advertisement

It’s about time for another LS3/5a ( plus others ) Shootout.

Since I proposed this back in August 2020, things have changed in my life with the unexpected death
of my eldest son.
I’m hoping to go, but haven’t made a decision yet.
Martyn
That is truly awful, sorry to hear that. Nothing can prepare you for an event like that, as I found out in 2020.

Hi all,
In the light of the above I had a quick chat with Martyn and he is happy for the plans for this event to continue.

I visited the venue last night and met a very pleasant group of likeminded hifi folk.
They meet in this space about every 6 weeks (COVid permitting) and are keen to get back on a regular footing.
You can see the space below and the kind of kit they had this time.
The room does present some challenges acoustically but they are good at getting the most out of the space. We had a lo of fun and did get some great sounds, especially with the little valve amp (3w!).

They have tried speaker / kit positioning as below and also along the long side of the room which has worked better for certain speakers and I think might be the way we go if we were to host here.
The venue has great facilities in terms of a kitchen for hot drinks, toilets etc and some parking on site. I think its a great option made much more so by the local people I met who would be able to support.
I'll have a run round those of you who have said you'd like to contribute / get involved and check in.

setup-1.jpg

setup-2.jpg

setup-3.jpg

Ok, so a sweep of the thread has the following list of people interested / kit :

@Martyn - Stirling v3
@Tarzan - Proac Tablette 10
@Nagraboy - Falcon silver badge
@TonyScarlett - Stirling v2, v3, Rogers JR149 and possible Leak Stereo 20
@slavedata - Spendor 15ohm
@BigBlue2020 - Stirling v2 and Harbeth P3ESR
@foxwelljsly - 19918 xlr 11ohm Spendor
@Ianp - Falcon Q7 and Harbeth P3ESR
@PhilofCas - Spendor S3/5R2

This looks a great list with a little doubling up but we can work that out.
Can you please let me know if the above is right and if you're still interested in principle?
And anyone else of course - either just attending or bringing speakers is fine of course

Potential venue is in Whitwell, near Worksop.

In terms of dates, Paul who is my link to the venue suggested they need at least 4 weeks notice and an idea of if weekday evening or weekends is best.
Please let me know thoughts and we will try to pick something that suits the majority.

Ok, so a sweep of the thread has the following list of people interested / kit :

@Martyn - Stirling v3
@Tarzan - Proac Tablette 10
@Nagraboy - Falcon silver badge
@TonyScarlett - Stirling v2, v3, Rogers JR149 and possible Leak Stereo 20
@slavedata - Spendor 15ohm
@BigBlue2020 - Stirling v2 and Harbeth P3ESR
@foxwelljsly - 19918 xlr 11ohm Spendor
@Ianp - Falcon Q7 and Harbeth P3ESR
@PhilofCas - Spendor S3/5R2

This looks a great list with a little doubling up but we can work that out.
Can you please let me know if the above is right and if you're still interested in principle?
And anyone else of course - either just attending or bringing speakers is fine of course

Potential venue is in Whitwell, near Worksop.

In terms of dates, Paul who is my link to the venue suggested they need at least 4 weeks notice and an idea of if weekday evening or weekends is best.
Please let me know thoughts and we will try to pick something that suits the majority.
Just to update, the Stirling V2s have been sold & the Leak is currently for sale so that may change as well.
Happy to volunteer the V3s & JR149s though.

TS

Just to update, the Stirling V2s have been sold & the Leak is currently for sale so that may change as well.
Happy to volunteer the V3s & JR149s though.

TS

If we struggle amp wise I have a Croft Phono Integrated with upgraded output (to 80 wpc) which we could use.
Wouldn't be a terrible option being a valve / solid hybrid and I know others use these or similar...

Hi all,
In the light of the above I had a quick chat with Martyn and he is happy for the plans for this event to continue.

I visited the venue last night and met a very pleasant group of likeminded hifi folk.
They meet in this space about every 6 weeks (COVid permitting) and are keen to get back on a regular footing.
You can see the space below and the kind of kit they had this time.
The room does present some challenges acoustically but they are good at getting the most out of the space. We had a lo of fun and did get some great sounds, especially with the little valve amp (3w!).

They have tried speaker / kit positioning as below and also along the long side of the room which has worked better for certain speakers and I think might be the way we go if we were to host here.
The venue has great facilities in terms of a kitchen for hot drinks, toilets etc and some parking on site. I think its a great option made much more so by the local people I met who would be able to support.
I'll have a run round those of you who have said you'd like to contribute / get involved and check in.

setup-1.jpg

setup-2.jpg

setup-3.jpg
Who's going to bring the rug?

Who's going to bring the rug?

Funny you should say that! I had a chat with Paul at the venue who is getting increasingly frustrated by some of the acoustic limitations and they have a plan hatched for some (portable) treatments. A lot of this does attempt to deal with the very reflective environment.

It’s a bit of a trek for me, but can still do it if I can justify the trip by going to the folks up north. Weekends best. Easter weekend easy as I’m in York for Nick Mason.

Have happily lived with Kans (Have to be the mid 80’s ones with the heavily doped cabs, flush silver banana sockets, kan II stands and hiqophon tweeters) and P3esrs in the past, but the real thing, to my ears, is far more refined, if not quite capable of going so loud.

Ok quick update - we're headed for a weekend date of either last weekend of March or first of April and checking with the venue.
Thanks for the feedback from those who've contacted me with their availability or to confirm kit - I'll keep going back round to check in.

advertisement

Back