advertisement

What is the value of your hifi compared to your annual salary / income?

I cannot rememember all the prices of items purchased over twenty years, but I consider it a good investment when you consider enjoyment and resale value. Quality Hi-Fi is more durable compared to other electronic devices . My set up would also cost in today's money 50% of my annual pension.
P.S. The question also brings to mind a bumper sticker in the back window of a full size Tonka truck. "HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS"

Given that many have posted what their systems consist of, be careful if you don’t wish to publicise your income!

with the exception of the LP-12, Ittok, Kairn and 1 Klout, which were purchased new 20 + years ago, the bulk of the system has been purchased used, at substantial discount. So, current system value is a small fraction of my lowly civil servant salary.

Are we talking in terms of replacement as new value or what you actually paid for it?

For me that would be the difference between about 20% and 100%

I don't actually know, it's been acquired over a long time frame, some new and some pre owned. I don't think I've ever spent over 15% of my annual income in one year

Based on my salary alone (excluding benefits), my kit cost 5.6% of my annual salary. If I had to replace it like for like, it would cost 18% of my annual salary.

Cheers BB

If I’m taking the entire cost including room treatment then approx 50% of yearly income (pip/disability), although I did sell my mk2 golf road/track car last year which paid for everything.

I think I’m at around 50% of my annual salary for the main rig.
Is that gross or after HMRC have taken their cut? I would say about 50% of my take-home as an "insurance replacement value", though some of the stuff has been with me for many years so I would have purchased at a lower price.

Is that gross or after HMRC have taken their cut? I would say about 50% of my take-home as an "insurance replacement value", though some of the stuff has been with me for many years so I would have purchased at a lower price.

Gross, replacement cost. A slightly silly post I guess!

With most of my hifi 40 years old, very little to nothing. Better to ask how much I have spent on LPs and CDs over the same period. The music is precious, the hifi just a means of listening, the room treatment for aesthetics only - I prefer to give more of my "income" away to Charity than I would ever spend on unnecessary "upgrades".

advertisement

Back