advertisement

How do we feel about Valery Gergiev?

R-J

Should we ignore VG's support of Putin or should we expunge Gergiev from our libraries? Is art separate from politics or do we try to oppose any validation Putin might receive from the world of the arts?

Just searched my newly Discogs catalogued music collection and I have nothing to expunge. By saying that I do have some records from members of the actual Nazi Party (Schwarzkopf, Furtwangler, Karajan etc).

Very interesting question. Gergiev's no great loss IMO, I think he's been grossly over-rated for years. I have some of his recordings, none of them are essential

However, what about other Russian musicians? - there are many and some of them are well embedded in UK institutions:
Vasily Petrenko - former RLPO and now Royal Philharmonic chief - and critically acclaimed on many levels
Vladimir Jurowski - chief at the London Phil - and a great conductor IMO
Maxim Emelyanychev - chief at the Scottish Chamber Orchestra

I'd not want to be without their recordings..... but if any of them stood up and gave Putin their support or backed the invasion in any way I could change my mind about that.

Have recently been playing my Shostakovich Barshai box for some reason. Has Gergiev offered his interpretation?

Have recently been playing my Shostakovich Barshai box for some reason. Has Gergiev offered his interpretation?

He recorded most of the Shostakovich symphonies in 2000s on Philips or Decca I think. I've got a few of them and they never get an airing. Barshai is much better.

If you take into account that Putin and his thugs are in the habit of murdering anyone they consider a nuisance, requiring someone with a home and/or relatives in Russia to publicly repudiate him is setting the bar unreasonably high. On the other hand, if he actively endorses the current regime then there are plenty of other conductors.
One can only admire those Russian citizens brave enough to tell western media how ashamed they feel for their country.

I've made sure that Gergiev never made it into my collection in the first place. Apart from the fact that he's hugely overrated, he's been a rightwing Putin supporter for 20 years.
Netrebko is another matter. I think she's a star. But not surprised that she is loyal to Putin as well. She's placed in a dark corner for now.

advertisement

Back