't come with a sub-chassis. Still van expensive way to get an LP12 though but if you want new.
The Project carbon arms fit..and they are excellent vfm imo.

I got a secondhand LP12 a bit over a year ago at this point. I've been happy with it, but it does have severe limitations which make it expensive to own. I bought mine with an Ittok and a recapped Valhalla + DV 10x5 + Trampolin + new silver tonearm cable, and a few other things. I took it in for service + a rebuild at Accent on Music in Mt Kisco. They were very nice, but were urging me to make a lot of upgrades. Considering the money I had already put into the service + purchasing the deck initially, I would just maybe switch to a more versatile player that could handle easy change of cartridges and maybe my 78s -- like a TD124 or a new Technics 1200G. I've never had either to compare, but if I do end up leaving the LP12, it would be towards consolidating my two separate systems into one. Don't know what type of record collector you are, but would consider this if you are thinking the LP12 would be your final deck.

I would also add that if you are moving around at all -- or an anxious person -- the whole question of whether the LP12 is tuned and in proper set-up, is also something which can drive you nuts. Best stay off the LP12 threads for that !

EDIT: Would also add, if you collect any experimental LPs which make you play with the speed of a record, you're out of luck with the Linn.

advertisement

Back