advertisement

Quadraspire with Rega RP10

Jazzyguy

pfm Member
Maybe a dumb late night post here but…

I’m currently using a 5 shelf Quadraspire Evo and I may be in need of a 6th shelf. (Thinking of a pre/pwr upgrade from integrated).

Will the Rega RP10 see any downside with the added height of the 6th shelf in comparison to my 5 setup currently. Thinking more shelf wobble, stability, etc.

I won’t be adding the wall shelf and have no room for any side shelf.

Thanks!

I had an LP12 teetering on top of a six tier Q4 reference stand with base ( seven tiers all together). I never had a problem but don't know if it would have sounded better with five tiers. I think the Quadraspire racks are very clever - low mass, wobbly and low resonance especially the Q4 reference shelves with the hole in the middle. I see they don't make those anymore.

As long as the top shelf is on legs that can be levelled then you are good to go. (Imo)

Never liked the thought or sound of any turntable on top of my rack (naim fraim)
Whether it was previous LP12 or more current P8

Wall shelf is ALWAYS the way to go ( imo)

Whilst I agree that a wall shelf is the ultimate the OP states "I won’t be adding the wall shelf and have no room for any side shelf"

Maybe a dumb late night post here but…

I’m currently using a 5 shelf Quadraspire Evo and I may be in need of a 6th shelf. (Thinking of a pre/pwr upgrade from integrated).

Will the Rega RP10 see any downside with the added height of the 6th shelf in comparison to my 5 setup currently. Thinking more shelf wobble, stability, etc.

I won’t be adding the wall shelf and have no room for any side shelf.

Thanks!
Like you I can’t accommodate wall shelves so have my TTs on the top shelf of my Quadraspire SVT racks, added the Bronze upgrade also, looks the business. Can’t see any probs adding another shelf or using the TT on top, Quadraspire say 8 is max they recommend.

The RP10 is just as sensitive to what it sits on as any other turntable I've used. Will it work on top of a big rack? Yip. Will it sound its best? Nope. It's your call but personally I don't understand spending that kind of money on a turntable then crippling its performance by not setting it up properly.

Depends on the TT, support and environment, usually you have to compromise unless you have the luxury of a dedicated room/self build.

When I’ve had rooms with a wooden floor I've tended to use a wall shelf, now I have cement floors all my TTs are on the top of racks, once I finish sorting out the PT Too I might put it onto a wall shelf or get the old open frame angle iron TT stand from the 80’s out of storage.

A crippled high performance TT will probably still sound better than a crippled midrange TT.

True, but in some ways a top deck can suffer more than a cheaper one. At that level the performance edge comes from often tiny refinements in construction which can be easily undone. I found that the sound of the RP10 can be successfully ruined by changing the mat or playing it with the lid down.

The thing about a wall shelf though is that you are coupling the turntable to the mass of the wall ?

It's not really any different from a stand coupling to the floor. Turntables seem to like being on wall shelves with even cheap DIY efforts sounding ok.

Yes I do have a pretty basic wall shelf in my second AV system downstairs and it certainly works a treat with my Technics linear tracker.
I might have to try another one In the upstairs system.
My voyd sounds pretty good on my sound factory tripod at the moment.

The thing about a wall shelf though is that you are coupling the turntable to the mass of the wall ?

Surely you are de-coupling from the wall with whatever the tt is sitting on. If the shelf is on spikes that is coupling the shelf to the wall, but using rubber feet on the tt would de-couple, and of course you could use something more expensive like Iso Pucks instead of rubber feet.

Thank you all for the replies. I will order the extra shelf as it seems from the responses that this won’t make a difference. The problem here is with the Rega on the Quadraspire to begin with, I can’t change this. 5 shelves or 6 shelves not much difference.

Also, I realized I can get shorter poles for every shelf making the full size of the rack just 1” taller with the extra shelf. Hopefully this will keep most of the rigidity I have now.

Thank you all again!

Thank you all for the replies. I will order the extra shelf as it seems from the responses that this won’t make a difference. The problem here is with the Rega on the Quadraspire to begin with, I can’t change this. 5 shelves or 6 shelves not much difference.

Also, I realized I can get shorter poles for every shelf making the full size of the rack just 1” taller with the extra shelf. Hopefully this will keep most of the rigidity I have now.

Thank you all again!
I suspect that shorter poles and one more layer will probably make the table more rigid than it is at present, anyway.

While you're doing that, perhaps think about ergonomics - is the TT currently at a good height for ease of use (cueing records, setting VTF, etc) or is it a little lower than might be ideal. If so, then perhaps use a set of your existing, longer poles for the top shelf, to raise it a few cm more. Also means you don't need to buy a complete set of shorter poles and can reuse some of the longer ones.

Thank you all again!
You can see how tall and the look different columns will make on the Q website
https://quadraspire.co.uk/product_builder/uk/Q4EVO.html

Thank you all for the advice. The new configuration…

VTMTe5k.jpg

Any type of rack that's wobbly would not be good news for a Rega deck.
If a wall shelf is completely out of the question then try and get the
Quadraspire as rigid as possible. Maybe try anchoring it to the wall.
I have a seven shelf rack, not Quadraspire, on a suspended wooden
floor, and a bonkers cat, stood the rack on a 3/4 inch bit of plywood
and I've never felt worried about it toppling over.

Regards Andy

Edit: Just seen that you're already sorted it.
Looks good. As long as the rack isn't 'wobbly'
you shouldn't really have a problem.
Anchoring it to the wall would be the next
step if necessary.

I have mixed feeling on wall shelves. Not convinced that they are a better solution.
When I had a wall shelf installed (Target) I didn't seem to enjoy listening to either my old LP12 or Voyd on it.

Now back to using a floor standing table ( sound factory) I am enjoying listening to my Voyd a lot more , don't know why that is? But there it is.

advertisement

Back