advertisement

B4UDJK5.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. There's a 3 seater sofa that sits on the wall opposite the SBL's. I sit to the far right end of it watching movies and stuff and sit to the left with my feet up on the table whilst listening to vinyl.

The other half sits in a chair to the right of the sofa, in the corner. That's the sweet spot for the AV stuff (sub is behind the chair and it rumbles nicely there)

It's not perfect . The room is 28 x 12 foot. The other end is taken up with vinyl and CD storage.

Agree on both, I don't like brands that offer upgrades on their models. It's a way of saying we are going to take your money all your life! I know I don't have to do it but knowing myself I would do it so I've kept myself away from all those brands, I have components in my setup for 20 years with no change at all. EQ is also great to have, so many people spend thousands on cables to change their sound but they can't stand EQ...o_O

Its a personal preference, there's merits in buying once, or complete swaps, or gradual upgrades. There's downsides to all of them too.

@Weiss-Man I can't believe the speed at which decent quality hifi passes through your home! :D

Hopefully you've reached a point where there's no further 'itch'. The Boenickes are fab (I've heard them at a demo). The Accuphase reminds of those superb vintage Marantz receivers

If this is the hope, he must never put a Linn KDSM/3 in front of the Accuphase :D

Our new music room is a few weeks away from being ready but I couldn’t resist plonking the system down for a quick listen. :)

I can’t imagine there’s many people using LS3/5A with class D amplification and I did approach the pairing with some trepidation but I have to say that even in this undressed room it sounds startlingly good.

I haven’t ever had the pleasure of the Falcons before but I knew I’d need a smaller speaker for this room, so when a pair popped up at a good price it seemed a good opportunity to audition. I expected the super transparent mids, sure, but they’re far punchier and lively than I thought they would be and they are surprisingly good with techno. The imaging is a hairs on the back of the neck up job … sound appears from well past either side of the speakers, and the reproduction of micro details is incredible.

All in all I’m very impressed. I have a pair of Tab 10s to compare with, but they’re going to have to be very very good to get a look in.

Oh, and the sponge is there for some critical sound absorption, expertly placed by my toddler boy.

Last edited:
Our new music room is a few weeks away from being ready but I couldn’t resist plonking the system down for a quick listen. :)

I can’t imagine there’s many people using LS3/5A with class D amplification and I did approach the pairing with some trepidation but I have to say that even in this undressed room it sounds startlingly good.

I haven’t ever had the pleasure of the Falcons before but I knew I’d need a smaller speaker for this room, so when a pair popped up at a good price it seemed a good opportunity to audition. I expected the super transparent mids, sure, but they’re far punchier and lively than I thought they would be and they are surprisingly good with techno. The imaging is a hairs on the back of the neck up job … sound appears from well past either side of the speakers, and the reproduction of micro details is incredible.

All in all I’m very impressed. I have a pair of Tab 10s to compare with, but they’re going to have to be very very good to get a look in.

Oh, and the sponge is there for some critical sound absorption, expertly placed by my toddler boy.

I’m in exactly the same position, having just bought a pair of Stirlings, in advance of moving into a new house.

@lordmortlock could you please report back on Tab 10's against your Falcon's.:)

For sure. I had a quick non critical AB last night. There’s certainly more bass with the Tabs, no question. Imaging is comparable, they both sound huge considering the actual dimensions of the things.

The proac treble does seem a little ‘out on its own’ at times … slightly disconnected, like it’s trying to go solo. I’d imagine that’s the combo with the Lindemann amp rather than inherent to the speakers themselves. The Falcons in the other hand are just absolutely, completely coherent. They sound so right and natural.

There is that lack of bass though. I listen to a lot of bass music, from techno through footwork to dubstep to reggae. The proacs are the better speaker for these genres for sure.

They’re both bloody brilliant speakers though. They don’t take up much space either, so no reason to not keep both until finances dictate otherwise.

Last edited:
The Falcons bass performance wouldn’t need much augmentation to be perfectly acceptable. Based on personal experiences I’m very much in the ‘subs are too much of a ballache to integrate with standmounts’ camp, but having been cable agnostic to date I think I’ll try a speaker cable that’s known for bass performance to see if I can hear a positive difference. Something like EWA LS40 @Tarzan ?

advertisement

Back